Style Of The Week 4/3/09 - Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just ordered brew like a monk off the internet (along with designing great beers), it should be here shortly. I have always wanted to brew belgian golden and dark strong ales.

I have been reading up on a few websites on belgian strong ales and stubbled across this site homebrewchef.

Recipe Specifications:

Batch Size: 6.00 gal

Boil Size: 7.23 gal

OG: 1.094

FG: 1.020

ABV 9.7%

Estimated Color: 51.9 SRM

Estimated IBU: 24.4 IBU

Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.0 %

Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Ingredients:

Amount Item Type % or IBU

6.00 lbCastle Pilsner (2 Row) (2.0 SRM)Grain 30.4 %

3.00 lbGolden Promise, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 15.2 %

1.50 lbCaramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 7.6 %

1.50 lbCaravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 7.6 %

1.00 lbWheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 5.1 %

1.00 lbDate Sugar (3.0 SRM) Adjunct 5.1 %

0.50 lbAromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 2.5 %

0.25 lbSpecial B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.3 %

1.00 tsp pH 5.2 (Mash 5.0 min) Misc

1.00 ozStyrian Goldings [5.40%] (60 min) Hops 11.2 IBU

0.50 ozAmarillo [9.50%] (30 min) Hops 7.6 IBU

0.50 oz Kent Goldings [5.90%] (15 min) Hops 2.7 IBU

1.00 tsp Wyeast Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

2.00 items Servomyces Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Blond (75.0 SRM) (15 min) Sugar 5.1 %

1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) (15 min) Sugar 5.1 %

1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) (15 min) Sugar 5.1 %

1.00 lb Dark Rock Candi Syrup (500.0 SRM) (15 min) Sugar 5.1 %

1.00 lb Turbinado (10.0 SRM) (15 min) Sugar 5.1 %

0.50 oz Summit [15.40%] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU

2.00 gm Seeds of Paradise (Boil 5.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs Dutch Castle (Wyeast #3822) [1000 ml Starter added at Primary]

1 Pkgs Belgian Strong Ale (Wyeast Labs #1388) [1000 ml Starter added at Secondary]

Total Grain Weight: 14.75 lb

This beer must have been alright if he scaled it up and made it in a microbrewery...

I will be reading up on candi syrups and such when I get the book, but from recipies that are in our database, no one uses this amount of sugar...Most of the recipies use say 1kg of caster sugar late in the boil, none I have found use syrups...

Anyone have any experience with candi syrups?

1. good purchase re brew like a monk. although its not the be all and end of all belgian brewing. plenty of other books out there would be more helpful for beginners.
2. 5 pounds of sugar. This guys kidding himself.
3. not sure where you got caster sugar being used from. i could be wrong. unles your just emaning white sugar (cane)
4. if you read the previous posts would would see that ive used candi syrup. quite a few HBS are selling it now incl onlinbe sponsors. its good stuff.

1. good purchase re brew like a monk. although its not the be all and end of all belgian brewing. plenty of other books out there would be more helpful for beginners.
2. 5 pounds of sugar. This guys kidding himself.
3. not sure where you got caster sugar being used from. i could be wrong. unles your just emaning white sugar (cane)
4. if you read the previous posts would would see that ive used candi syrup. quite a few HBS are selling it now incl onlinbe sponsors. its good stuff.

So, how do you think this beer would turn out? It was actually 6 pounds of sugar (date sugar in the mash). So just under 3 kilos (roughly 2.7?) of sugar for a 6 gallon (22.7 Litres). It does seem like too much sugar (and yes I was refering to white cane sugar), so I wanted to see what you guys thought of the recipe. I also thought BLAM would give me some indication of the max ratio of candi sugar to malt would be like...

But again, the beer must be alright, the guy seems to have a good reputation and it was brewed in a micro brewery as well...

So, how do you think this beer would turn out? It was actually 6 pounds of sugar (date sugar in the mash). So just under 3 kilos (roughly 2.7?) of sugar for a 6 gallon (22.7 Litres). It does seem like too much sugar (and yes I was refering to white cane sugar), so I wanted to see what you guys thought of the recipe. I also thought BLAM would give me some indication of the max ratio of candi sugar to malt would be like...

But again, the beer must be alright, the guy seems to have a good reputation and it was brewed in a micro brewery as well...

From memory I think BLAM suggests a range of up to 20%.

