Beer Vs Wine - The Great Challenge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbirbeck

Reaction score
Recently it was put to me by a wine drinker that Beer is not a drink for all occasions and could not be drunk all day in the same way one moves through the white wine, to reds and onto spirits (scotches particularly which given the challenge I thought was cheating but...). I disagreed and accepted the challenge beer vs wine...

And so I would like a bit of help in designing the perfect beer drinking day. not about session beers, but from moving through a range to end with a beautiful sipper.

To Start: Duvel
then a hoppy Pilsner
Vienna Lager
followed by something Maltier, Ocotberfest perhaps.
Break up the maltiness with a Hoppy Pale Ale
Ramp it up a bit with an IPA
Then a Double IPA
an Orval or similar for a change of pace
Dark Belgian Strong
Barley wine before bed

Well you would generally start by moving from light body/colour/hop + malt profile through to progressively darker/hoppier/body.

So... start at a pilsner and work through to a porter/stout at the end.

So I guess somethng like pilsners and other light largers, into APA's/English Pales/Bitter, IPA, Irish Reds/Amber Ales, Bocks and then into Porters and Stouts. Stout is great at desert with chocolate.

That would be a pretty high-level idea, and really no different to doing it with wine - just think about the flavour profiles and slowly build them up.

Just my 2c worth...

Recently it was put to me by a wine drinker that Beer is not a drink for all occasions and could not be drunk all day in the same way one moves through the white wine, to reds and onto spirits (scotches particularly which given the challenge I thought was cheating but...). I disagreed and accepted the challenge beer vs wine...

And so I would like a bit of help in designing the perfect beer drinking day. not about session beers, but from moving through a range to end with a beautiful sipper.

Scotch resembles beer more than wine, considering it starts its life as a resemblance of beer, unlike wine... So he is cheating, at least with beer you can just drink beer for everything and you dont need to cheat and throw a non beer drink in there.. So really, theyve allready admitted defeat :lol:

1. Mild
2. Fuller's ESB.
3. Pilsner Urquell.
4. Weizen.
5. Tripel.
6. Guinness Stout.
7. APA.
8. IPA.
9. Pilsner Urquell (to cleanse palate). <-- Optional, can remove
10. Belgian Dark Strong.
11. Russian Imperial Stout.

Can i attend/participate in this day of drinking?

The above suggestions have mae me very thristy.... :icon_drool2:

You can't reason with idiot's so it's pointless even offering up a challenge with one in the first place.

To Start: Duvel
then a hoppy Pilsner
Vienna Lager
followed by something Maltier, Ocotberfest perhaps.
Break up the maltiness with a Hoppy Pale Ale
Ramp it up a bit with an IPA
Then a Double IPA
an Orval or similar for a change of pace
Dark Belgian Strong
Barley wine before bed

Ok, so that is breakfast out of the way, what about after lunch?

Ahh I was going to suggest the OP look that up.

Aside from the book, there is a podcast of a salon session at the GABF, it was a live session of "He said Beer, She said Wine" in which Sam Calagione from Dogfishead brewing and Marnie Old (a wine expert) do comparison tastings (including the audience) of beer and wine matched with various foods.

Sounds just like the sort of test/trial/challenge you are looking for.

It seems to have been on Craft Beer Radio, here's a link -- http://www.craftbeerradio.com/audio/by/tit...on_food_pairing --

Well worth a listen, interesting even without your upcoming challenge

Thirsty

PS - I agree, he doesn't get to play with spirits. They are no more wine than scotch is beer. But if he insists... you get the whiskeys and any other grain based spirits, he has to only play with grape based spirits - so he can have brandy and grappa. Even fortified wines should be out of bounds for him... they have neutral spirits added to them, unless those spirits are grape based and he can prove it....... Oh and if you want to get technical - Sakai is a beer.

Go get him tiger

Last edited by a moderator:
Go get him tiger

GRRRR

Cheers Guys...appreciate the input. will take it on board and see what i can develop and post results once they are in. He may of course have been a little inebriated drinking TEDs to remember though...

If it were to happen, it would be good to get any aged example of a dopplebock or similar as well (had a Korbinian the other night..mmm) for those oxidised/aged mellow characteristics. Possibly also a knappstein reserve for the vinous aspect - and have some prawns for the hell of it while you are there.

I had this discussion with my wife just the other day - choice in wine is so much more limited than beer.
We can choose colour, grain flavour, balance, hop flavour, strength, yeast character, etc, etc, etc

Essentially a beer for every mood in every climate at every occasion - and then some!

But at the end of the day I agree with Devo. You can't argue with a zealot - even if you lead this particular horse to water it's unlikely you'd get him to agree. Which is fine; each to his passion, as long as he credits yours as worthy.

Refer back to Michael Jackson, he marries beer with food and shows that beer can replace wine in complexity and aroma.

Latest posts

Back