Best Commercial Beer I Have Enjoyed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There ya go, I have been proved wrong. maybe I should re-phrase it to "the only constantly available double IPA in the country" as they always have it on tap at the pub there, and it will be always available in the bottles. I will keep my eyes out for Feral's beer though, I love a good IIPA.
Thanks for the clarification, Kook
Trent

As far as I know they've never bottled it. It's normally on tap during summer at the brewery.

It's pretty good too. Not quite up there with RR PTE, DFH 90min and 3F Dreadnaught but still damn tasty.

I had some Tripel Karmeliet last night. :wub:

Now how to brew it. ;)

Gotta get the ratios of malted "and" unmalted barley, wheat and oats right.

What a top drop though. Maybe safer we just buy it. B)

Warren -

Warren -

I know. A really hard beer to brew I'd say. I might just start a new thread trying to clone this beer. I've never really tried to do that before, but just feel inspired to with this one. Almost no hope of really brewing something that close, but there might be some fun taste testing of the experiments along the way. :chug: :lol:

Got another one for you guys, any good commercial examples of Barley Wine that can be picked up at the bottle shop?
I found an old post about Redoak Barley wine being $15 for 50ml and got a little worried!
Same as the double IPA (I will wait for Murrays to come out in bottles), I want to try a few good examples before committing to 20L of the stuff!!

Cheers
DK
:party:

International Beer Shop in Perth occasionally have Thomas Hardy's in stock?

It's always gotta be the one you are drinking at the moment, an English Bitter at present.
For commercial lines I still have very fond memories of Guinness on tap at Fenians Pub in Perth when I lived there for a few years in the mid 90s.
Others, in no particular order:
JSAA
LCPA
Pilsner Urquell
Grolsch (well, I am Dutch, and it's my favourite Dutch beer, forget that Heineken crap) (my cousin's husband gave me a 14% Grolsch special beer at the last visit, terrific)
Coopers vintage ale (I forget the year, but even Mrs Warra was impressed with the flavour of that one)
Heck, all the Coopers range.
Toohey's Old (it's the only drinkable beer on tap at my golf club)
Wicked Elf Pilsner, and Wicked Elf Pale Ale from the Little Brewing Company in Port Macquarie. They have managed to make beers where the hop character continues to shine through beautifully, and in style, ie Saaz in the Pils, and Cascade in the PA.
Geez, I just love beer. My beer cellar gets a real caning each day at present. The wine cellar just gets older.

Warren -
I had one of these at the Heritage Belgian Beer Caf in Sydney on Sunday night, fantastic beer, possibly the best golden Belgian beer i'm yet to try. However i'd have to say the best commercial beer i've ever tried is definately Rochefort Trappist 10.
First time I ever tried that beer I thought I had died and gone to heaven. (not that i'll wind up there :D) The intoxicating aroma and creamy richness to it, you could nurse it for hours but its so tasty and insanely easy to drink...and sadly enough that was one of the most significant experiences of my life, but yeah, best by far really.

Got another one for you guys, any good commercial examples of Barley Wine that can be picked up at the bottle shop?
I found an old post about Redoak Barley wine being $15 for 50ml and got a little worried!
Same as the double IPA (I will wait for Murrays to come out in bottles), I want to try a few good examples before committing to 20L of the stuff!!

Cheers
DK
:party:

DK
Murrays also have an anniversary ale that is in the barleywine style, though I think it is a barley and wheat wine. Very well balanced and scarily drinkable, and if you can do 20L of similar, I will line up to drink it! Not sure if there are many bottles left, but it was around $30 for a 750mL bottle, I have 2 sitting in my beer cellar, but they arent for sale :ph34r:
If you find some on sale anywhere, it will be well worth your while to pick up a bottle. As far as the IIPA, I think that will not be out till early september.
All the best
Trent

Latest posts

Back