Beer Spoiling In A Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherby

Reaction score
I have two fermenters of extract APA that have been sitting for about 3 weeks. I have 4 kegs and a day off so plan to transfer to kegs today. I have no CO2 however and want to know if the beer will be ill affected if it's not carbed straight away. Won't be getting CO2 for about 3 weeks.

Cheers

P.S. Could bottle it, but am over washing bottles.

Bulk prime the kegs and let them carb up naturally. After a few days, pull the relief valve a few times to help push any remaining oxygen out of the headspace. In three weeks time they should be nearly all carbed and ready to drink.

Cheers SJ

I have two fermenters of extract APA that have been sitting for about 3 weeks. I have 4 kegs and a day off so plan to transfer to kegs today. I have no CO2 however and want to know if the beer will be ill affected if it's not carbed straight away. Won't be getting CO2 for about 3 weeks.

Cheers

P.S. Could bottle it, but am over washing bottles.
I can relate to not wanting to wash any more glass!

In all honesty, I'd look at natural carbonation with some sugar, seems to be a perfect solution in the interim.

O.K. Thanks guys.

I have carb drops, brewing sugar or white sugar, no dextrose, probably add some carb drops if noone suggests otherwise.

O.K. Thanks guys.

I have carb drops, brewing sugar or white sugar, no dextrose, probably add some carb drops if noone suggests otherwise.
Isn't brewing sugar dextrose? Is it the really fine white sugar?

You'd be fine to bulk prime with normal table sugar, carb drops would be fine also but migh be a bit of a PITA to get the amount spot on, either way it'll work fine

i wouldnt even bother bulk priming. all you really want is a little CO2 blanket in the keg to protect it from oxidising. So yeah throw some sugar in there and let it ferment a little thus creating CO2. But IMO not worth bulk priming.

you can of course do it. completely up to you.

1. let the words bulk priming be exchangable for using carb drops or dumping amounts of brewing sugar in or whatever)

2. ive done it once. i normally make sure i have gas. and if at a pinch I can always use my portable mini gas cylinders - ala this. so the one time was before i had my mini gas charger.

its exactly the same as what the others are suggestining just to a lesser degree. think of it this way. if you fully bulk prime, the keg becomes a large bottle and you will get sediment from fermentation. not whilst thats not a big deal its more sediment than you need. if you only use a small amount (yes i know the wword 'small' isnt a scienntific amount) then you minimise the amount of sediment whilst procuding enough CO2 to keep your beer safe from oxidisation. Im guessing (purely guessing mind you) that 100g of sugar would be enough in a 19L keg. this is of course providing you haven stripped out all the yeast through filtering or something prior.

3. now there is nothing wrong with bulk priming a keg. there are guys on AHB who do it to save on gas. I personally will prefer to spend the extra on a little gas rather than bulk prime a keg.

4. once youve let it 'ferment' and got a CO2 layer, then make sure you keep it cool. which is just good practise with beer anyway.

all down to personally preferance.

Beersmith can tell you how much sugar to add for kegging.

100g might be too much, many people use about half the amount compared to bottling... i would say around 60-70g.

the only minor issue is the rubber bung likes a bit of pressure to form a good seal, last time i used sugar it failed to do so and i only noticed 2 weeks in.... run some keg lube around the edge and you'll probably be fine

Ferg..i natural carb all my keg's,they turn out fine..remember i don't use corny's
I'd be interested to try a beer like this...
Maybe we can put yout name down to supply a keg at the club oneday , done like this !
F

Brewboys add sugar to the fermenter & bulk prime kegs. I've got no idea if that's industry standard.

Back on topic, as pointed out earlier, the keg may not seal but a bit of sugar would still fill the headspace with co2 & push out the oxygen. I had to rack a beer on Sunday which I don't normally do. I put a sprinkle of dex into the secondary fermenter for the same reason. I'm buggered if I know if it'll do anything or not but I can't see how it would hurt. It was probably only about a tablespoon.

cheers everyone I used 50g white sugar, which was 2 tablespoons in each keg.

Latest posts

Back