Best Commercial Beer I Have Enjoyed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since starting homebrew, I havn't been buying much beer. My taste is pretty simple really. When I am buying it's usually James Squire Porter or good ol' Guiness. Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit is another of my favourites.

:beer:

kook said:
Just had this loot arrive in the post.

1990 Chimay Blue
1990 Thomas Hardys Ale
2004? 2005? Chimay Doree

I've got an '81 Hardys on the way too. Be interesting to do a comparison between a 24, 15 and 2 year old bottle :)
[post="52725"][/post]​

Bloody Hell kook, you sure are making up for not brewing in a big way. Looking forward to your reviews on ratebeer.

A little off topic - sorry.

does anyone know where I can get a Kolsch style commercial beer?

I had a look in Dan Murphy's on the weekend to no avail. (mind you I had my 2 year old with me who decided that pulling wine bottles off the shelve was a good way to fill in time :angry: - funny how quick you can move when a $30 bottle is heading south towards a concrete floor :(

Cheers

Hmmm, where to start ... so many crappy beers, but so many good ones as well.

Great commercial beers for me include (in no particular order)
- Rodenbach Grand Cru (the uncompromising king of sour beers IMHO)
- Blanche de Namur (so much more flavour than Hoegaarden wit)
- La Chouffe
- Westmalle Tripel
- Chimay Blue
- Budweiser Budvar
- Schneider Weisse
- Coopers Sparkling Ale
- Little Creatures Pale Ale
- Fullers ESB
- Black Sheep Ale (note - haven't tried TT Landlord yet)

But, my #1 favourite of all time (so far) is:

- Schneider Aventinus Weizendoppelbock.

If I buy an Aussie quaffing beer, its usually Boags Draught.

cheers,
Colin

G'day Quincy. I know of no imported varieties of Kolsch, and I've tried to find them... Hopefully someone else might know of one. You can now buy the Hunter Valley breweries Kolsch style in bottles though if you're keen. Try googling for Potters Tavern/Brewery Cessnock.

Shawn.

colinw said:
- Budweiser Budvar
[post="70125"][/post]​

Bought a sixpack of this the other day. Price was right at $12. Used to be one of my favourite lagers. Got a little suspicious when I'd realised they're now putting it in green bottles in a bid for attention more than anything I'd say. <_<

Upon tasting I could only say that here's a beer that's really gone downhill bigtime since having it last. :angry: Like so many other Czech beers in the last five years it's gone from malty and beautifully balanced to dry, lightstruck and balanced more towards the hop.

More like Stella than Budvar these days. <_<

Warren -

I still find Budvar palatable and a cut above the local lagers, Matilda Bay Bohemian Pilzner excepted.

The beer which I think has really changed is Pilsner Urquell. Used to be complex and malty, now seems bitter and hoppy more like a German Pils.

cheers,
Colin

I haven't tried many beers but have decided to try and sample something different every couple of weeks. I started of with Little Creatures Pale Ale this week after reading all about on AHB. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to brewing jayse SFPA and comparing.

Now what to get next :)

Gough said:
G'day Quincy. I know of no imported varieties of Kolsch, and I've tried to find them... Hopefully someone else might know of one. You can now buy the Hunter Valley breweries Kolsch style in bottles though if you're keen. Try googling for Potters Tavern/Brewery Cessnock.

Shawn.
[post="70128"][/post]​

Thanks Gough.
After checking the website, I think I might head to the Hunter and make a weekend of it. Take the missus to Brokenwood (her favorite winery) and she can take me to Potters :p

Cheers

I still find Budvar palatable and a cut above the local lagers, Matilda Bay Bohemian Pilzner excepted.

The beer which I think has really changed is Pilsner Urquell. Used to be complex and malty, now seems bitter and hoppy more like a German Pils.

cheers,
Colin

After trying the Matilda Bay Bohemian Pilzner on the weekend for the first time in a few years I have to totally agree with colinw on the above statement.

C&B
TDA

A little off topic - sorry.

does anyone know where I can get a Kolsch style commercial beer?

I had a look in Dan Murphy's on the weekend to no avail. (mind you I had my 2 year old with me who decided that pulling wine bottles off the shelve was a good way to fill in time :angry: - funny how quick you can move when a $30 bottle is heading south towards a concrete floor :(

Cheers
Dude,

U can get this ber online atBeerstore.com.au (kolsch link).

Beerz

Seth :p

Last time I looked Reissdorf Kolsch was available at Liquor on Parade (Anzac Parade kingsford that is)

I think I also saw it at Camperdown Cellars but don't quote me on that one.

Paulanor octoberfiest is a great beer plus ther salvator the dopllebock is a great drop

Gday my favorate is BLUE TOUNG LAGER made in newcastle aus I have to say it is the best beer i have tasted. I think the next one i try will be little creatures as i hear its prety good.

cheers dirk :beer:

Dude,

U can get this ber online atBeerstore.com.au (kolsch link).

Beerz

Seth :p

Nice work Weizguy, that store has a great range of beers and freight to Adelaide for 12 bottles is under a tenner :beerbang:

Time to go shopping!!!

Cheers and whatsits :rolleyes:
TDA

I found this in a bottle shop in Townsville a couple of weeks ago and bought a bottle. It is an excellent beer, well balanced with not too much hop flavour. Much more enjoyable than what was on offer at the Townsville Micro :huh:

howdy my top 2 are:
1 westvleteren yellow at the monastery in westvleteren
2 thomas hardys from ibs in perth
st bernadus 12 at terrastje pub in bruges
1984 chimay blue at bierhus kulminator in antwerp
1982 hoegaarden grand cru bk in antwerp
westvleteren blue at the monastery
cantillon at the brewery,brussels
eku kulminator in paris
rochefort 10 ibs in perth
westmalle out the tap bk antwerp
westvleteren green at the monastery
duvel everywhere
rodenbach grand cru breakfast in europe

thats my two all other beers come in at three or four apart from mas produced commercial muck,squires matilda bay,cub,swan etc

Just enjoying a Hoegaarden Wit, after a long block of nightshifts.

Must say this is my favourite commercial at the moment. Then the Duvel a close second.

Im just starting to branch out on the imported beers, due to a lack of variety in a small country town.

Im fortunate enough now to have a bottlo thats just opened, that now stocks a good range of beers.

The Chimay Blue is next on my hit list !! :super:

I enjoy 3 largies (800ml) of carlton draught when the miss's goes to BINGO!
At BBQ's Me and the old man go grab a case of XXXX-GOLD
On A quit 1 at home BITburger a german import 6pk cause then I dont have to give it AWAY! :D

But though this is cause their are no homebrews ready to drink yet!

EXCEPT BLACK STOUT-I can only drink to of these and the taste gets to me :blink:
Normally give them away! but got no takers, WONDER WHY? ;)

I enjoy 3 largies (800ml) of carlton draught when the miss's goes to BINGO!
At BBQ's Me and the old man go grab a case of XXXX-GOLD
On A quit 1 at home BITburger a german import 6pk cause then I dont have to give it AWAY! :D

But though this is cause their are no homebrews ready to drink yet!

EXCEPT BLACK STOUT-I can only drink to of these and the taste gets to me :blink:
Normally give them away! but got no takers, WONDER WHY? ;)

Any stout you have you can send it on to me, JD. :chug:

Latest posts

Back