BeerSmith 2 - Volumes dont add up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_guy

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry if this has already been asked -

Why does Beersmith 2 tell me to add 50.81 Lt of water (see photo 2) for a batch volume of 27 lt (see photo 3)

Also what is it saying fly sparge when I have (I think I have) set it up for BIAB with no sparge?

photo 1.PNGphoto 2.PNGphoto 3.PNG

Cheers

New_Guy

You'll have about 10L loss due to grain, and you have set 3.79L TUN loss so 50.81 sounds about right to get 39.59L in your kettle, pre boil.

I like the bit where you fly sparge with negative 3.79L of water :blink:

Parks said:
I like the bit where you fly sparge with negative 3.79L of water :blink:
yeah! I agree - what the fire truck does that mean?

It doesn't in your images. I really haven't used the mobile version but in the desktop version you set in preferences -

Screen Shot 2014-01-21 at 12.18.41 pm.png

For some reason in the current version it doesn't have the correct metric units...

+ 7.5L boil off? Either that's a wide shallow pot or not correct, have you actually measured this? Mine is 3.5L/hr I'm using an electric element in a keggle.
Loss to grain sounds a bit high too, I know the base setting is a bit low but try 1.1-1.3

I recently listened to a Beersmith podcast Brad said do 5 brews before you change anything, then change 1 parameter at a time.
Beersmith is good bit takes a bit of tuning.

Tex083 said:
+ 7.5L boil off? Either that's a wide shallow pot or not correct, have you actually measured this? Mine is 3.5L/hr I'm using an electric element in a keggle. Loss to grain sounds a bit high too, I know the base setting is a bit low but try 1.1-1.3 I recently listened to a Beersmith podcast Brad said do 5 brews before you change anything, then change 1 parameter at a time. Beersmith is good bit takes a bit of tuning.
I used the settings from the "stainless steel keg" that was in there as a default.
I brew in a 50lt Keg and want 26lt batches for my 30lt FV

I think there stainless steal kegs are 58 lt - can send you my profile for a 50L keg set up (when i get home)

To me it seems you may have something wrong with the mash profile. :-/ you would probably only need 20 lts for that grain bill.

Sorry I was on the phone before and couldnt access Beersmith, I will have a look at my settings now and post them up.

Ok the default setting for a SS keg in Beersmith is 37.85L Batch, 50.88L Boil and 35.02L into the fermenter
If I put the same malt bill into my Beersmith I get a Mash in vol of 19.3L and sparge of 30L - which sounds a little high but puts you up to 50L
If I change the equipment back to my HERMS I get A mash in vol of 16.6 and sparge of 23.8 giving an OG of 1.054 (I use 80% eff. BIAB gets slightly less)

Can you take a photo of the equipment setup page on beersmith and we should be able to nut it out.

After playing around a bit I have forund that you probably havent selected the correct mash profile.
On the desktop version under the design part where you add the grain, hops and yeast. You have a beer style indicator which allows you to target the brew your making - BS adjusts the target gravity, IBU's and colour.
Under that is the Mash and carbonation settings, you MUST choose BIAB this will remove the batch/fly sparge thing, when I had it set to Single infusion it was giving crazy numbers. Try changing the MASH profile.

http://www.beersmith.com/help2/index.html?mash_profiles.htm

p.s Im in Pascoe Vale South let me know if you need a hand.

SimoB said:
I think there stainless steal kegs are 58 lt - can send you my profile for a 50L keg set up (when i get home)

To me it seems you may have something wrong with the mash profile. :-/ you would probably only need 20 lts for that grain bill.
cheers mate that woudl be great

Here is a screen shot of mine... your trub losses and stuff may be different depending on how your pick up tube is placed.

Screen Shot 2014-01-21 at 5.21.07 pm.png

double check your mash profile though, there may be an extra step in there or something.

Sorry I was on the phone before and couldnt access Beersmith, I will have a look at my settings now and post them up.

Ok the default setting for a SS keg in Beersmith is 37.85L Batch, 50.88L Boil and 35.02L into the fermenter
If I put the same malt bill into my Beersmith I get a Mash in vol of 19.3L and sparge of 30L - which sounds a little high but puts you up to 50L
If I change the equipment back to my HERMS I get A mash in vol of 16.6 and sparge of 23.8 giving an OG of 1.054 (I use 80% eff. BIAB gets slightly less)

Can you take a photo of the equipment setup page on beersmith and we should be able to nut it out.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1390285577.013751.jpg

Here is my BIAB mash profile

BeerSmith actually enables you to design your own mash profile, and save it for future use. No need to use their pre-determined ones.

Latest posts

Back