Berry beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made that (very similar) recipe, but used WY3068 for the yeast.

Buying punnets of fresh raspberries to make up to 2KG would cost you a fortune! Use Aldi frozen raspberries, you won't get Aids.

The thing I find with fruit beers, is that after 1 glass, I've had enough. So a keg ends up sitting there for 6+ months, by which time all of the yeast esters have long disappeared...

Hep A was the disease in question - not that I'd willingly contract that either but it's a far cry from HIV.

However I reckon if you check the source of the berries, you'll be fine with frozen.

Not made personally but drunk plenty of berry beers and the styles that lend themselves to that character are things like hefeweizen or some sours like berliner weiss or lambic.

One thing these all have in common is tartness, distinct yeast character and bugger all hop character or bitterness which might combat the berry character somewhat.

Phoney how long did it take till ready to drink and was it a good drink. Would you change anything

Fruit in beer is an abomination. Cease and desist immediately. Water, yeast, malt & hops. Trust me, I am an award winning brewer and I am quite drunk.

I did one with the Woolworths Select frozen raspberries (produce of Chile from memory) about a week after the HIV scare. Just racked my wheat beer onto them in secondary. Turned out quite nicely.

eMPTy said:
I did one with the Woolworths Select frozen raspberries (produce of Chile from memory) about a week after the HIV scare. Just racked my wheat beer onto them in secondary. Turned out quite nicely.

How long till drinkable. Also what yeast did you use

I have made a raspberry wit a couple of times which turned out quite nicely...simply racked a belgian wit onto about 1.5kg of frozen berries in secondary...the paleness of the base beer acquired a pinkish hue and the tartness suited the style beautifully...I left it on the berries for around 5 days from memory and it was ready to drink straight away, though was at its best after a couple of weeks in the keg! Would make again...in summer.

That Raspberry RIS was incredible Yob, well balanced, bright fruit character, well hidden alcohol, amazing beer, wish ya had more left to bring to the Melbourne Brewers meetings!-:)

Ive still got 1 bottle (retrieved back off the FIL) for Vicbrew and there might be a litre or two in the bottom of the keg (now safely removed from the fridge) but the odds of any of it making it out of the brewery are quite slim :lol:

Latest posts

Back