Begone you complicated Ginger Beer recipes!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'd like to retract and take back my comment and post, and say 'go for it' to Hyper. go for gold and post your results. i didn't mean to offend. a starting block is a good foundation to build on. if you're determined then you'll learn what works and what you like and build on it.

Just to throw fuel on the bread yeast fire, I put some us-05 yeast cake in my sourdough culture... I'm looking forwards to seeing the effect on my bread.

I will have to have another look through the JAO thread re s-05, but as has been mentioned here, I think it's a good experiment if nothing else to see what's possible with different ingredients. I've already discovered Tandaco bread yeast can handle at least 10.5% ABV!

And I was just messin with ya Byran :)

Cheers,
Al

I'm thinking now of running two batches side by side (2 x 2L batches). I'll use bread yeast for one, and try a few raisins in the other.

The more I think of raisins, the more I like the idea. I mean, originally wine was fermented using the natural yeasts on the skin, and I used champagne yeast for my 2nd cider batch, so it makes sense.

I might get a third batch of cider/raisins going too.

Maybe we should get a separate "brewing with bread yeast" category... for the truly "old school" brewer...

Hyper.Intelligent.Fish said:
I'm thinking now of running two batches side by side (2 x 2L batches). I'll use bread yeast for one, and try a few raisins in the other.

The more I think of raisins, the more I like the idea. I mean, originally wine was fermented using the natural yeasts on the skin, and I used champagne yeast for my 2nd cider batch, so it makes sense.

Maybe we should get a separate "brewing with bread yeast" category... for the truly "old school" brewer...
probably best to wait until you post your results before that kind of category gets under way mate. as many have said, if nothing else, with all due respect, i would use a better yeast.

Fishy I like your willingness to experiment. Your best lessons learnt are always from your mistakes. Your approach should give you a good insight to why other ingredients are used. Sometimes the best way to learn is to strip something back to basics and start from there.
Take some advice from others though, the bloke before sounded like he has done this already, and said the biggest improvement he came up with was brewing yeast.

We made ginger beer many times as kids with the only source of yeast being Sultanas.
But we made a "starter" thing first with a bit of ginger + sugar + sultanas, which we called a "plant".

Our recipe *always* had some lemon zest, and/or lemon juice in it.

Sometimes some of the bottles didn't even explode.

Mr Wibble said:
We made ginger beer many times as kids with the only source of yeast being Sultanas.
But we made a "starter" thing first with a bit of ginger + sugar + sultanas, which we called a "plant".

I think I have that recipe, it says after a week your ginger beer plant will be ready mix all ingredients together and bottle. You are sposed to drink it while its still fermenting but sounds like a way to get rid of heaps of bottles to me.

Mr Wibble said:

Thats gold.

The ginger plant us like a sourdough culture. It contains the yeast.

The rasins provided sugar and nutrient for yeast growth.
Cheers
Dave

My old neighbour who still visits regularly and brings me his concoctions is a big one for not complicating shit. He hates beer, his a QLD rum drinker, BUT he seen me brewing beer after he moved in next door one day and he wanted in.

So I taught him the basics and he also found an American book in a second hand shop called something like 'GrandDads Brew Cookbook' and he was off.

He doesn't use bought yeast anymore, he relies like many European Wineries on the wild yeast on the fruit and in his shed, his pounds and crushes it up, throws it in an open bucket , adds sugar and water and let's it sit for a coupla weeks in the corner of his shed, then he bottles and carbonates into soft drink pet bottles and I'm telling you, his apple cider, apple pear cider and his ginger beers are better then any store bought I have had, YES it's a different, fresher, fruitier taste, but it's damn good drinking (you poms who had farm scrumpy would prolly know). Can have big sessions on it were most people have a few ginger beers and are right sick of it.
He brought a heap to my wedding and the word got round and he had people lining up at his campervan around the back of my house getting their glasses filled up.

So if you want to keep it simple and cheap, do it, it does taste good, you don't need ferment control, fancy spices, $8 yeasts, a 4000 post count on AHB and a chemical engineering degree to make good alcohol, YES beer may be different, but these others, go for it.

Hyper.Intelligent.Fish said:

It still is in many wineries around the world, including here in GayStaya, just try it.

