Beer Prices Over The Top?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewman_

AHB Sponsor
AHB Sponsor
Reaction score
Fathers day today, and the family took me out into the upper reaches of the Hunter Valley. Great spot, great day, very lucky to live in such a nice place. It was a hot day here and was not really a beer drinking location we were at, and the kegs at home were not ready to drink. So I stopped in at the local bottle shop to get a few cold one's to take home. Picked out a carton of Coopers Pale, and took to the check out. $53 the lady said.

I thought WTF, it's a bit pricey? I asked if that was correct and the lady showed me some list that she said showed that the carton costs her $46. I don't always buy beer, rather brew my own, but it seemed over the top to me?

What do others pay for a carton of Coopers Pale? Am I just out of touch? Oh the other one I spotted was Becks at $65.

Fear_n_Loath

Last time I checked them at my local Dan Murphy's, they were $45 I think, but I'm sure I could find plenty of places that would sell them for similar prices to what you paid.

It's one of the main reasons I got into home brewing in the first place. That and the excitement of making it yourself.

Dm's has becks for 39.95 and coopers green for 46. But they had the green on sale last week for 38 a case....

Keep brewin your own :icon_cheers:

yes I have picked up CPA for about $45 and its usual price at wollies is $47 and the sparkling is $52 but can get that for the price of CPA most weeks. She must buy hers from woolies then sell it as never seen it above $50. Where was this place?? I was in gunnedah and they had no real range first place I went to and cost me $45 for 24 stubbies of new :S lucky 2 days later I found out that woolies had a bottlo in the shops so $42 for oettinger 500ml cans so knew which way I was going

I have a liqour license for my business although we don't manage to sell much of it at all really!!

If your buying power in certain products isn't very good your prices from ALM (Australian Liquor Merchants) and similar wholesalers will be shithouse.

Until we are selling more beer and wine, it's better for me to go the big chains and buy in bulk when they offer specials. The same can be said for specials at Coles and Woolies. The buying power from the big boys is simly staggering!!

It was at Dungog,

The lady explained the buying power thing to me at the time and I felt for her. She said they make money on wine.

Fear_n_loath

I've seen (and paid) $55 for cases of CPA from pub bottle shops in the past, even right in the middle of Sydney (Surry Hills) .

I pay about $50 for CPA and $50-$53 for Coopers Sparkling ale here in Tassie. Have seen places asking $60 for sparkling. Went elsewhere. nb, that was a big bottleshop - Liquorbarn...

I picked up a carton of coopers pale ale to take camping and it was on special for aroundf $39 at liquorland here. (Little creatures etc were all about $65 a carton.. too much for me to justify)

Well, I will just have to suck it in and brew some beer.

It sounds like prices seem to vary and the price I got was a little high, but around the $50 mark is not uncommon, and yeh even in Sydney,

Fear_n_loath

Yes, we do pay over the odds for beer of all kinds in Australia. It's called excise, and it is evil as sin.

coopers range at my local bottle-o $34.99 today so grabbed myself a carton of pale and sparkling , funny i went down to buy a cheap wine for osso bucco ended up with a stack of beer too, the gf wasnt impressed lol

I was working out at Chinchilla the last month, I went into the local bottle shop for a carton of something for my day off. I saw cartons of Fat Yak and as there was no price displayed I asked the girl how much they were, she had to look it up, " $68.00" she said.
I must have muttered "bloody hell" because she said " yes they are expensive, I've been here over a year and never sold one". If the price didn't convince me the thought of cartons sitting in the shop for over a year did.

I have never paid more then $44 for CPA A lot of time i can find sparkling on special for $44 or less in these parts.
Also, cause im cheeky, when i go to bottle shops and get a carton, i ask if they have any free promo stuff to give away. A lot of the time you can get a bottle opener or stubbie holder, beer mat.

Cheers! :)

It was at Dungog,

The lady explained the buying power thing to me at the time and I felt for her. She said they make money on wine.

Fear_n_loath
dungog iga have a bottleshop, you should have gone there! They also stock some boutique reds from the region

Excise component alone on a carton of CPA at 4.5% ABV is $13.22 and on CSA at 5.8% ABV is $18.35 then add GST, manufacture & distribution costs, profit magins and retail mark up etc etc etc. No wonder brewing you own is such an attractive option compared to paying retail

Bought 1/2 carton of Lobethal Beers for the weekend - $44.

A big fan of them and i always go back there for more when i need commercial beers.

Latest posts

Back