Beer Engine Parts And Accessories

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim

Retro Ghetto Meister
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I just picked up/bought two beer engines which have just been taken off the bar at The Gunmakers . Thanks to Jeff - aka stonch.blogspot.com, who is the landlord there.

I was just wondering what you guys do so that you can use them with Corny kegs. I have searched through the archives and realise I need a cask breather/aspirator, a flow valve or one way valve and of course the controversial sparkler!

Just wanted to know how the real ale guys run their setups and where they got their parts from. I think I will also buy a couple of seal kits as well.

Tim

Don't suppose you want to sell one of the pumps...

If so - let em know and the price.

Thanks

Hi Guys,
I just picked up/bought two beer engines which have just been taken off the bar at The Gunmakers . Thanks to Jeff - aka stonch.blogspot.com, who is the landlord there.

I was just wondering what you guys do so that you can use them with Corny kegs. I have searched through the archives and realise I need a cask breather/aspirator, a flow valve or one way valve and of course the controversial sparkler!

Just wanted to know how the real ale guys run their setups and where they got their parts from. I think I will also buy a couple of seal kits as well.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I searched high and low for parts for my very old model pump, finally was pointed to Alistair here atCentriflow services . He was very helpful and had plenty of answers to all my questions, he sells a great range of parts to.

Andrew

Hi Tim,

I searched high and low for parts for my very old model pump, finally was pointed to Alistair here atCentriflow services . He was very helpful and had plenty of answers to all my questions, he sells a great range of parts to.

Andrew

That was possibly me you got that info from.

I purchased an aspirator from Alistair and can also vouch for how helpful he was. They also should carry sparklers (if you really need one) .

Tim,
As you are in the UK there is a Homebrew Forum operating where you should get good advice on connecting Corny's to a beer engine with parts available in the UK.

It is a bit of a business using the method common here in Australia. It involves obtaining a CPC Bulkhead fitting and drilling a 30mm hole in the lid of the Corny. There are threads in AHB showing details.

Regards

Graeme

Hi Guys,

Tim

Had a beer pump brought back from the UK recently. I am not sure on the correct way to set it up but all I did was to put a liquid disconnect on the suction hose of the pump and then connected to an already carbed up keg. I released the head pressure in the keg and then pulled the beer through, worked great. Only thing you need to watch is oxidising of the beer. My pump will only be used on special occasions where I know the whole keg will be consumed. Aspirators are the way to go if you permanently want to have it in use. Do your pumps have the two pipes on the back for circulating chilled water or brine.

BYB

BYB

That was possibly me you got that info from.

I purchased an aspirator from Alistair and can also vouch for how helpful he was. They also should carry sparklers (if you really need one) .

Tim,
As you are in the UK there is a Homebrew Forum operating where you should get good advice on connecting Corny's to a beer engine with parts available in the UK.

It is a bit of a business using the method common here in Australia. It involves obtaining a CPC Bulkhead fitting and drilling a 30mm hole in the lid of the Corny. There are threads in AHB showing details.

Regards

Graeme

Yes I believe it was Graeme, thanks for the tip.

I think this might be the british forum you refer to Jims Beer kit

Great site with heaps of info.

Andrew

Thanks for the info guys.

GMK - I plan to hang onto both of these when I move back to Aus, but if I get my hand on any more I will give you first dibs on one. I'd be open to swapping for a regular font/tap setup as well.

I think I might just run a secondary regulator (cheap air reg) between my primary reg and the 'real ale' kegs. That way I can adjust the pressure and get the system balance at about 1.5 volumes. You can get check valves such as this which only let liquid through under vacuum ie when the beer is pulled rather than pushed. If I put one of these between the keg and the pump I should be ok.

Anyhow, last night when I got them home I gave them a quick clean up in the bath. They had a lot of syrup like residue from beer spillage over the years. Over the weekend I will strip them and give them a thorough cleaning before packing them away for transportation.

I'll suss out the links provided and do a ring about and find out some more info. I will post back when I know what i need.

Tim

BYB - yes my the engines in my pumps are jacketed and one still has the John Guest fittings attached still. How effective are these at cooling the beer? If i leave the beer outside teh fridge will the water jacketing bring it down to celler temps? or should I just keep the kegs in the fridge and allow the beer to warm up on its journey to the glass?

BYB - yes my the engines in my pumps are jacketed and one still has the John Guest fittings attached still. How effective are these at cooling the beer? If i leave the beer outside teh fridge will the water jacketing bring it down to celler temps? or should I just keep the kegs in the fridge and allow the beer to warm up on its journey to the glass?

I am not sure how effective the jacket is, like yours mine still also had the john guest fittings attached. I will be pulling my beer from a chilled keg set-up. So the using the chilling jackets should not be an issue for me.

BYB

I am not sure how effective the jacket is, like yours mine still also had the john guest fittings attached. I will be pulling my beer from a chilled keg set-up. So the using the chilling jackets should not be an issue for me.

BYB

What beer will we be pulling thru this at the case swap?

Something english, malty and ... :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Happy to whip up another Landlord!

Thanks for the info guys.

GMK - I plan to hang onto both of these when I move back to Aus, but if I get my hand on any more I will give you first dibs on one. I'd be open to swapping for a regular font/tap setup as well.

I think I might just run a secondary regulator (cheap air reg) between my primary reg and the 'real ale' kegs. That way I can adjust the pressure and get the system balance at about 1.5 volumes. You can get check valves such as this which only let liquid through under vacuum ie when the beer is pulled rather than pushed. If I put one of these between the keg and the pump I should be ok.

Anyhow, last night when I got them home I gave them a quick clean up in the bath. They had a lot of syrup like residue from beer spillage over the years. Over the weekend I will strip them and give them a thorough cleaning before packing them away for transportation.

I'll suss out the links provided and do a ring about and find out some more info. I will post back when I know what i need.

Tim

This is exactly what I'll be doing with my beer engines. Providing some pressure in the keg will make pulling the beer easier.

One of my engines has the cooling sleeve while the other doesn't. I'm not sure whether I'll be placing the keg outside so it's sitting at ambient and then using the cooling sleeve to bring it down to 10-12C or put keg in fridge, not use the sleeve and let the beer warm up as it's pulled through the engine. Will probably use the fridge to start with and see how it's going.

Make sure to keep an eye out on ebay.co.uk as beer engines pop up quite a lot
http://business.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/Beer...tZ67141?_npmv=3
http://collectables.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/...0QQ_sacatZ72042

Back