Hi all, I just joined and here's my story

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardcliff

Reaction score
I am on the NSW South Coast.

I am a relative newbie to the art of home brewing, however, not nearly so new at drinking beer, or spirits ... or fortified wines ........ or dessert wines. Wine, not so much, unless there is nothing else available, and usually even then it has to be free. If I wanted that red wine taste, I could just go and lick the carpet.

I know that sounds excessive, but my younger days of binging are over, now I just drink more often. That way it's not bingeing, right? These days I just love to enjoy a few cold beers, and especially at home brew prices.

Anyway, I've made 5 or 6 home brew batches in the past, all from tins. I have only been bottling, with carbonation drops up to this point. I have had mixed success with carbonation and particularly head retention when pouring. (This has not impacted on the drinkability though).

I have just ordered a 23L keg and associated lines and fittings, which should arrive in the next week or so. I just picked up a new 6L CO2 bottle from my home brew supplier. I am ready to venture into the unknown world of home kegging. I am keeping 30 bottles for the odd attempt at a ginger beer etc, but plan to keep a steady flow of liquid gold flowing through the front of my soon to be converted "beer fridge".

I plan to continue with tinned brews at least for the short term, with a view to changing things up a bit now and then flavour wise, via combining tins or adding flavours to the mix etc. I can't see myself brewing from scratch just yet, but maybe the time will come when I have the room and determination to go the whole hog.

I offer my thanks in advance for all your wisdom, and my apologies in advance for my lack thereof.

Nothing left to say for now but CHEERS!

Welcome aboard!

If you're interested in meeting local brewers, depending upon your location on the south coast, PM 'Cortez the killer' and he can get you access to the IBU (Illawarra brewers union) sub-forum.

Note: He's not as tough as his name implies.. but don't tell him I said that. Please.

Thanks Sponge. I'm a little South of Nowra (where I get good help from the friendly staff at The Brew Shop).

From the sound of the name, I'm probably a little further South than Cortez, but I'll probably check it out. And don't worry, the secret is safe with me!

Cheers

Welcome to the Asylum

Leave while you still can.....

Your missus will never understand shiny stainless like we do

Welcome aboard...this is a great community and you can learn a lot!

Welcome the this wonderful world Wardcliff,

Im also NSW south coast nice to see another brewer down this way!!

Youll get lots of advice and info from this website,

All the best in your new found hobby,

Beamer

Thanks for all the welcoming words folks. I have only just realised I had all these replies.

I'm keen to learn, and I came across Brewer Pete's JAO mead thread, which I have read start to finish. I have just set a double batch down.

Thanks again all.

Cheers

Wardcliff said:
I can't see myself brewing from scratch just yet, but maybe the time will come when I have the room and determination to go the whole hog.
It's a lost cause mate, only took about 6 months for me to go from 'why bother going to all that trouble' to 'I need to build an all-grain rig, now!'

Accept the inevitable, it's a slippery slope but so much fun to slide down!

Welcome.
As soon as you start kegging you will realise you need more than one keg, otherwqise you will run out of beer. :chug:

I have 3, and thats a small amount to some of the guys around here!

Matplat said:
It's a lost cause mate, only took about 6 months for me to go from 'why bother going to all that trouble' to 'I need to build an all-grain rig, now!'

Accept the inevitable, it's a slippery slope but so much fun to slide down!
Matplat is right... I've only been doing this since late January and have only done 2 tin batches (one involved a grain steep as well) and I've just done my first BIAB! You will be assimilated!!!

PS Welcome by the way :)

Welcome mate... as the others have said, welcome to the asylum.

Before going all-grain I had great experience with Mangrove Jacks kits, ie the Helles Pilsener which includes some hops in the packet for dry hopping. Tasted fantastic and the added aroma from the dry hops masked the "extract twang" (a term used for the taste imparted to kit brews from their packaging).

Quality kits like the above will turn you off the typical kits and push you to all-grain.

ONE OF US.

ONE OF US.

hey mate if you ever come west along the coast I'm in Eagle Point just after Lakes Entrance

don't be afraid to PM someone if that someone is doing something that you think might help your particular needs - i've never not had someone reply to a PM, ya just gotta ask

and attending brew days is a great and relatively stress free way of meeting your peers, learning, friendships ...

i've had three synapses (that i know of...) whilst being a brewer:

1. competition with mates brewing the same recipe - blind tasting comp
  2. attending a case swap/brew day
  3. entering a comp
enjoy the slippery slope

Welcome to the hole.. the money pit!

droid said:
hey mate if you ever come west along the coast I'm in Eagle Point just after Lakes Entrance

don't be afraid to PM someone if that someone is doing something that you think might help your particular needs - i've never not had someone reply to a PM, ya just gotta ask

and attending brew days is a great and relatively stress free way of meeting your peers, learning, friendships ...

i've had three synapses (that i know of...) whilst being a brewer:

• competition with mates brewing the same recipe - blind tasting comp
  • attending a case swap/brew day
  • entering a comp
enjoy the slippery slope
4) getting on the podium for Comp brew. That RIS looks delicious.

the rabbit hole is deep... if you have already dropped $$ on kegging equipment you are waaay past the point of no return.... :)

Welcome !!

...and next it's fermentation temp control (brew fridge), then upscale the batch size and try BIAB or dive in to HERMS/RIMS/Esky/Keg mash tun.

Maybe win a place or a prize in a competition, join a club. Realise that the ferment fridge is not big enough for 2 fermentors, so you upsize and buy 2 X 50 litre stainless fustis, and then a larger kettle and a better gas burner.
Get a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity price on a conical and then you need a dedicated larger fridge again, AND a pump.
More kegs required to keep up, and then you're close to where I am now.

Whew, what a crazy ride...

That's great that you're now "One of us, one of us, one of us...

Latest posts

Back