Beer Keg Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domonsura

Beer stuff maker
Reaction score
Well........here's the story. I have a full keg of a dry stoutish porterish type dark Ale that I brewed trying to change a recipe slightly to suit my wife's taste. She tried a previous brew that had turned out quite well but reckoned it had a little too much burnt coffee flavour. So I substituted Pale choc malt for the black malt in the previous recipe hoping it would lessen the burnt coffee, and the 'burnt' flavour has gone, but the coffee is more pronounced then the previous brew, probably due to losing some of the balance thay I reckon the more bitter burnt flavour provided.
Upshot is that I'm not a huge dark beer fan, and the missus doesn't want to drink it, so right now it's essentially 'in the way' as there are more brews coming up behind it and no prospect of me drinking it all. Is anyone in Adelaide interested in swapping a keg of anything All Grain - Pale Ale or Lager or Wheat or something more to my taste for a keg of this one? It's around the 6% abv/ 30ish IBU mark (according to the numbers anyway), but because Danstar Nottingham was used it's quite dry and not much in the way of hop aroma, and seemingly muted bitterness. Others have commented that the beer doesn't seem that bitter.

Recipe is below for those who want a look at the numbers etc.. And please notice I said SWAP (ie: not sell) and AG only, no disrespect to Extract/Partial'ers intended but that's the way it is. (I'm not going to start that argument <_< )

Anyone interested? ....PM me if you are....

Chocolate Soldier

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

13-C Stout, Oatmeal Stout

Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.065
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 48
Min Clr: 43 Max Clr: 118 Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 45.00 Wort Size (L): 45.00
Total Grain (kg): 10.30
Anticipated OG: 1.057 Plato: 14.15
Anticipated EBC: 30.5
Anticipated IBU: 36.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 52.94 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.049 SG 12.11 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Tinseth
Tinseth Concentration Factor: 1.30

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
87.4 9.00 kg. Barrett Burston Ale 1.038 4
1.9 0.20 kg. Wey Melanoidin Malt 1.033 69
1.9 0.20 kg. Wey Carapils 1.035 20
3.9 0.40 kg. JWM Amber Malt Australia 1.038 45
4.9 0.50 kg. Bairds Pale Chocolate Malt UK 1.033 500

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40.00 g. Fuggle Whole 5.00 10.8 60 min.
40.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 10.3 60 min.
10.00 g. NZ Green Bullet Whole 13.60 7.3 60 min.
20.00 g. Fuggle Whole 4.75 3.9 30 min.
20.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 3.9 30 min.
20.00 g. NZ B-Saaz Flowers 2007 Whole 6.80 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

Danstar Nottingham

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 10.30
Water Qts: 36.36 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 34.41 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 3.34 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 66 Time: 70
Mash-out Rest Temp : 75 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 75 Time: 30

Total Mash Volume L: 41.28 - Dough-In Infusion Only

If I was closer Dom I would!

I've been thinking about this brew and one I smelt (was driving :( ) at the Sunshine Coast Brewery today (Ross, Batz & Winkle were testing in earnest)

Coffee/Burnt/Smoked are my faves. Can't do them In a cider I don't think!

InCider.

Oh well.....going to have to bottle it I suppose......I hate bottling. What with the bottles and the cleaning and the cleaning and the opening and all that.......omg what a drama. Tempting to tip it out just so I don't have to bottle it. :wacko:

OK........I will revise this then.......if someone wants to come around with some bottles and bottle it, they can have the beer for NOTHING. I just want the kegs empty. In total there is probably nearly 30 litres.
So there it is. FREE BEER. Just come and get it out of my kegs. No payment, compensation, swap or any of that. Come and take it away.

If no-one wants it by the end of the long weekend, I'm going to bottle half a dozen for posterity, and tip the rest. :eek: :excl:

if it wasn't a dark beer, i'd be around there now drinking it!

:lol: if it wasn't a dark beer, this thread wouldn't exist........

the conversation with Mrs Dom went -

me-"Well, if you don't think you like that beer, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it"

her - "Well why did you brew it in the first place? You don't like dark beers."

me - *takes deep breath* "I brewed it for you. Because I brewed the last dark beer for you, remember?. And you said you would enjoy it more if there was less burnt coffee bitterness and it was a bit smoother in taste and slightly less sweet. Remember?"

her - "Oh. Yeah, well this one tastes really strongly of coffee. I hate coffee. You know that."

me - "No problem. Brew your own beer."

And now she is. :D

:lol: if it wasn't a dark beer, this thread wouldn't exist........

the conversation with Mrs Dom went -

me-"Well, if you don't think you like that beer, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it"

her - "Well why did you brew it in the first place? You don't like dark beers."

me - *takes deep breath* "I brewed it for you. Because I brewed the last dark beer for you, remember?. And you said you would enjoy it more if there was less burnt coffee bitterness and it was a bit smoother in taste and slightly less sweet. Remember?"

her - "Oh. Yeah, well this one tastes really strongly of coffee. I hate coffee. You know that."

me - "No problem. Brew your own beer."

And now she is. :D

Kegging another batch of the golden ale i brought along to the case swap and an LCPA ish APA (as long as i get a pint or 2 of the LCPA clone to see how close i got. Happy to swap one of those. They are currently dry hopping in secondary but was planning on kegging them in the next day or so.

A little age will mellow out that coffee.

Kegging another batch of the golden ale i brought along to the case swap and an LCPA ish APA (as long as i get a pint or 2 of the LCPA clone to see how close i got. Happy to swap one of those. They are currently dry hopping in secondary but was planning on kegging them in the next day or so.

HELL YES!!!! That golden ale was awesome! :D

OK........I will revise this then.......if someone wants to come around with some bottles and bottle it, they can have the beer for NOTHING. I just want the kegs empty. In total there is probably nearly 30 litres.
So there it is. FREE BEER. Just come and get it out of my kegs.

Kegging another batch of the golden ale i brought along to the case swap and an LCPA ish APA (as long as i get a pint or 2 of the LCPA clone to see how close i got. Happy to swap one of those.

Don't know about you blokes but don't you get get that warm fuzzy feeling when you know that one man's problem can be solved by an act of dead set classy mateship from a fellow brewing brother. Makes ayou proud to be Australian. Makes me wish I was in Adelaide now .... :rolleyes:

Makes you proud to have a public holiday on Monday for Australia Day even though it was on Saturday !!!!!

Latest posts

Back