Beer Prices Over The Top?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's face it, the majority of us would not homebrew if commercial beers were not such a rip off.

QldKev

Good site, it's an eye opener when I found out Dan's was about the dearest place in town for most normal cartons.

QldKev
Noticed it only shows Duopoly owned stores only.

I think cartons & 6 packs haven't changed much in price for the last 10 years. So I think we are pretty fortunate. Except some craft beers which have decided they should sell in 4 packs, but charge $25 for the privilege.

Price of a beer in the pub on the other hand!!! Doubled in the last 10 years here in Perth ($5>$10 a pint). It because the government doesn't want people to go out and drink. Best way to stop alcohol fueled voilence supposedly is to stop people going out to drink at all.

I'd like to thank our excise system and legislation for the cost of commercial beer...

Don't tell Gillard about the CO2 in the beer, or we will get done for the cabon tax on it too

QldKev

I'd like to thank our excise system and legislation for the cost of commercial beer...

We could just have private health insurance - then we wouldn't worry about Joe Public's liver or his smashed up face because he'd be paying, not us.

There's another country like that. Cheap beer ... real expensive health care. ;)

I think the price of beer is the reason that many of us started brewing, good beer is much more affordable in my household now. What I have spent on brewing gear is another story :lol:

My 'wtf is Australian beer so expensive' moment was when I was in NZ on holiday and noticed most of the Aussie beers there were cheaper than I could buy them locally.

My 'wtf is Australian beer so expensive' moment was when I was in NZ on holiday and noticed most of the Aussie beers there were cheaper than I could buy them locally.

lol, when I was in Singapore I could get Bundaberg Ginger beer cheaper than I can in Bundy!

QldKev

I think cartons & 6 packs haven't changed much in price for the last 10 years. So I think we are pretty fortunate. Except some craft beers which have decided they should sell in 4 packs, but charge $25 for the privilege.

Price of a beer in the pub on the other hand!!! Doubled in the last 10 years here in Perth ($5>$10 a pint). It because the government doesn't want people to go out and drink. Best way to stop alcohol fueled voilence supposedly is to stop people going out to drink at all.

Really?
Before I "discovered good beer" I drank Toohey's Red.
7-8 years ago I was paying $28 (on special) to $32 for 30 cans.
Haven't bought it for a while now, but 12 months ago it was $40+ / carton, unless on special.
I'd say it went up by (at least) %25 in that time.

I wish beer was taxed @ the same rate as wine. We'd have a lot more choice, and it would cost a shitload less. Might make the expenditure on our home breweries a bit harder to justify though...

Really?
Before I "discovered good beer" I drank Toohey's Red.
7-8 years ago I was paying $28 (on special) to $32 for 30 cans.
Haven't bought it for a while now, but 12 months ago it was $40+ / carton, unless on special.
I'd say it went up by (at least) %25 in that time.

I wish beer was taxed @ the same rate as wine. We'd have a lot more choice, and it would cost a shitload less. Might make the expenditure on our home breweries a bit harder to justify though...

At a conservative estimate of 3% inflation, $32 from eight years ago is $39.35 in today's dollars. Given that inflation has been sitting a little above this over the last few years, it would seem that the price hasn't risen at all - in fact it may have even dropped slightly.

I think the government prefers to stifle a new business (Microbreweries) than destroy an existing one (Wineries).

What they'll end up doing is taxing wine as volumetric (ie. excise rather than the current 30% of price) and pocketing the extra money without decreasing the overall excise rate.

If the excise rate goes down at all I can't see it going down by more than $5 a case - depends on how many beer drinkers the government wants to pork barrel votes for

Don't tell Gillard about the CO2 in the beer, or we will get done for the cabon tax on it too

QldKev

Actually, I believe that the big breweries are in the "list" of top 100 "big dirty polluters" that are the target of the EMT/'Carbon Tax. There's a damn good reason they're not publicly releasing said list.

Was stuck are Adelaide airport last night. Now I know its an airport but coopers have a cool bar there and thought I relax with a few. Locally made and hardly premium coopers green was 8 bucks off tap for a 390ml glass. Beer was cheaper at the football!

Back