Beer fermenting in fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtopbeer

Reaction score
Hey guys just a question where if it's hot (humid) weather can I put my fermenter in my beer fridge and turn down the temp control and set it to the right fermenting temp?? All I have is my fermenters wrapped in cold towels in a dark room and sometimes when I don't need the fan i put it directly Infront of them. In the room my temp went up to 24 degrees and needs to be at 22 degrees! Your help would much appreciated. Cheers!!

If your fridge can be at the temp you want your beer to be, of course you can put your fermenter in it.

Cheers mate I was just worried it might be colder then usual and stuff up the fermenting process. Thanks again!!

You need to be able to control the temperature of you fridge. Most fridges, even if you turn them to "least cool" it will be still too cold for the yeast you are using. Most people that have fridges to ferment in use a STC1000 or similar to control the fridge temp.

brewtopbeer said:
Cheers mate I was just worried it might be colder then usual and stuff up the fermenting process. Thanks again!!
It probably will if it works anything like a normal fridge. Measure the temp at the hottest setting and see.

More than possible you could start a lager in it though. The right yeast can ferment between 4-7 deg. It will take a while though.

I just checked my fridge, it only has minimum and maximum on it so I can't control the temperature, I thought it was digital at the back of my fridge but it's all good I will have to try and keep the wet towels and the fan on both of my fermenters.

Cheers manticle!! I made a mistake thinking my fridge had a digital reading. I'm brewing 2 IPAs using nottingham yeast!!

There are ways detailed on here using a system of frozen water bottles and a bath if you wanna go ghetto style till you get a fridge going

No worries I was actually thinking about that or putting my fermenters back in the bath filled with water..

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421060178.033929.jpg hey guys this is both fermenters underneath this sheet wrapped in wet towels to keep the cool in.

using a timer will work if you have one, set to come on for 1/2 hour every couple of hours...fiddle to get the temp right. it works and costs nothing if you have one lying about.

You can't go past a STC1000, for under $40 you can bung one up and get complete control over temps....single best beer investment you will ever make.
There are even cheap ready made options on that internet selling and bidding site.

Hey yum beer I havnt got one but I will be having a look for sure. I went on YouTube to have a look how they work so it is definitely on the cards. Cheers for the advice and the best one to get. Cheers

brewtopbeer said:
Cheers Scooby. Are they just as reliable??
I use one of those very same thermostats on my fridge and it's pretty decent. From checking the temps with a good thermometer I'd say it's accurate to +/-1 degree. I'm a little wary of it safety-wise though, seeing as it is a cheapo Chinese gadget. I think there are better quality thermostats about, but I don't have anything to recommend...

I've.had one scence I started.
18 months it hasn't missed a beat.
I've a freezer my keg fridge and a second fridge running on these.
Everything is made in China now so don't be scared about that.
I run my fermenting fridge on a keg king temp controler, If I had my time again I wouldn't have bought it.
This was my first piece of kit.
Everyone said the first thing you need is temp control.
They are spot on.

This isn't entirely on topic but rather than start a new thread I'll just ask in here first:

When controlling fermentation temperature (as I currently am in a fridge set to 18c), is it particularly important to maintain such a temp for the duration of time in fermenter (ie 2-3 weeks)? I've seen some people do, but also others mention that after the first few days, when the bulk of fermentation is complete, it doesn't make much of a difference to take it out and let it hit ambient temperature for the rest of conditioning.

Reason I ask is I only have room for one in the fridge and would like to have multiple batches going at once.

Latest posts

Back