Best Commercial Beer I Have Enjoyed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any stout you have you can send it on to me, JD. :chug:
IT was made up using
Tin coopers stout 1.7kg
Brewcraft irish stout converter 1kg (consists of dextrose, malt, lactose, hops)
safale s-04 11.5g

brewed at 14-16* cause it was winter and did not have brew belt then
spent 6 days in primary fermenter then bottled on the 6th june (did not know nothing about 2ndary fermenting then)

THIS WAS THE LHBS RECIPE FOR GUINESS ;) NoTHING LIKE IT
TASTES LIKE PEPPER AND WATER :excl:

Tried to chase down a Chimay Blue today, couldnt find one. Ended up with a couple of Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruits.

At 5 dollars each for a 330 Ml Bottle, i expected bliss :wub: in a bottle. I was dissapointed :(

Dont get me wrong, it was very nice.........a lovely rich ale, nice for warming the cockles in winter. Lovely rich malts, with subtle hop. But definately not worth the dosh forwarded. :excl:

My Grumpys Theakstons Old Peculier clone is along the same lines in style. And i reckon my Peculier wins hands down, in taste, body, class and value !.......I guess thats why we brew at home. :beerbang:

After all is done and dusted. The Hoegaarden Wit is still the best Commercial Beer ive sampled.

At 5 dollars each for a 330 Ml Bottle, i expected bliss :wub: in a bottle.
I guess you've never purchased La Devine or Delirium Tremens before?
Mind you, I'm certain you wouldn't be dissapointed with either of those - especially the La Devine, my favourite Belgian thus far.

I guess you've never purchased La Devine or Delirium Tremens before?
Mind you, I'm certain you wouldn't be dissapointed with either of those - especially the La Devine, my favourite Belgian thus far.

I'd love to try one fella. Belgium beers at the mo are tickling my fancy. Its gotta be good though !!!

As far as cloning goes......Grumpys Theakstons kicks butt !!

Awesome rich Ale. I mean awesome !!!

If i bought a bottle for 5 bucks.........i'd be very happy. As a rich Ale, its up with the best ive ever sampled.

Now that GT isnt involved with the Grumps homebrew..........i hope Voosh and Brad can clone beers.

Grumpys have been spectacular !! :chug:

Long live Grumps !! Cloning is your speciality !!! :party:

I have a couple of 2 1/2 year old bottles of Grumps OP in the Brew Room

Have one every 6 months or so.....It shure has some body, flavour and kick

The 'Worst Commercial Beer' thread made me hunt for this one.

I have to say it's a close tie between
Knig Ludwig Dunkel, which I had in a restaurant staring up at King Ludwig's castle on top of a mountain.
and Ayinger's Celebrator DoppelBock, which I had in the Ayinger pub, Liebhards.

Both were on tap, and the scenery, food and atmoshphere at both locations would probably have clouded my judgement somewhat!.

Found bottles of Knig Ludwig Weissbier the other day in a local bottlo, that was bloody nice too! Gonna ask 'em if they can order-in the Dunkel for me.

Simo

had some trappistes Rochefort 10 the other day that was a special drop, at $12 a bottle it was a bit of a splurge.

other favourites are:
-Fullers ESB
-Old Peculiar
-Fullers London Pride
-James Squire Porter (only a few though) and
-James Squire Golden Ale on a hot day

and I dont mind Carlton Black on tap at the local, nothing special but it is cheap and refreshing.

I am yet to get into a lot of the belgium beers (Chimay, Duvel's etc.) as I am a poorly student haha but that is my next step.

Hunter Draught= NICE DROP

comes from the blue tongue brewery

Don de Dieu, Unibroue brewery. thats the best one I have had recently
T.

Guys, get yourselves down the Five Islands Brewery at Wollongong and taste their 'Parkyns Shark Oil' IPA. It's absolutely brilliant. 'Nuff said

The sharkoil is a very nice drop

As is the ESME bitter

I tried the Barbeerian (Amber Wit Beer) when i was there last and that was a nice drop too.

Needless to say I had a cracker of a hangover the next day - that's what a 2 hour happy hour will do to you!

Cheers

Guys, get yourselves down the Five Islands Brewery at Wollongong and taste their 'Parkyns Shark Oil' IPA. It's absolutely brilliant. 'Nuff said

i agree completely, parkyns is my drink of choice at the 5 islands with the esme bitter second ( maybe a bit too much crystal or something, but sometimes a little sweet for me) top drinks both, but to the uninitiated <_< i drag there to experience the wonders of "REAL BEER", i find that almost without exception that they favour the Longboard (wit beer with coriander and orange). Nice balance of sweet and sour, with a clean finish, a very nice beer.
I heard they will bottle it soon for retail, a much better choice IMHO than the pigdog pilsner (their first bottled beer).

I enjoy alot of the beers mentioned but i really love

Duval!

the complex yeasty taste, dry finish, vanilla-ish nose... not something you can drink all night, but for the first beer of the evening i find the enjoyment incomparable... :D

I had a VB stubbie handed to me after spending a whole day re-roofing a factory in Erskineville. It was cold as ice. Beautiful. :D

Now before I get flamed, after a hard day of toil, anything cold and wet is great. :ph34r:

I would have to say Hahn Super Dry. idont have a criteria to work from but if you want to consider... 1. Taste 2. Price and also 3. Waistline ..... This gets my vote.

The commercial beer that most impressed me was Gambrinus from the Czech Republic. Tasty and pretty cheap for an import too, if you can find it. I can't think of much else that has ever really made me jump 4 joy. Stella or Becks are okay. For me a homebrew anyday.

Prost!!!!!

I had a VB stubbie handed to me after spending a whole day re-roofing a factory in Erskineville. It was cold as ice. Beautiful. :D

Now before I get flamed, after a hard day of toil, anything cold and wet is great. :ph34r:

Whats wrong with a corona ya big girls blouse :p VB indeed.

Sean....... . . . . .. . .H..........T..........F..........U.....

:blink:

You sick *******.....

Anything Cold and Wet...?

I thought i told you and Pat to stay away from Mrs Sqyre...

:angry: Mr Sqyre

Do any of you guys like the beers made by monteiths from NZ?

I would have to say probably my favourite commercial beer I have ever had would be their Winter Ale, on tap at the themed pub "Monty's" in Queenstown in '06 in the middle of winter..
I remember sitting down to dinner and ordering a pint to give it a try... Then telling the missus that I felt like drinking the beer for the rest of the holiday :D

Other favourites are:
JS Pilsner, Amber and Golden
Hoegaarden Wit as already mentioned is very nice
And if I have to get even more commercial, I don't mind a drop of a Heineken

Cheers :chug:

Latest posts

Back