Style Of The Week 4/3/09 - Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
The warm weather is here but not for long it seems, so maybe it's time to think about beers for the winter. Belgian Dark Strong Ale (BJCP 18E) is a big beer that you can make now but should be ready for the winter (this one or next B) ).

There's been a bit of discussion on AHB about this style here, and this is also very relevant to the choice of yeast.

There's also good info on the Jamil Show.

So what are your tricks for this style. Grains and hops? Can you brew this style with extract and grains? What sugars (if any) do you use? Spices? The very important question of yeast - which strain, temperature, how much of it? How long to let it mature? Favourite commercial examples? Any other advice?

Tell us all you know so we can make great beer. :chug:

18E. Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Aroma: Complex, with a rich malty sweetness, significant esters and alcohol, and an optional light to moderate spiciness. The malt is rich and strong, and can have a Munich-type quality often with a caramel, toast and/or bready aroma. The fruity esters are strong to moderately low, and can contain raisin, plum, dried cherry, fig or prune notes. Spicy phenols may be present, but usually have a peppery quality not clove-like. Alcohols are soft, spicy, perfumy and/or rose-like, and are low to moderate in intensity. Hops are not usually present (but a very low noble hop aroma is acceptable). No diacetyl. No dark/roast malt aroma. No hot alcohols or solventy aromas. No recognizable spice additions.

Appearance: Deep amber to deep coppery-brown in color (dark in this context implies more deeply colored than golden). Huge, dense, moussy, persistent cream- to light tan-colored head. Can be clear to somewhat hazy.

Flavor: Similar to aroma (same malt, ester, phenol, alcohol, hop and spice comments apply to flavor as well). Moderately malty or sweet on palate. Finish is variable depending on interpretation (authentic Trappist versions are moderately dry to dry, Abbey versions can be medium-dry to sweet). Low bitterness for a beer of this strength; alcohol provides some of the balance to the malt. Sweeter and more full-bodied beers will have a higher bitterness level to balance. Almost all versions are malty in the balance, although a few are lightly bitter. The complex and varied flavors should blend smoothly and harmoniously.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation but no carbonic acid bite. Smooth but noticeable alcohol warmth. Body can be variable depending on interpretation (authentic Trappist versions tend to be medium-light to medium, while Abbey-style beers can be quite full and creamy).

Overall Impression: A dark, very rich, complex, very strong Belgian ale. Complex, rich, smooth and dangerous.

Comments: Authentic Trappist versions tend to be drier (Belgians would say more digestible) than Abbey versions, which can be rather sweet and full-bodied. Higher bitterness is allowable in Abbey-style beers with a higher FG. Barleywine-type beers (e.g., Scaldis/Bush, La Trappe Quadrupel, Weyerbacher QUAD) and Spiced/Christmas-type beers (e.g., Nice Chouffe, Affligem Nel) should be entered in the Belgian Specialty Ale category (16E), not this category. Traditionally bottle-conditioned (refermented in the bottle).

History: Most versions are unique in character reflecting characteristics of individual breweries.

Ingredients: Belgian yeast strains prone to production of higher alcohols, esters, and sometimes phenolics are commonly used. Water can be soft to hard. Impression of a complex grain bill, although many traditional versions are quite simple, with caramelized sugar syrup or unrefined sugars and yeast providing much of the complexity. Homebrewers may use Belgian Pils or pale base malt, Munich-type malts for maltiness, other Belgian specialty grains for character. Caramelized sugar syrup or unrefined sugars lightens body and adds color and flavor (particularly if dark sugars are used). Noble-type, English-type or Styrian Goldings hops commonly used. Spices generally not used; if used, keep subtle and in the background. Avoid US/UK crystal type malts (these provide the wrong type of sweetness).
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.075 1.110
IBUs: 20 35 FG: 1.010 1.024
SRM: 12 22 ABV: 8 11%

Commercial Examples: Westvleteren 12 (yellow cap), Rochefort 10 (blue cap), St. Bernardus Abt 12, Gouden Carolus Grand Cru of the Emperor, Achel Extra Brune, Rochefort 8 (green cap), Southampton Abbot 12, Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue), Brasserie des Rocs Grand Cru, Gulden Draak, Kasteelbier Bire du Chateau Donker, Lost Abbey Judgment Day, Russian River Salvation

Chimay Blue is probably my favourite beer at the moment, but its pretty expensive ($8 per stubbie at Dan's, don't expect it get it for less than $15 at a bar) so I've been to do this at home and save big bucks.

