Berry beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mrsupraboy said:
How long till drinkable. Also what yeast did you use
Drinkable as soon as adequately carbonated in the bottle. Was better after a few more weeks though. I only did a small run with some of a bigger batch and used what i had around. Don't exactly recall which yeast it was unfortunately. Would have been something common, nothing fancy.

Albainian said:
I have made a raspberry wit a couple of times which turned out quite nicely...simply racked a belgian wit onto about 1.5kg of frozen berries in secondary...the paleness of the base beer acquired a pinkish hue and the tartness suited the style beautifully...I left it on the berries for around 5 days from memory and it was ready to drink straight away, though was at its best after a couple of weeks in the keg! Would make again...in summer.
eMPTy said:
Drinkable as soon as adequately carbonated in the bottle. Was better after a few more weeks though. I only did a small run with some of a bigger batch and used what i had around. Don't exactly recall which yeast it was unfortunately. Would have been something common, nothing fancy.
Where the drinks sour tasting or just blueberry tasting

Has anyone tried Aldi's sour cherries in a sour?

At least 3 days before I was drinking it.... Oh hang on.. Forced carbed a bottles from the FV before it was even finished... It 'maybe' got to 4 months old...

Believe it or not, yep, we stuck to the hop bill.

We Pu some syrup in the boil, I put more in during the FV.

Mardoo would know amounts more than me, was a couple of packs as I recall

Mardoo? Anything else to add. Should have quizzed you more on the weekend. I will probably use this without the berries to fill my barrel but will do one on the side to see what its like.

P.S. it took me a while to find this thread.

Blueberry Hefeweizen:

Wheat 2kg
Golden Promise 500g
Pils 500g
Vienna 500g
Caramunich 300g

Hallertau MF to 24 IBU
Mashed at 67c
Wyeast 3638 @ 20c - racked to secondary on day 7 onto 1.5kgs of fresh, blended blueberries.

GalBrew said:
Be careful what you wish for!
I imagine the specialty category would be difficult to judge, probably get all sorts of crazy entries, I find the normal categories challenging enough to judge as it is.

Take an amber ale recipe, add a kilo of frozen berries at the end of your boil, add about 250g coffee beans in the fermenter. Great flavour combo.

I've made a RIS that was secondary fermented on 1kg of fresh cherries, used a wyeast farmhouse ale yeast cake from a previous brew and it came up quite nicely.

We had a brew challenge in the Illawarra using fruit in beers and the range and quality was fantastic. Winner was a coconut porter that was like drinking a bounty. Fantastic stuff!

Latest posts

Back