Best Commercial Beer I Have Enjoyed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See thats one of the big problems with the stigma around cask ale. People continue to use "warm and flat" in a joking manner, but realistically it just keeps the myth going. I don't see how it helps the situation, but neither does the "old man" image of cask in general.

Slightly OT but in reference to the old man thing, I had an english guy, late 20s, recently ask me though whether there was much point in CAMRA because 'everyone I know drinks real ale'.

He wasn't from London which is where a lot of the struggle seemed to be when I was there and there where still a lot of beards and wooly jumpers at the festivals...

My wife and I got truckloads of free stuff at these festivals because we where under 30, foreign and one of us was female. A dream demographic couple for them...

I have posters, framed prints, coasters, t-shirts etc. etc...

As to the flat and warm, well, I'd say it's hard to say if that keeps the myth going but possibly it doesn't help...

Boy do I miss my cask ales though :(

Like any cask ale, that will depend entirely on the cellermans performance and age of the cask. A well kept example of TT Landlord shouldn't have loads of fruit-like malt flavours in my opinion, with the exception of the associated grassy citric flavour from the hops. If the turnover is not quick however, the flavour profile will change to become quite fruity like most other bitters. I have noted fruity pineapple like aromas several times though, which didn't follow through to the flavour.

Yep, I reckon Pedigree is a text book example of an up and down beer courtesy of handling. It's a bit like the little girl with the little curl. When it's good it's very (very) good. When it's bad ...

I've had it in some pubs where it it smells like bad apple cider and tastes thin and non-descript. OTOH well-handled and it's a memorable experience. :beerbang:

Warren -

London Pride is another good example. It's available in nearly every second-third pub in London, but the majority of the time it is a very average pint, in some cases undrinkable shit. But, if you find a well kept example it is a lovely session bitter.

Agreed re Marstons beers too Warren, due to their wide distribution through the W&DB pub estate they can be vary variable beers.

Been very sick this week but once I came back from the dead, I cracked a bottle of Staropramen and f*^k me if it wasn't the best pilsner
I've tried. Has knocked the Urquell from the top of my list!

Been very sick this week but once I came back from the dead, I cracked a bottle of Staropramen and f*^k me if it wasn't the best pilsner
I've tried. Has knocked the Urquell from the top of my list!

Want some Staropramen yeast mike? Brewhaus is getting some in this week :beerbang:

Got a cracker of an All-Saaz pils coming up :)

Thanks for the tip Ben, will have to get my ass down there

Mike, it may pay to give them a call first. That is a seasonal yeast so they might not have that many. They're good about ordering stuff in though. :D

Sint Bernardus Prior 8
Samuel Smiths Taddy Porter, Oatmeal Stout and Stout.
Fullers ESB
Little Creatures Pale Ale and Rogers Beer.
Murrays Nirvana

Ok Chaps, dragging up a oldish topic here for a quickish question -

I have been listening to TBN, reading these forums and flicking through BYO, one beer that keeps popping up and staring me in the face like dog's you know whats is this Pliny the Elder.
Now I have had my share of IPA's in the past but seriously all I can remember is that they were a little underwhelming.
What would come close to the Pliny that we can get here (Sydney), and close Double IPA's around?
I wouldnt mind trying something close to see if I like it enough to dedicate a Saturday and a keg to it!

Cheers
DK
:party:

DK, I would wait for Murrays 2IPA to get into bottles, rumoured to be about mid august

Just found out the other day the Beer I had on tap in April at CCYA was either James Squire pilsner or Matilda bay bay pilsner.

Bloody marvelous.
Try the FWK pilsner or lager. bloody good stuff.

it wasn't James Squire.
drinkin' one now
good but far from the best

Bush 12
Piraat
Batemans XXXB
Wig&Pens RIS
Lion Stout
Timmermans Gueuze

There probably are many better beers out there, but at the right time & place those are outstanding. B)

I had some Tripel Karmeliet last night. :wub:

Now how to brew it. ;)

I had some Tripel Karmeliet last night. :wub:

Now how to brew it. ;)

Sorting out the grain ratios will be fun :)
If you get it right let all of us know.

DK
Pliny the Elder is a great beer, extremely hoppy, and most of the IPA's and IIPA's that you will find in the states are similar (though Pliny deserves the pedestal it has been put on). Murrays Icon I2PA is probably gonna be out in september, if the last rumour I heard was correct, and that is about the closest we have here in Oz.
There is, I believe, also a beer called Pliny the Younger, a triple IPA, though I have never seen it, and am HOPING LIKE BUGGERY that they have it on tap in Father's Office in Santa Monica in a few weeks when I am there! It is 11% alcohol, hopped three times as much as their regular IPA, (so 50% more hops that pliny the elder), and is dry hopped on 4 separate occasions.
Mmmmm, you have now tempted me into needing some hops. I will be heading to Murrays next week, so a pint or 2 of the Icon could be in order.
Oh yeah, to the best of my knowledge, Icon is the only commercially available double IPA available in Australia. Have a few weeks worth of patience, keep an eye on murrays website, and you shall be rewarded.
All the best
Trent

<expurgate>
Oh yeah, to the best of my knowledge, Icon is the only commercially available double IPA available in Australia. Have a few weeks worth of patience, keep an eye on murrays website, and you shall be rewarded.
All the best
Trent
</expurgate>
I have received word that the bottle-o at Warners at the Bay will have some "Icon" when Murrays release it.

Also have heard from the guy who runs the bottle-o, who also worked at/ran my former favourite bottleshop, that there will be an Aussie beer tasting day soon, along the lines of the Aussie beer festival held at The Australian Hotel at The Rocks. This will be held at Warners at the Bay and is likely to be announced in Newcastle newspapers soon. A large percentage of Oz Breweries will be represented and our favourite boy from Murrays, Shawn Sherlock, is also booked in.
Hope to see a few of you there.

Beerz
Seth :p

Also have heard from the guy who runs the bottle-o, who also worked at/ran my former favourite bottleshop, that there will be an Aussie beer tasting day soon, along the lines of the Aussie beer festival held at The Australian Hotel at The Rocks.

Along the same lines - just a bit of a whisper to keep the first weekend of November free for an International Beer festival being held in the Hunter Valley. There will also be a Beer comp that I am organising. More details available soon.

Dave

Crap
Dont you boys know that I am unemployed?!? Though if I am gonna be spending money to get somewhere to drink beer, it will be with you lot of scruffians :D (says the man who wears trackies with ugg boots full of holes :eek:) They say ya cant take it with ya, so I am in for whatever ya's organise... Besides, I will hopefully have a job soon after I get back from my American beer tasting tour!
All the best
Trent
EDIT - spelling while drunk

Oh yeah, to the best of my knowledge, Icon is the only commercially available double IPA available in Australia.

Feral have been brewing one seasonally since early 2005.

There ya go, I have been proved wrong. maybe I should re-phrase it to "the only constantly available double IPA in the country" as they always have it on tap at the pub there, and it will be always available in the bottles. I will keep my eyes out for Feral's beer though, I love a good IIPA.
Thanks for the clarification, Kook
Trent

Back