Best Single Hop Session Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am making a Jamil Zainasheff Californian Common with all Nothern Brewer hops

Not tried it yet

Pumpy

I am making a Jamil Zainasheff Californian Common with all Nothern Brewer hops

Not tried it yet

Pumpy

Are they American Northern Brewers Pumpy? If so where did you get them from?

I like Pacific Gem, Challenger or Southern Cross as single hop.

C&B
TDA

Green Bullet flowers go choc,or light,love it.

Green Bullet flowers go choc,or light,love it.

I love Green Bullet, best thing to come out of New Zealand since Fisher and Paykel. When I get my stocks up again and can play around, I'm thinking of a 5% ABV single malt, say BB Pilsener, several additions of Green Bullet and US-05.

Should be the refreshing blonde to end all refreshing blondes :rolleyes:

Another green bullet fan here. Did something like Devo's GB Ale recently and loved it. Will be brewed regularly for sure.

Third'd for Green Bullet.
High alpha, smooth bittering, good aroma and flavour... fruity Styrian goldings yet floral and grassy like a Noble hops.
I always make sure I have some in the freezer for bittering or making fragrant lagers and summer ales.

Are they American Northern Brewers Pumpy? If so where did you get them from?

I like Pacific Gem, Challenger or Southern Cross as single hop.

C&B
TDA
TDA,

i noticed them at the craftbrewer website the other day, looks like a recent addition:

link

cheers
j

ps have to agree with fatgodzilla. in my (limited) experience i have not yet found a single hop beer i havent liked ...

Third'd for Green Bullet.
High alpha, smooth bittering, good aroma and flavour... fruity Styrian goldings yet floral and grassy like a Noble hops.
I always make sure I have some in the freezer for bittering or making fragrant lagers and summer ales.

Make that 4. Dumping the dry hopping addition in this arvo B) ,

fifth... only tried it the once though... another one to the list!

My vote goes for Motueka. Bloody lovely luscious fruity hop.

But I gotta ask, why does using only one hop variety save you money?

I get the cheapest high alpha, low cohumulone hop I can find for 60 min additions, then whatever aroma hop takes my fancy for aroma (or whatever is right for style if I'm brewing that way).

If you use low alpha dual purpose hops all the way thru, you use more hops, therefore spend more money. I haven't found a high alpha dual purpose hop that I love yet, but I don't mind Nelson Sauvin.

Oh session recipe/grain bill:

90% pale malt
10% wheat - OR 5% Wheat, 5% white sugar OR 10% White sugar.

I haven't found a high alpha dual purpose hop that I love yet, but I don't mind Nelson Sauvin.

Plenty of good dual purpose hops suit this style IMHO...Amarillo, Galaxy, NS, Southern Cross, Green Bullet, NZ Rakau, ...

Plenty of good dual purpose hops suit this style IMHO...Amarillo, Galaxy, NS, Southern Cross, Green Bullet, NZ Rakau, ...

Amarillo is the new cascade to me. Done enough times for it to be boring.

Will have to try some more of these NZ hops I think. I try to keep one keg full of house ale all the time, so room to experiment. Cheers. I'd like to try galaxy for free once. Every Aussie hop I've had has been disappointing.

Just keged my single hop pale using motueka B saaz I like it hot weather all good ,Its between amarillo and cascade I am liking NZ hops.

Latest posts

Back