Good book. As CM2 said it's not the be all and end all but it is a great read and there is some top info in there. The best thing I guess is working out that Belgians taste complex but don't rely on complex grain bills or loads of spices as many often assume.

Pilsner malt as a base, good appropriate yeast, good temperature control (and a willingness to go above the the mantra of 18-20 to bring out some of the esters depending on style) and balancing malty with dry are all key elements.

The above recipe may be a cracker - hard to know without tasting - but to my mind it looks overly and unnecessarily complex. You should be able to put together a good version with less than half that stuff. I may have a sip of it one day and eat my hat but until then............

Philip - I recon radical Breqwing by Mosher taught me more about brewing certain styles than most books. you can glean so much form that book.
I'll have to re-read BLAM and see if it jumps out at me more this time.

I'm currently brewing a Belgian dark strong ale, and am wondering when is a good time to put the sugar in.
The OG was around 1.060 and it's been fermenting for 4 days now.
I should check the gravity, but someone mentioned to chuck the sugar in 2/3 the way through the ferment, not exactly sure when that'll be.

Also, what's the best way to put it in? Just sprinkle over dry? Or boil it up with some water and cool it?

assume it will ferment out to 1010. then its got 50 points to go. 2/3 of of 50 points is 37.5. so when its about 1022.5 go for it.

i just chuck mine in. it should be sterile but up to yuoui

I'm currently brewing a Belgian dark strong ale, and am wondering when is a good time to put the sugar in.
The OG was around 1.060 and it's been fermenting for 4 days now.
I should check the gravity, but someone mentioned to chuck the sugar in 2/3 the way through the ferment, not exactly sure when that'll be.

Also, what's the best way to put it in? Just sprinkle over dry? Or boil it up with some water and cool it?

I caramelise mine. The flavour is very evident in the finished product.

I caramelise mine. The flavour is very evident in the finished product.
Oooo caramalise! Now we're talking!
Especially when using dark brown sugar, this could be leg-endary!

I basically reduce it down with some water and a touch of vinegar until it's around the colour I want the beer.

However you need to watch the latter stages like a hawk - it takes potentially hours to get to copper but minutes from there to get to burnt. When time comes to add it you can soften it with a little boiling water as it becomes hard as a rock. Otherwise use some kind of non-stick release paper.

Just to update this batch, had some early may and it was lovely and spicy, strong alcohol warmth mmmm.

Had some in early November (8 months in bottle) and it had mellowed beautifully, still with alcohol warmth and spicyness but neslted in snuggly with the malt character. Still have 2 bottles for the first Anniversary in May 2010.

Need to make another batch soon.

Brewed this a while ago and it is tasting very nice after 4 weeks in primary and almost 3 weeks in secondary (still in fermenter), will keg, carbonate and bottle it over the next week or so. Ended up with an OG of 1.106 and FG of 1.030 (I get low attenuation with T-58 commercially too) and ABV of 10%, a bit lower than I was aiming for but it tastes reasonably well balanced. Not as dark as I would've liked though so borderline strong golden ale.

Cheers, Andrew.

Just about to put one of these down and I'm after a bit of feed back on my recipe. I'm trying to aim for something similar to a Trapist Rochfort 10. Let me know what you think:

Belgian Dark Strong

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Wort Size (L): 25.00
Total Grain (kg): 8.85
Anticipated OG: 1.091 Plato: 21.72
Anticipated SRM: 24.6
Anticipated IBU: 32.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
67.8 6.00 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 2
11.3 1.00 kg. Candi Sugar (dark) Generic 1.046 80
8.5 0.75 kg. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 115
6.8 0.60 kg. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
5.6 0.50 kg. Cane Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.40 23.4 First WH
30.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.40 9.0 30 min.

Cheers,

TS

Looks pretty good to me, TS. I think the only thing I'd change is not to use so much (any) carapils. I think with such a big beer there's no need for it. Love to hear if you manage to make anything as good as Rochefort 10. :icon_drool2:

i'd probably reduce the special B a bit and throw in some aromatic or melanoidin or munich malt for a bit of maltiness too. and im with stuster ive never understood the point of carapils.
have you had a look at the famous hobbybrouwers.nl rochefort 8 clone recipe?
For 10 liters, 1.080 OG, 32 IBU, 70 EBC :

Maltbill
% Amount Malt
70.4 2375 grams Pilsnermalt (Belgian)
11.1 375 grams Caramunich 120 EBC
1.5 50 grams Carafa special dehusked 800 EBC
3.7 125 grams Special "B"
3.7 125 grams Flaked Corn
9.6 325 grams Dark Candysugar

Hops (flowers) & Spices
Styrian Goldings 23 grams 4.2% 75 minutes
Hallertau Hersbrucker 10 grams 3.5% 30 minutes
Hallertau Hersbrucker 5 grams 3.5% 5 minutes
Coreanderseed crushed 5 grams 5 minutes

Yeast: Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II or recultered from a bottle of Rochefort. The winning recipe used the Wyeast.