I worked with Serbians not long ago, they are big on Plum drink and Plum Brandy, guess where the yeast comes from, the skin of the plum and what living in the 200l poly buckets they crush and ferment in. Plum Brandy is their National Drink, like ours is 'Fosters' :p

Yeah - there's a classic home recipe for a 'ginger beer starter' or 'ginger bug' that has sugar, some water and lemon juice, and some ginger and sultanas (and/or raisins). You feed it a couple of days until you see bubbling, then you put some as a starter in the bottom of some bottles. Old plastic milk bottles are good (so long as they're reasonably clean) because their shape may distort because of the fermentation but they won't explode. You set some of the starter aside each time to provide a plant for a new bunch of ginger beer.

Ginger is one of the classic flavourings too. I made a nice wheat beer recently with ginger added - half wheat, half ale malt, threw some grated ginger root in the boil, then when I'd got the beer in the demijohn I added lime zest and mint leaves to provide flavour during fermentation. Worked a treat.

It all depends on what you are after. If you want genuine old fashioned ginger beer then you need a real ginger beer plant (GBP). You can't make one yourself. You need to buy it or get one from someone else. There is a yahoo group dedicated to it.
However, if you want to make something more simple and similar, I just use a neutral yeast like a wine yeast or champagne yeast, sugar, water. Start off with a couple of cups of water in a wide mouthed jar. Add one teaspoon of sugar and one of dry ginger each day. Cover the jar with some thin cloth like muslin or a handkerchief to stop bugs getting in. After a week, strain or decant off the liquid. Add this to a couple of litres of water, depending on how strong you want it, and add a small amount of lemon juice to taste. Bottle. Store at room temp for a few days. It will continue to ferment. Then refrigerate to stop fermentation. Leave another week or so and drink. Open carefully and over a sink! You can drink it after a couple of days if you want. Unlike real beer, it is pretty uncontrolled and sanitation is healthy but not as important as real beer.
You can reuse the mix settled on the bottom. Just throw half away. Woolies had powdered ginger at half the price to Coles. Catering stores have it in larger bags for dirt cheap.

Sure you can make a ginger beer plant yourself. You just use the wild yeast that comes from either the raisins or sultanas or the ginger. Plenty of recipes around that recommend exactly that.

Of course, being wild you're not entirely sure *what* yeast you're going to get and some people will end up with a much stronger wild yeast than others, and inevitably there will be a lot of differences between the yeast in one plant and another.

For those who have time enough, and space enough, and enough people to drink ginger beer... might be an interesting experiment, starting off several different ginger beer plants, and seeing what the taste ended up like.

(I heard a story the other day about a bread maker in Japan who used wild yeast to start off her breads, one yeast which came from (I think) rhubarb... and apparently this Japanese bread maker maintained that all the breads she'd made from this starter since had a rhubarb character.)

A genuine ginger beer plant is a specific yeast and a specific bacteria. They could in theory happen by accident but very unlikely. If you're going to go down the wild yeast road then might as well use a wine yeast and at least have some control. The true GBP dropped away from popularity during WW2. It is a white gelatinous sort of thing. The yeast is low alcohol tolerant but the bacteria feeds on alcohol so they live happily ever after together.

If it's worked and still is working for many very very high class wineries, and is working for my rum swigging old neighbour, why complicate it and change things. As I've said to the yeast re-use haters, some home brewers brew for saving a dollar and buying yeast at $5+ packet is a saving.

The true GBP dropped away from popularity during WW2. It is a white gelatinous sort of thing. The yeast is low alcohol tolerant but the bacteria feeds on alcohol so they live happily ever after together.

Ooh, a SCOBY! (Symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast).

Acshlly one of my brew books (True Brews) has plenty of suggestions for soft drinks made from kefir (it's another SCOBY, the starters are these small granules that - when they bunch up together - look kinda like cauliflower). Presumably working on the same principle.

I'm kinda intrigued now about this old time ginger beer plant. Ginger beer's been around for quite a while so it's a pity these cultures seem to be hard to come by now.

I was just trying to keep it simple.
I have yet to hear of anyone in Australia selling a true GBP. I only know of 3 ( there was a 4th but not now) in the world that sell it commercially.
I steer away from all those additions. The only thing I might add is a sprig of mint to the glass. Appreciate ginger beer for what it is.

Latest posts

Back