Beermakers Ginger Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anorexorcist

Reaction score
hey all,
Ive been looking through the forums hoping to find an answer to my problem, but havnt found anything as yet, so i figured i'd post this.

I have made 3 lots of ginger beer since i started brewing, the first was the beermakers brand, it came out sour and smelt bad, so i assumed it got infected and threw it out. Second i tried coopers, but found it to be too sweet, as ive seen alot of you agree. So i tried beermakers again, which is what im brewing now.

Went to test it with the hydrometer and noticed the same sour smell, kind of like lemon .. but generally not good. Gave it a taste, and it was just like before.

Everything else ive brewed has come out fine, maybe its just me?

Can't comment on your brews anorexorcist but i've found the Morgan's Ginger Beer to be the best of the bunch. The GF doesn't really get into the beers but sure loves the gingers.

I always have a Ginger Beer hanging around, admittedly in a keg. I used to make an alcoholic version, it was good but didn't get drunk enough so it hung around for ages.

Most of the time now I just use the kit, don't add any sugar at all and just gas it up. 0% alcohol and low joule but tastes good. So far I've tried 4 of the kits, including that Qld plastic bag version (I've forgotten the name) and all of them turn out OK - some sweeter than others but all quite drinkable and the family love it. Based on this I'd have thought that all of them turned out passable GB - maybe not quite like Bundaberg, but more than passable. SWMBO likes it because she just adds brandy (???) to it if she wants a hit!

I'm wondering if your problem is just simple infections. Are you making beer as well and are they turning out OK.

Are you using different equipment for the GB?

Did the ferment go OK - did it happen roughly the same as your beers?

Trev

Latest posts

Back