I tried the Chimay Blue kit from BrewCraft - forget it. This is made purely from extracts and sugar, and it came out very syrupy and medicinal. Never again.

G&G sells a FWK specially for strong ales - 17L at 1080 OG. They have a recipe for belgian dubbel on their site:
- 17L of FWK #4
- 200g of carahell, 200g of caraamber, 200g of caraaroma, stepped in 2L of water

I have read up about chimay, and apparently it is 10% wheat starch, so I modified this recipe:
- 17L of FWK #4
- specialty grains as above, minimash with 500g of torrifed wheat and 1kg of pilsener malt
- 250g candi sugar (home made)
- post-boil volume 23L
- ferment for 4 weeks (2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary)

BeerSmith tells me that I should expect OG of 1086, unfortunatly I had some family issues during batch sparging of partial mash and rushed the sparge and lost some efficiency. Measured OG was 1080. I didn't have time to make a starter, so used 2 sachets T58 saf wheat yeast. Final SG was 1020, ABV approx 7.6% and colour is like a good brown ale (darker than Newkie brown, not as dark as Tooheys Old) - so I guess this clsssifies as a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, even though recipe was for a Dubbel.

After a month in the bottle this tastes great. I do notice that there is a lot of yeast in the bottom, not sure if this is left over from the fermenter, or if there has been additional fermentation in the bottle (ie apart from priming sugar). 4 weeks may not be long enough in the fermenter.

I still don't have room for a full AG, I can mash up to 3kg of grain which gets me most of the way there for an ordinary quaffer but will leave me well short for something this strong - anyone have a good partial recipe I can use for the next batch I make? I will also use Wyeast - I beleive that one of their yeats is exact Chimay yeast (Jamils site has the details).

Hazard

Does this count as a Belgian Strong Dark?? Brewing this weekend, any feedback would be great :) Going for a fairly darkish malty spicy belgian beer..

4kg NZ Pils
2kg Rye
800g Munich
500g Brown Sugar
150g CaraAroma
150g CaraMunich II

Wyeast 3787

60 : 30g Super Alpha 10.5%
20 : 20g Styrian 5.5%
FO : 15g Styrian 5.5%
Dry hop : 15g Styrian

Hey Stu

This one did surprisingly well for me several years ago. Unfortunately I've not replicated it again. Yeast may seem a strange choice but it made for a wonderful beer. I entered it in Vicbrew as a Trappist but I guess you could call it a Dark Strong.

Hope this helps. :)

Trappist

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 24.00 Wort Size (L): 24.00
Total Grain (kg): 8.61
Anticipated OG: 1.089 Plato: 21.30
Anticipated EBC: 45.1
Anticipated IBU: 28.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81.3 7.00 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 4
2.9 0.25 kg. Weyermann Caramunich II Germany 1.035 167
1.7 0.15 kg. Weyermann Caraaroma Germany 1.034 470
1.7 0.15 kg. Weyermann Acidulated Germany 1.000 5
1.2 0.10 kg. Weyermann Carafa Special I Germany 1.036 1277
0.7 0.06 kg. Flaked Wheat America 1.034 4
10.5 0.90 kg. Yellow Lump Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
22.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 6.00 16.2 75 min.
22.00 g. Saaz Pellet 4.00 10.8 75 min.
5.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 6.00 1.8 30 min.
20.00 g. Saaz Pellet 4.00 0.0 0 min.
15.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3942 Belgian Wheat

Warren -

I love any strong belgian beers.
Ive made a couple of this style, and have plans for more in the future.
If I can make any suggestions:
Keep the grain bill simple, let the flavours come from the yeasts
Avoid any really asringent grains like chocolate malt, consider crafa instead.
Dont ferment too warm, although its fun to watch AbbeyII shooting out the air lock, smoother flavours, and less headaches, result from fermenting in the low range for the yeast.
Dry dry dry ... save any sugar additions till 2/3 thru the ferment. This way the yeastie beasties have chewed out most of the malt (complex sugars) and wont get lazy and ignore them later in the ferment, which can happen if you start with high gravity.
:)
Im on a quest to get a decent replica of Kwak happening, but plan on having plenty of belgian beer ready for winter.

Dry dry dry ... save any sugar additions till 2/3 thru the ferment. This way the yeastie beasties have chewed out most of the malt (complex sugars) and wont get lazy and ignore them later in the ferment, which can happen if you start with high gravity.
:)

I thought I was sposed to add the sugar in the last 10 mins of the boil? :huh:

I did up one of these as a 16l batch for my mate's wedding. I am ageing what is left (I only had three months) but after a month in the bottle it was fantastic. i didn't have any wheat so I used plain flour.

