Beer prices . AFL crowd numbers down.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vini2ton said:
Went to the G today. Had 4 beers. 2 fatyaks 1 carlton draught and 1 peroni. $35.10 They didn,t have the decency to have a gun and wear a mask. Or should I get out more? My beers shit on that crap. Do you guys up north get fleeced that much at the rugby?
At least at the SCG we can get full strength beer and good seats. Went to Etihad last month and was robbed for light beer. Seats were on the roof ( best we could get) and we overlooked hundreds (thousands o empty seats in better positions). AFL can stick it as much as I like my trips to Melbourne, I hate been treated like a sucker. Oh and Pure Blonde is a premium beer?????????............please!!

I have a projector and nice beer at home.

pedleyr said:
Wonder if that'd work with a growler... One of the KK ones could pass as a thermos. Do they check them?
Thermos are allowed so the oldies can have cups of tea, or milo.

Rules are, no cans, no glass. And yes bags get checked.

Tahoose said:
Thermos are allowed so the oldies can have cups of tea, or milo.

Rules are, no cans, no glass. And yes bags get checked.

One strategy is brown spirits in apple juice pop tops "for the kids" I'm told. I'm sure that's old news for the bag checkers.

*Putting on flame suit*

Why are you going to the AFL during the day/evening and spending your hard earned on dud beer when you could be sleeping in preparation to watch real football all night from ~2:00 - 10:00 am? :p

That said, I'm a fan of taking a thermos of *cough* red wine *cough*, I mean tea to the footy.

I can't believe I've never thought to take a growler before. Only concern would be that they check the contents of it. Just me and my 4 year old boy, doubt I'd arouse suspicion.

I'll give it a go and report back. Might take two.

By the end of the second though I reckon the biggest risk would be questions being asked while you're pouring out in the open. Being a North Melbourne supporter there isn't usually a lot of other crowd to hide behind.

Plenty of ways to skin a cat.

Surely one day your son will marvel at that when he was 4 he used to take in your beer in his little north backpack, footy under his arm.

All about thinking outside of the lines at the bar and the plastic cup.

pedleyr said:
I can't believe I've never thought to take a growler before. Only concern would be that they check the contents of it. Just me and my 4 year old boy, doubt I'd arouse suspicion.

I'll give it a go and report back. Might take two.

By the end of the second though I reckon the biggest risk would be questions being asked while you're pouring out in the open. Being a North Melbourne supporter there isn't usually a lot of other crowd to hide behind.
How is a growler distinctly different from a thermos?
Genuine question since I have never used one.

Just thinking an actual thermos, use the supplied cup and no one would question it.

Well my growlers are only different in that they're bigger. Well also a Thermos is generally a cylinder, my growlers aren't (look at the Keg King catalogue for a picture of them). But yeah to the untrained eye not a lot of difference.

And one of my fondest memories is of struggling with my best mate, aged about 8, with a ******* heavy bag full of booze that each of our dads were trying to smuggle into Calder Park drag races. Be a shame if I ended the cycle.

there are plenty of sneaky options for the spirit drinkers: http://klaq.com/best-products-for-sneaking-booze-into-sun-bowl-rated/

and:
drink tie.jpg

I never drink beer at the MCG,it's all overpriced crap midstrength lager in a plastic cup,what annoys me is if CUB pretty much have the market sown up at the G why can't they sell abbotsford invalid stout at the footy,it's a CUB beer afterall.I don't wanna drink lager at the footy in the middle of winter when i'm freezing my tits off .Yeah i know all the bogans wouldn't buy it and that's why they don't sell it,but it's a nice thought.Most bogans have probably never heard of it.

I think you may have missed the theme of the conversation.

Stout looks like coke?

My fiancee and I have been Hawks members for 6 and 7 years respectively. We're both 11 game Premium members, which is $498 a year. We might only get to 4 games a year, mostly because the fixture is usually awful, and when there are games we can actually get to outside of work (we live in Ballarat, so we train/bus it there 90 mins there and 90 mins back for $30 each) are usually against shitful teams or they're stinking replacement games where you get the best of the shit seats if you're lucky.

Most of the time, we sit in our seats trying to crane our necks around the idiots that can't work out it's best to return to and sit in your seat before the start of each quarter and then if we feel like a few beers or god forbid something to eat as well, it makes getting change out of a fiddy nigh on impossible.

We're seriously (and sadly) considering downgrading our memberships and just getting Fox Footy next year. I love going to the footy, but I don't like spending upwards of to attend a game for 2 hrs and struggle to see half of it and also enjoy myself.

Tbh if you only go that often you might aswell just spend $50 per seat and get great reserved seating on the occasion that you go.

You might enjoy it more?

I generally go to roughly 3 games per fortnight and most of the time have reasonable seats.

I'm totally with you re idiots who think half way through the quarter is a great time to get a round of beers.

I try to sit on the end of the row because there's no telling when my little bloke will want to get something or piss and I ******* hate having to walk past people during the match. But the downside is that everyone who gets up goes past me. Doesn't worry me to be honest, but it makes me wonder, if all you want to do is sink piss why bother even going to your seat?

If you must get on the piss at the footy buy a bottle of vodka, a syringe(with the needle) and couple of kg of oranges.Inject the fruit the day before and refrigerate. Be pissed as 10 squirrels by the end of the game . I'd rather stay home with good beer and and good friends and watch it on the telly and avoid the vodka filled fuckwits, but everyone to there own.

wereprawn said:
If you must get on the piss at the footy buy a bottle of vodka, a syringe(with the needle) and couple of kg of oranges.Inject the fruit the day before and refrigerate. Be pissed as 10 squirrels by the end of the game . I'd rather stay home with good beer and and good friends and watch it on the telly and avoid the vodka filled fuckwits, but everyone to there own.
Or just take a flask.

Last test match at the Gabba, I took in a couple of alcoholic ginger beers that I had bottled in a couple of soft drink bottles (the 1.25L ones). On the way in, they made me tip the contents out of my half drunk bottle of water... but said nothing about the ginger beer.

Latest posts

Back