Best Place To Get Imports In Adelaide?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rec

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I stumbled across this forum while trying to find outlets in South Australia for quality foriegn brews - it was mentioned that the Parafield airport bottle shop had the wonderful Okocim Porter.

I'm a big fan of Belgian brews particularly, but have been a little dissapointed with my options here in SA. Duvel, Hoegaarden, Belle-vue, Chimay, Leffe - these are names widely available now, but it's not them I'm after.

Dan Murphy's has Gouden Carlos, which is the only hard to find brew they have. The rest are your common items. 1st Choice Liqor on Unley road has the Westmalle Tripel, Delirium Tremens and Rochefort 10 but again, outside of that it's pretty standard.

Gulden Draak is unfound, except at the Belgian Beer Cafe which costs a fortune. Lastly; East End Cellars are the only place that stock La Chouffe, but at $20 for a 750ml bottle it's about $7 over priced.

Where do you guys shop for your imports? Should I be driving up to Parafield? Are there any alternatives? How big is their import beer range and what are some other highlights. Feel free to drop some names, specifically Belgian beers if you know.

Try the Royal Oak on Occonell St. They have a pretty reasonable range.

Hamood's Plonk on Greenhill Rd is generally pretty good.
Cellarbrations on Fullarton Rd has had its moments as well.
That said, I don't stray too far from the British shelves.

Cellarbrations on Fullarton Road has a reasonable range of English brews, but that's about it.

I did go and check out The Royal Oak, and it was a bit of a gold mine. It's the only place in Adelaide I've seen Gulden Draak available for sale on shelves in SA. It also stocks a few other unique Belgian brews that I haven't seen elsewhere - I'll definately be regularly visiting.

I forgot the bottleshop attached to Bar on Gouger and Goodwood Cellars.
Again, I can't comment specifically on the Belgian range.

Hey,

I'm also very new to this forum.. But I might be able to help you out there a little..
Over here in WA we have the "international beer shop" which has a huge range of beers from everywhere.. I imagine you could find some stuff you are looking for there, and if they dont have it, they could most likely get it for you.
I'm not sure what the postage would be to SA though, but theres a thing on the site where you input your post code and it calculates it.

http://www.internationalbeershop.com.au

CHeers

EDIT: not affiliated in any way.. but they do seem to have a huge range of stuff and I thought it might help :)

They may be cheaper but you've got to wonder about their product knowledge. I wasn't aware hops could effect the colour of beer nor that the amount and type of sugar can produce a hundred varieties of beer

http://www.beerstore.com.au/beer-101.asp
I think this site is aimed at the lowest common denominater, I have sent the link to a few of them and they are loving it "seeing it as a whole new awakening" :eek: "do you mean there is more to beer then VB and Carlton Cold" :huh: kind of reactions

Might pop in to Hammond's Plonk on the way home one night and see what it is like now I know it has had a good wrap

I mostly shop at the Dan Murphys just east of the city. But I don't buy beer much.

Yeah I've had some issues with the freshness of stock from that store recently.Go to Marden now and again.

royal oak can't be beat,helpful staff as well.

Yeah I've had some issues with the freshness of stock from that store recently.Go to Marden now and again.

royal oak can't be beat,helpful staff as well.

"Freshness of stock" is really a problem everywhere in some ways i guess but lately I haven't had too many complaints. With the english beers in clear bottles under the floro lights in the fridge at royal oak they even seem to be holding up well. When you see the belgians that look dusty and like they have been on the shelf forever at dan murphys it gives some cause for concern but the Gouden carolus from them is aways top notch.

Anyway its good to hear from a non brewer here that buys these beers as ussually the non brewers you see in those bottle shops are looking at buying things like cartons of becks as there choice.

Dan murphys do malt shovel slabs for only 45 bucks even the seasonal ones so i give them full points on that alone.

I always foung the BWS on Kensington Rd (on the left after leaving the city. Before Portrush Rd) as having the best range across the board.
Havent been there for a while so things may have changed. Anyone know?

cheers

Darren

I always foung the BWS on Kensington Rd (on the left after leaving the city. Before Portrush Rd) as having the best range across the board.
Havent been there for a while so things may have changed. Anyone know?

cheers

Darren

That ones been on a downward spiral for a few years now, last time I went in about a year ago they still had a dusty six pack of lawrence victor on the shelf for 26 bucks and that brewery closed down and sold up about 3 years ago :eek: .

No idea what they have now but that store was always worth a look if your in the area as once upon a time they had a walls of great beer.

Back a few years ago that place was unreal. :super:

I love Perth's International Beer Shop - I frequented there on my holiday. It's a shame Adelaide doen't have something similar.

I'll check out BWS on Kensington. I won't be going to see any more Dan Murphy outlets. I've tried 3 around the place and in my experiences they are just plain terrible for Belgian imports, stocking only what is widely available. Leffe, Chimay etc.

Beerstore.com.au has a good selection and great prices, but I'm not really fond of ordering alcohol online.

I'll be able to do most of my shopping at The Royal Oak now, except La Chouffe which I can still only find at East End Cellars.

Celebrations - opposite Holdens in Salisbury - Commercial road.

Excellent chioce - also has Gulden Draak - last time i was there.Lots of chioce.

Just to let you guys know - the Royal Oak is now void of decent imports. It has switched from Booze Brothers to BWS, and everything they used to stock which led me there has vanished. Now it's just another bottle shop, unfortunately.

That said, The Bar On Gouger has a fantastic range of imports and is well worth checking out (yes they have a bottle shop attached)!

Just to let you guys know - the Royal Oak is now void of decent imports. It has switched from Booze Brothers to BWS, and everything they used to stock which led me there has vanished. Now it's just another bottle shop, unfortunately.

That said, The Bar On Gouger has a fantastic range of imports and is well worth checking out (yes they have a bottle shop attached)!
It was always going to happen once it got taken over by a supermarket chain. Tis a sad day. This may actually hurt stocks at the Wheaty too as Royal Oak/Booze Brothers were the importer for some of the beers that they and the Wheaty stocked.

Going to the Bar on Gouger's botle shop makes my pockets hurt.

Agree there Aaron BOG - super pricey
JSB

i was in there getting a few brews the other day and everything that wouldn't scan, the bloke gave to me for free (i think he was hungover :) )
still hurt the credit card though...

Back