Amount Item Type % or IBU

3.50 kg Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 64.34 %

0.80 kg Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 14.71 %

0.40 kg Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 7.35 %

0.20 kg Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3.68 %

0.04 kg Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 0.74 %

14.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 6.1 IBU

14.00 gm Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 9.6 IBU

14.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (20 min) Hops 3.7 IBU

14.00 gm Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50 %] (20 min) Hops 5.8 IBU

0.50 kg Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 9.19 %

1 Pkgs Belgian Abbey II (Wyeast Labs #1762) Yeast-Ale

I thought I was sposed to add the sugar in the last 10 mins of the boil? :huh:

Better to add it after the yeast has chewed through most of the other sugars or they dive straight for the simple sugars then get lazy and give up, depending on the amount I sometimes make two additions during fermentation always makes for a better result.

Some interesting info there. I think that yeast sounds great for a strong dark, Warren. It's apparently the De Dolle yeast and they make big, dark beers which are great so it should work fine.

Stu it was a repitched slurry from a previous batch of Wit at the time.

The Vicbrew judges said it had a fairly low aroma but with a good spicy malt flavour. Not much more than that I'm afraid it was back in 2002 which pre-dated the BJCP model of judging. :rolleyes:

Warren -

This was my second AG beer I ever did-

6.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White)
0.50 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White)
0.50 kg Munich, Light (Joe White)
1.00 kg Dextrose (approx 10 mins before end of boil)

40.00 gm Hallertauer @ 60
20.00 gm Hallertauer @ 20

1 Pkgs SafBrew T-58

OG - 1086
FG - 1012
Alc - 9.7%

This didn't last very long after approx 2 months in the keg!

Needless to say it was nice, a little hot in fermenting gave it a slight hot alcohol taste, but its wasn't too over powering.

Brewed this a while ago and it is tasting very nice after 4 weeks in primary and almost 3 weeks in secondary (still in fermenter), will keg, carbonate and bottle it over the next week or so. Ended up with an OG of 1.106 and FG of 1.030 (I get low attenuation with T-58 commercially too) and ABV of 10%, a bit lower than I was aiming for but it tastes reasonably well balanced. Not as dark as I would've liked though so borderline strong golden ale.

Cheers, Andrew.

This is the first brew I've made at home for a good 6 months and I've got Millet Woman is helping out to make our wedding beer (we'll give a bottle to all the guests to take home). Should be almost ready to drink by 2 May but will be made to be aged. Something along the lines of a strong Belgian dark ale but of course it's gluten free.

Megandrew Wedding Ale

23 lt Batch
OG 1.100
FG 1.020
EBC 30
IBU 38

4.4 kg Millet pils malt
0.6 kg Millet crystal malt (~100 EBC)
2.8 kg Sorghum extract syrup
750 g Dark Belgian candy sugar

20 g Millenium 14.4%AA 60 min
10 g Galaxy 15.0%AA 60 min
10 g Galaxy 15.0%AA 10 min
10 g Saaz 3.3%AA 10 min
20 g Saaz 3.3%AA 0 min

I'll throw in a little bit of dried pink grapefruit peel, coriander seeds and cardomom pods - not as much as I would use in a wit but enough to give a bit of spice background. Should go well with the passionfruit/grapefruit from the galaxy.

2 packets of T-58 yeast.

Will start fermentation at around 18C and let it run into the low 20's. Not sure about that so any comments would be good.

Cheers, Andrew.

Been thinking on this over the weekend having brewed my Belgian rye in my oh so small BIAB pot, has given me the urge to brew a few really big beers :icon_drool2: Im working on a barleywine, but I also want some kind of Grande Reserve insanity beer which I can cellar for years..

Heres what im playing with - bear with me, its a biggun ;) Assuming 70% efficiency OG of about 1.115, IBU's 58

6.8kg Pale 70%
2kg Munich 20%
390g Cara-Aroma 4%
290g Dark Crystal 3%
190g Carafa 2%
500g Brown Sugar - Added half way through ferment
Wyeast 3787
60 : 25g Southern Cross 13.2%, 25g Super Alpha 10.5%
20 : 20g Styrians 5.5%
10 : 20g Styrians 5.5%

Any thoughts?? Maybe too much Carafa?

