Beerfest 2016 - Melbourne Brewers 26-27 Feb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
getting close now..

My 4 entries are in the fridge getting a bit of TLC for the carb levels, got the PET's at 30 PSI so that when I take the SS CPF lids off and replace them the carb level should be just about right.. heres hoping.

2 in specialty (wood aged - Barrel RIS and Fruit - Raspberry RIS)
1 in Pale Ale - SWMBO thought it was too bitter and I said it was balanced.. well soon find out..
1 in stout RIS - will probably bomb as it's more a specialty that a normal stout.

Id put on in strong ale - Scotch ale but again, it's CERTAINLY more of a specialty and it'd bomb

Looking forward to next weekend.

:beerbang:

Sounds good Yob.
Last night I placed 3 entries.
American pale ale, Hefeweizen and a Bohemian Pilsner.
Had to throw the pilsner into an esky + heat pad to help carb it up a bit more, it was still pretty flat 2 weeks ago.
I can't make it again this year, hopefully I can sort my priorities out next time.
Sounds like a fantastic weekend away.
Goodluck everyone

I found a potential plastic bomb as I rushed the entry out of the fermenter .. it still had fruit sugars fermenting and now in a rush to get it out of circulation and replace it.. mind you it is FREAKING TASTY ! even if it is a gusher..I drank 3 bottles last night from the 5 Lt put aside.

I'm gonna be cutting it fine! My entry is in the fermenter still! Going to keg it, force carb it, CPBF it Thursday or Friday, and drop off to Greensy on Saturday morning!

I'm gonna be cutting it fine! My entry is in the fermenter still!

I was going to rack it of the yeast, add gelatin to secondary tonight, the bottle of Friday night (or saturday morning)

Going straight into pet and carbed up using a carb cap.

But more than likely will skip the gelatin stage and just chill for longer as I dotn know what time Ill get home tonight.

Ill be putting my entry without the suit this time...At least I get feedback on the base beer..

dropped mine off last week 8
Hef, bock, apa, boh pil, german pil, irish red, special (3.6% APA), american barley

Entries.. fingers crossed.. all new brews from the Christmas Break mostly. With 2-3 experimental beers I have not tried before.
Baltic Porter Berliner Weisse Wood-aged Beer Vienna Lager Eisbock Strong Scotch Ale Russian Imperial Stout Munich Dunkel

Was tempted to put in my new barley wine and RIS but it needs a little more time to mellow out.

Grainer said:
Baltic Porter Berliner Weisse Wood-aged Beer Vienna Lager Eisbock Strong Scotch Ale Russian Imperial Stout Munich Dunkel
Given the lack of punctuation do we assume that is one very special "speciality"

GrumpyPaul said:
Given the lack of punctuation do we assume that is one very special "speciality"
Keep an eye out for that one at the judging table.

GrumpyPaul said:
I'm gonna be cutting it fine! My entry is in the fermenter still!

I was going to rack it of the yeast, add gelatin to secondary tonight, the bottle of Friday night (or saturday morning)

Going straight into pet and carbed up using a carb cap.

But more than likely will skip the gelatin stage and just chill for longer as I dotn know what time Ill get home tonight.
I've never used gelatin but they reckon it drops clear in about 24hrs

I bottled a batch on Saturday morning. Planning to enter it as my first go in a Victorian comp. It's a nice clean brew but to me lacks a wow factor. Nothing to lose so will see how it goes.

With all the rushed brews, it sounds like Yob's precautionary measures are somewhat justified.
Tell me to shut up any time you please.

manticle said:
Woth all the rushed brews, it sounds like Yob's precautionary measures are somewhat justified.
Shut up Mudd

Just bottled an Azacca Citra APA tonight, too bad it wasn't made 4 weeks ago :-[

manticle said:
With all the rushed brews, it sounds like Yob's precautionary measures are somewhat justified.
With CPBF from a keg, isn't the chance of this greatly reduced? I mean, if you've fermented out a beer, carbed it in a keg, then filled it under pressure into a PET bottle... there's no secondary fermentation in the bottle and, unless you've inherited an infection between keg and bottle, wouldn't there be minimal to no chance of a bottle bomb? Or were you referring to the old secondary fermentation/carbonation in a dodgy old champagne bottle?

Slawson said:
I bottled a batch on Saturday morning. Planning to enter it as my first go in a Victorian comp. It's a nice clean brew but to me lacks a wow factor. Nothing to lose so will see how it goes.
Nothing to lose at all, and valuable feedback to gain. If you get experienced judges evaluating your beer, you will hopefully get some honest and unbiased feedback that can help you improve the recipe for next time. Even if they don't say what to do next time, look up what they didn't like about it (if they didn't like it), and see how those things can be solved, or ask on here. And one important thing to remember with these comps: It may be the best beer in the world, but if it is entered in the wrong category or isn't in line with the style description, it won't do well.

Not referring to finished beer being bottled via CPBF, no.

Beer that is rushed out of a fermenter to become bottled via whichever method - yes.

Well mine is still in the fermenter, but it finished fermenting at the start of the week. Just conditioning it.

could i express post to somewhere to receive tomoz?

ah entries closed 13th - i'm a bit light on anyway hehe

Latest posts

Back