Beer fermenting in fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MPP said:
This isn't entirely on topic but rather than start a new thread I'll just ask in here first:

When controlling fermentation temperature (as I currently am in a fridge set to 18c), is it particularly important to maintain such a temp for the duration of time in fermenter (ie 2-3 weeks)? I've seen some people do, but also others mention that after the first few days, when the bulk of fermentation is complete, it doesn't make much of a difference to take it out and let it hit ambient temperature for the rest of conditioning.

Reason I ask is I only have room for one in the fridge and would like to have multiple batches going at once.
Raising the temperature at the end of a ferment it so that the yeast eat up diacetyl which causes a buttery type off flavour in the beer. The lower temperatures are important in the 1st 4 or so days of the ferment.

I do a manual temp. control as I don't have an STC 1000 yet. .... My next purchase...... I plug the fridge in sporadically and can keep the temps pretty stable depending on ambient. I put a heap of brews down in my holiday periods and tend to be around to check.

I also found that if I pitch warm and have the FV in the fridge already cooling, I can get the temp down to under 20 quite quickly (and this morning my yeast US05 which was pitched at 28 last night was charging along and my stick on thermometer was at 14 deg with the ferment going full steam). I try to keep the thermometer strip indicating 16 degrees as I figure the middle of the ferment is warmer than the thermometer on the plastic on the outside of the FV. I found out about the pitch warm by accident, poor timing on yeast re-hydration etc etc.... but getting the temp down quickly has resulted in fast starting ferments without off flavours. And I am not embarrassed to share my beer with friends. ..... I do kits and bits and extract brews.....

Cool, love all this not certified electrical stuff that is being sold. Be sure to un plug and destry after your house has burnt down.

I get that the first 4 days are so are the most important with regards to maintaining a low temp, but theoretically how soon after that could one take it out and let it rise to ambient temperature with little to no difference in taste?

MPP said:
I get that the first 4 days are so are the most important with regards to maintaining a low temp, but theoretically how soon after that could one take it out and let it rise to ambient temperature with little to no difference in taste?
You could do it as soon as the yeast starts to drop out as fermentation is slowing..... I noticed around 5 days that the cloudiness due to the yeast would start to drop out, I notice a layer effect as the ferment approaches the end. I guess you could take it out then. But it would depend on ambient temps too.... wouldn't be to keen to let a brew drift into the 30 to 40 degree range.

I used a 2 litre bottle of ice in my fridge for quite a while until I went with a STC-1000. Had one in the fridge during the day and at night freezing in the freezer and would change it as I went and came back from work.

As I have said in the last messages I don't have a stc 1000 but I had to put my fermenters back in cold water overnight and I checked this morning and it was back down to 22 degrees, will I get a off taste in my beer having it sitting at 24 degrees??? It has been 5 days now and my airlocks have stopped bubbling on both fermenters so my gravity check says it's ready to bottle so if it's the same tomorrow I will bottle on Friday. I just want to know if I will have a off tasting beer! Cheers

Back