Best way to improve. BIAB.No chill.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The jug and grain bag were actually traditional tools of the home brewer way before BIAB was popular here on AHB and the interweb. Simple methods are often the best to start with, and indeed continue with.

1. As you have temp control, have you experimented with different temps, eg fermenting ales with US05 at say 16 or 17 deg C?
2. Very easy to no-chill with a cube or jerrycan (using a silicone hose) - you get the wort off the trub and little chance of infection.
3. More hops!

Great info thanks.
I will try a mash out next brew and maybe sparge with water @ 75C I was running 3-4 lts through the bag sitting on an oven rack over the boil pot after mash but got some off flavours possibly because of it. So thanks Kunfaced.
How can I re-circulate using BIAB?

kunfaced said:
I have been meaning to put one of these on my urn for ages (it's a model that doesn't have its own tap). I have the ball valve, but haven't put it on yet.
One question that I have about it is which side I should put the silicone washer on? Half of the threads and websites about installing one say on the tap side, and the other half say to put it in the kettle side...I take that as to mean that I'd just try one side, if it leaks then try the other side?

goatchop41 said:
I have been meaning to put one of these on my urn for ages (it's a model that doesn't have its own tap). I have the ball valve, but haven't put it on yet.
One question that I have about it is which side I should put the silicone washer on? Half of the threads and websites about installing one say on the tap side, and the other half say to put it in the kettle side...I take that as to mean that I'd just try one side, if it leaks then try the other side?
Either or... outside works well. As a Electric Brewery fanboi:

IMG_1729_letters.jpg

From http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hot-liquor-tank?page=4

Although where I need a compression fitting on the inside of the kettle/tun these are the bomb:
Weldless%20Bulkhead%20MPT%20to%20Compression-280x280.jpg

From http://connorbreware.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_94&product_id=184

1/2" thread to 1/2" compression. One "fixed" nut (part of the bulkhead) and one free (as in loose...). Tightens up crazy well...

Also available from aliexpress, but the dollar aint nearly doing so well against the US as when I bought these before.

Latest posts

Back