Beer prices . AFL crowd numbers down.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vini2ton

Reaction score
Went to the G today. Had 4 beers. 2 fatyaks 1 carlton draught and 1 peroni. $35.10 They didn,t have the decency to have a gun and wear a mask. Or should I get out more? My beers shit on that crap. Do you guys up north get fleeced that much at the rugby?

Adelaide oval general admission beer van next to me had Super shit and Heineken.

4 beers and didn't have a much more than a tenner in change. I think their paying for the new oval with beer prices.

It's outrageous, mate, no doubt. But it is what it is.

I rarely drink at games these days. Tuck a few away before the game, and a few after (usually to drown the sorrows).

Allegedly I've also taken spirits in, in a hip flask, and unopened mixers - mixed inside.

If I can find any half-decent beer at the footy, sadly I expect to get ripped off.
It's not exactly a cheap experience, especially if you choose to pay for any food and/or drink there.

The biggest kick-in-the-teeth was day games (maybe still is?), where they would list full strength Draught alongside Carlton mid - at the same price, but only serve mid-strength, due to it being a day game.

And yet normal strength pre-mixed spirits, wine and cider were all still available… huh? :blink:

I would have thought pre-mixed spirits would have caused more violent bogans than full strength beer.

The whole experience is too damn expensive. I do not get my moneys worth from the footy any more.

I think people are getting sick of being treated like cash cows.

You had Fat Yak at the footy? Half your luck.

The place to stop off at if you come up to Brisbane for the footy (AFL), or the cricket, is the Brisbane German Club. It's across the road from The Gabba and the beer is...... well...... beer, unlike the over priced waste water they serve up next door.

Make sure you give yourself enough time to hook into a serve of their famous pork knuckle too.

The good thing about regularly drinking my own cheap beer is that when I go to the footy I don't miss drinking.

In the early days of the Brisbane Bears we used to stand on the hill behind the goals drinking cans of full strength.

When we went to the State Of Origin games I am pretty sure we used to drink full strength cans there too. I remember that the toilets were always full so the back fence at Lang Park was a urinal. The cops behind the goals also got full cans thrown at them. No wonder you have to drink out of plastic cups these days. I was also at Seagulls Stadium when Wally Lewis got hit by a can of beer while running onto the ground.

Beer drinkers are their own worst enemy unfortunately.

Paid 7.50 per plastic cup of gold at the gabba. What a rip off. Spent most of the day at other bars around the ground. But what I did work out is you can order and pay for 2 beers and walk away with 4 in your tray.

Ahhh, corporatised catering. The trouble is your dollar isn't just going to the mob who you buy the beer from. Firstyly, they have to pay to get the cvatering rigths so naturally they are looking to recoup a portion of those costs along with normal operating costs such as wages etc.

THEN, a percentage is snaffled up by the mob who actually manage the venue.

THEN, a further percentage is snaffled by those who put funding into developing said venue, i.e., the lovely governing body of your fair state.

Its amazing how when drinking at the cricket somebody always seems to go out when you are lining up for a beer or visiting the amenities :) Also yes it is way too expensive the same as everything else at the footy.

Sadly I dont enjoy a beer at the footy for those reasons of taste and price. If the drinks were $2 each I might be okay with paying for a beer I dont enjoy. Families who take their kids to the footy get slugged the most.

Parking and fuel or public transport
Ticket
Records for the kids (if you can afford it)
Food and drinks
A few beers for the father of the family

It all adds up quick. I have an AFL membership and the schedule of some games has put me off from going. I dont see the reason for me to rush home from work to get ready for the game for public transport and all the reasons above when I can just turn on the telly at home and pour a few homebrews and eat dinner.

Starting to contemplate getting a VFL membership. Most games are Saturday at 2pm, closer drive to my home ground, cheap beer. Watch the big games on TV at home.

Bit sad when start enjoying less of something you love.

Mark^******* said:
Only beer at the NRL in Bris is XXXX Gold. Would pay for fat yak anyday
There is one bar at Lang Park open to the public which does serve beer other than the usual swill....it has packaged beers including Hein, J. Squire Pale Ale, XXXX Bitter, it's up the Northern end on the corner.

I end up missing so much of the game I don't bother. By the time I do a piss and order the beers and get back to the seat it's 15 mins later.

I live in Melbourne, my kids are 7 and 6 and I've never taken them to a game at the MCG. I did however, help to build a massive mansion for the guy who has the catering contract there. I might take them to see that instead.

It seems there is big money in cold pies and warm beer.

I went to the tigers game yesterday, as I do pretty much every time we play in Melbourne. If you kegs it's about as easy as filling up a soft drink bottle of the desired drop. Similar colour, ginger ale anybody?

Put it in a backpack with and ask for a plastic cup at the bar, which isn't normally a problem. 4 beers for 50c.

No lines to deal with. I'll spend roughly $1k on football by the end of the year. With memberships, afl and club social, reserving seats, and the odd dining package, Anzac Day and one other.

I'm not encouraging anybody to do anything here, but if you walk up to the bar and spend $35 on 4 beers, then that's up to you.

Vini2ton said:
Went to the G today. Had 4 beers. 2 fatyaks 1 carlton draught and 1 peroni. $35.10 They didn,t have the decency to have a gun and wear a mask. Or should I get out more? My beers shit on that crap. Do you guys up north get fleeced that much at the rugby?
They only sell XXXX Gold and Tooheys Mid at my local here, $7.50 each if im not mistaken for a small plastic cup.

431neb said:
I live in Melbourne, my kids are 7 and 6 and I've never taken them to a game at the MCG. I did however, help to build a massive mansion for the guy who has the catering contract there. I might take them to see that instead.

It seems there is big money in cold pies and warm beer.
What's the name and address? Time for a concerted campaign to bring decent beer in (or just back). Newcastle has gone back to the pack since the closure of Bluetongue brewery. Their black beer was quite good, especially as far as footy beer goes.

Tahoose said:
I went to the tigers game yesterday, as I do pretty much every time we play in Melbourne. If you kegs it's about as easy as filling up a soft drink bottle of the desired drop. Similar colour, ginger ale anybody?

Put it in a backpack with and ask for a plastic cup at the bar, which isn't normally a problem. 4 beers for 50c.

No lines to deal with. I'll spend roughly $1k on football by the end of the year. With memberships, afl and club social, reserving seats, and the odd dining package, Anzac Day and one other.

I'm not encouraging anybody to do anything here, but if you walk up to the bar and spend $35 on 4 beers, then that's up to you.
Wonder if that'd work with a growler... One of the KK ones could pass as a thermos. Do they check them?

Les the Weizguy said:
What's the name and address? Time for a concerted campaign to bring decent beer in (or just back). Newcastle has gone back to the pack since the closure of Bluetongue brewery. Their black beer was quite good, especially as far as footy beer goes.
No way I'm gonna drop that one Les. I would probably do the same in his shoes but I would spend a lot less on my mansion...

Latest posts

Back