I think you could cut back the carafa. It depends on what you want though. There's nothing wrong with including it, but I guess you have to decide on how much coffee/roasted flavours you want. There's no right way with Belgian beers. :icon_cheers:

For comparison, this is the one I made last week. It's still in a cube so no idea how it came out yet. Our recipes are pretty similar, though I kept the IBUs a bit lower than you have.

Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 25.41 L
Estimated OG: 1.098 SG
Estimated Color: 32.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg Bohemian Pilsner (5.9 EBC) Grain 66.95 %
1.33 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 17.87 %
0.17 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 2.28 %
0.17 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 2.23 %
0.05 kg Carafa Special I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC) Grain 0.63 %
30.00 gm Horizon [10.90 %] (60 min) Hops 29.4 IBU
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.75 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (2.0 EBC) Sugar 10.04 %
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) Yeast-Wheat

Cheers Stu :icon_cheers:

Your recipe looks good, reason I went for higher IBU's was cos it may end up quite syrupy and also a bit of extra bitterness would go down well over a couple of years in the bottle yeh?

I was thinking cut back the carafa, I like the coffee notes it gives but I want it to just be sitting in the sideline, do you think id be better with 1%? Cos ill be getting a bit of roast from the cara-aroma as well?

my dark belgian is down and going nicely.

Black Belgian Nights recipe
2.0kg Dark DME
1.2kg Light LME
1kg Morgans Masterblend Dark Crystal
0.5L Belgian Candi Syrup - Dark2
0.5kg Creamed Honey
0.03kg black patent malt
0.10kg special B

40g hallertau @ 40
30g goldings @ 40
10g hallertau @ 10
15g goldings @ 10
T58 yeast cake & recultured Chimay Blue yeast
22L

pitched about 300ml of yeast. it went off. woke the next morning to find a mess. this is the results after i cleaned it up (ie off walls etc). you can also se it soaked into the blanket covering the fermentor. it was soaked. and when i say blanket, it is actually the padded bottom of a baby's playpen. my wife wasnt impressed
IMG_0117_1_.jpg

after a few days of going nuts is died down and went a lttle silent. so in goes a teaspoon of yeast nutrient and some simple sugars (ie the dark beglian candi sugar i was holding back for this reason) and off again it goes.

Ive kept the temp at 20-22C the whole time so should get some nice yeast characteristics.

well fermentation is well and truely finished now. I think its come out about 8%
Had a little taste last night. WOW. tasted like a dark duvel, i kid you not. its was bueatiful. lovely alc tones, nice belgian flavours/esters. so I poured myself some more and drank almost half a glass of it. This will be a cracker once its kegged and carbed up.

My extract and partial varieties have turned out way too sweet but each one is an improvement. I'm about to try an all grain variety and hopefully achieve better attenuation and get it a bit drier. The one I have at the moment, I'm hoping will cellar nicely.

Agree with swinging beef about keeping it simple and getting the yeast to do its thing. I used 3787 in my last (and will use some top cropped slurry in my next) and the flavours are very distinctive (even in the cultured slurry which smeld like raisins). I'd also recommend trying to steer clear of going amazingly high gravity, at least until you know what you're doing. It may sound obvious to more experienced brewers but just because you can hit 1090 with that extra kilo of extract doesn't mean you should. High alcohol in a good Belgian is one thing but it only works because it balances sweetness with dryness.

well swinging beef is right about keeping it simple. Beglian books will tell you that most belgians only have 2 or 3 grains max and are very simple recipe bills. Flavours come from yeast and adjuncts like candi sugars.

I think your advise is right manticle about not just hitting 1090 cause you can. but that applies for all beers not just belgians. the beers have to be balanced or they taste like crap

Absolutely it applies to all. It's just because Belgian dubbels are particularly different to so many other beers and actively seek qualities which are often undesirable (fruity esters etc) and use things often regarded as undesirable (eg simple sugar) and do it all with great aplomb and skill.

Additionally as a new brewer and are working out recipes when you don't really understand the basics, it's easy/tempting to overshoot (software program tells me that if I add a can of morgans caramalt I'll get 9% alcohol which equates to Chimay) so my advice, pulled from experience suggests hold back and get the balance right. I've found when developing recipes I tend to stick within a rough style range (erring on the stronger side rather tahn weaker but still reasonably close) so I'm less tempted to make a 9% wheat beer than I am a 9% Belgian.

Certainly true for all beers but easy to forget with dubbels and BSD, at least as far as my recent attempts go.

Back