Beer Serving Temp's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These temps are pretty arbitrary - I don't stick a thermometer in my glass before drinking.

I do. :lol:

Not all the time, but periodically, to check that everything is as it should be. (cos the fridge isn't temp mate controlled, it's just on it's own thermostat). I also do it on the odd occasion when drinking from bottles the beers that I prefer at non fridge/non ambient temps, like the stouts. To check that it's been chilled (or warmed, as the case may be) enough. Particularly if it's a new recipe, or it's something I've been given for feedback, so I need it to be at the right temperature for more accurate evaluation.

Now, I'm not a pedant....as I said, it's only occasionaly, and only for a reason. :lol:

My kegarator is set to 6C, but as I was pressed to do two lagers I made space in the kegerator for a ferm and set it to 10C. I actually thought the american wheat I had in there at the time came out nicer. Next time I have some ESB or IPA's on I'll move it up to this temp again.

Lagers IMO are definantly best served 0-1 deg. All pubs that i have set up i have had the beers hitting the glass from the flodded fonts at +.05 deg.. Must say no complaints yet. On a hot day there is nothing better than a ice cold beer or 6 :) On my flodded font at home, beers hit the glass at -1 deg, but must say when flushing lines i have to turn off the SupperChiller to avoid icing up. I will leave the warm beers for the bath dodgers :)

3-5 for me if i want it wamer then i let it sit in the glass for a bit befor drinking, ill be taking my kegerator too my dads house for christmas and they will want the beer served ice cold cause they are used too drinking west end :icon_vomit: and we all know what warm swill is like.

riverside; are you talking about decent lagers, or the watered down shitty swill that masquerades as lager in this country, that needs to be chilled to the nth degree to cover up the wet dog flavour?

riverside; are you talking about decent lagers, or the watered down shitty swill that masquerades as lager in this country, that needs to be chilled to the nth degree to cover up the wet dog flavour?

you are in a good mood today - that's an unusually kind description as opposed to the usual mouthfull of filth you usually use to descibe WE

Depends on what you call a decent larger, in relation to the pub set ups its commercial beers, and yes i know most are watery swill ! But for me i would go for a cold lager (any style) before one say served at 5-6 deg. Maybe you subsitute a little flavor, but its bound to be mega refreshing after a hot hard days work.

Depends on what you call a decent larger, in relation to the pub set ups its commercial beers, and yes i know most are watery swill ! But for me i would go for a cold lager (any style) before one say served at 5-6 deg. Maybe you subsitute a little flavor, but its bound to be mega refreshing after a hot hard days work.

Were I you I would bookmark this post and come back to it in a years time (maybe 2).

I think you will be quite surprised how your taste may change after being on this forum for that long, or maybe after a case swap.

I have my kegerator setup at 7c and the glasses also come from the fridge chilled. That said i dont make lagers yet just APAs, and IPA's or ale mongrels. When i start doing lagers i think i will drop it down to 4c. Or maybe buy a fridge for lagers, now thats a good idea.

Fridge set at 7 deg, I usually have a dark beer and a pale beer on tap so I drink the pales straight away once poured and usually let the stouts/porters/olds sit for a bit in the glass. I find it to be a happy medium. Anything (IMO of course) served at 1-2 degrees is pretty much a waste, something you just gotta put up with in most pubs though these days, which is why I don't go to them much anymore.

I have my serving freezer at 5,enjoy my apa and lager at about that temp.But always allow my Belgian beers to be around 10 degrees.

Oh that reminds me, time for a Leffe brune :icon_cheers:

Would that be clear or purple Meths :lol: .??

To put in the stove to warm up the beer first :unsure: of course..

edit : stout at about 8-10c to release the more subtle flavours.

Were I you I would bookmark this post and come back to it in a years time (maybe 2).

I think you will be quite surprised how your taste may change after being on this forum for that long, or maybe after a case swap.
lol, if i were me i would serve largers colder on a hot day :)

Noone has really mentioned what serving temp changes. A lower temp does three things I can immediately think of:

- numbs the tongue, good if you don't want to be able to taste what you're drinking.
- lowers volatility of aromatics (esters, phenolics, hop compounds), lowering aroma which highly influences taste.
- lowers evolution of co2 which also lowers release of aromatics

These reasons are why I drink my beer cool, not cold. A cold beer only goes down well in the summer sun, and it may as well be veeb or xxxx.

I find if I pour a 400ml schooner @ 4 degrees, it's about 8 degrees on the last swig. I don't drink directly from the keg.

In summer, I get ROOOEAL CLAAAAAASY - and put a stubbie cooler around my schooner. Works a treat. I don't like 10 degree beer.

If I want an icecream headache, I'll eat icecream. 1 degree beer! :wacko:

Back