Mashing: 3 liters per kg malt. Flaked corn boiled separately before adding to the mash.

60-62C 30 minutes
68C 60 minutes
75C 5 minutes

Sparging with water at 78C

promash file is here:
http://www.szwayabrown.com/BeerAndMud/wp-c...rt_8_Clone.html

Just about to put one of these down and I'm after a bit of feed back on my recipe. I'm trying to aim for something similar to a Trapist Rochfort 10. Let me know what you think:

heres the one ive been thinking of. its a beefed up smoked dark strong
Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 27.00 l Wort Volume After Boil: 20.00 l
Volume Transferred: 20.00 l Water Added To Fermenter: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 20.00 l Volume Of Finished Beer: 19.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.062 SG Expected OG: 1.084 SG
Expected FG: 1.018 SG Apparent Attenuation: 77.0 %
Expected ABV: 8.8 % Expected ABW: 6.9 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 22.8 IBU Expected Color (using Morey): 19.7 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.27 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 11 degC

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
German Pilsner Malt 4.000 kg 58.8 % 2.2 In Mash/Steeped
German Munich Malt 1.500 kg 22.1 % 3.4 In Mash/Steeped
German Smoked Malt 0.700 kg 10.3 % 0.7 In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Special B 0.600 kg 8.8 % 36.8 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
German Northern Brewer 8.0 % 25 g 22.8 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End

looks interesting barls, kind of like hair of the dog adambier
what yeast you planning on using? be interesting to see how the phenols from the belgian yeast go with the phenols from the rauchmalz

heres the one ive been thinking of. its a beefed up smoked dark strong
Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 27.00 l Wort Volume After Boil: 20.00 l
Volume Transferred: 20.00 l Water Added To Fermenter: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 20.00 l Volume Of Finished Beer: 19.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.062 SG Expected OG: 1.084 SG
Expected FG: 1.018 SG Apparent Attenuation: 77.0 %
Expected ABV: 8.8 % Expected ABW: 6.9 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 22.8 IBU Expected Color (using Morey): 19.7 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.27 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 11 degC

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
German Pilsner Malt 4.000 kg 58.8 % 2.2 In Mash/Steeped
German Munich Malt 1.500 kg 22.1 % 3.4 In Mash/Steeped
German Smoked Malt 0.700 kg 10.3 % 0.7 In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Special B 0.600 kg 8.8 % 36.8 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
German Northern Brewer 8.0 % 25 g 22.8 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End

i was thinking the same one i use in my smoke beer being the canadian belgian. it really goes well with the smoke i use to make my own grain.

Just put this one down this morning

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: BD's Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Brewer: Tony Brown
Asst Brewer: Jess
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 24.00 L
Boil Size: 32.79 L
Estimated OG: 1.094 SG
Estimated Color: 19.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.25 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SGrain 60.34 %
1.00 kg Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 11.49 %
0.35 kg Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4.02 %
0.35 kg Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4.02 %
0.25 kg Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 2.87 %
0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.87 %
0.25 kg Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 2.87 %
40.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 17.5 IBU
40.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (30 min) Hops 13.4 IBU
0.50 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 11.49 %
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 7.70 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 20.10 L of water at 76.5 C 65.0 C

I had to add 0.5kg of dark brown sugar to get up to 1094, and a bit of black malt to the second sparge to get the colour right, odd as beersmith usually gets the colour spot on.

cheers

Browndog

Hey Barls,

When I was drinking your smoked swap beer I was thinking the smoked malt flavours/aromas from your malt would work well in a belgian dark strong. I guess the trick will be in the balance. Id be interested to take a look when this one is finished. It might just convince me to move over to the smoky side.

cheers
Andrew.

i was thinking the same one i use in my smoke beer being the canadian belgian. it really goes well with the smoke i use to make my own grain.

ill let you know how it goes if im allowed to brew again soon as 4 brew days in jan already and shwmbo is not looking happy

Back