Porter Lancastrian beer engine conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krustycrackers

Reaction score
Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster.

I have for a long time been dreaming about owning a beer engine and setting up a cask beer system at home but funds have always gotten in the way. I was recently given what I originally thought was a beer engine, however after pulling it apart and inspecting it closer it appears to be a keg system faucet with a hydraulic cylinder that simulates the feel of "pulling" a beer while a second smaller valve is opened allowing beer to flow from the keg.

I have been hoping to replace the hydraulic cylinder with a 1/4 or 1/2 pint cylinder to convert it to proper beer engine but I have had bugger all luck finding anything at all so I was hoping one of the many knowledgable members of the forums would be able to help me out.

Thanks guys.

Sorry mate..aint good.. sourcing engine pumps is EXPENSIVE and you are better off getting a whole new pump due to large import costs from the UK as you can NOT get them local at a descent cost.

You are better off buying a second hand beer engine that has been refurbished. I have experienced this. For every pump you get in second hand from overseas you can be guaranteed that every 3rd one is faulty and you will lose a sh*t load of cash or you will need to completely rebuild it which will cost you way more unless you have connections in the industry that can laser cut, have access to high end tooling equipment.

1/2 pint pulls are rare and will cost you a heap of cash and are generally not worth the extra money.

Not being bias, but whats your budget? I have a few I am selling atm.. (I have now 7 beer pumps- as I love restoring them) depends if it fits with your budget. PM me if you wish or I am happy to assist if needed with your project. Depends where you live too in how I can assist a newbie.

I have seen 3 or 4 pretty good looking engines go for 200-250 au over the last month from the UK. This price included shipping. I reckon if you keep an eye out on ebay you can get a decent one for 1/2 what you pay here. But i understand the cash situation. They are always available when you dont have the cash.

krustycrackers said:
Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster.

I have for a long time been dreaming about owning a beer engine and setting up a cask beer system at home but funds have always gotten in the way. I was recently given what I originally thought was a beer engine, however after pulling it apart and inspecting it closer it appears to be a keg system faucet with a hydraulic cylinder that simulates the feel of "pulling" a beer while a second smaller valve is opened allowing beer to flow from the keg.

I have been hoping to replace the hydraulic cylinder with a 1/4 or 1/2 pint cylinder to convert it to proper beer engine but I have had bugger all luck finding anything at all so I was hoping one of the many knowledgable members of the forums would be able to help me out.

Thanks guys.
Hi mate, I doubt what you have is a keg system faucet made to look and feel like a cask engine. CAMRA would surely burn down any pub that tried to pass off keg as cask ale. :p

Some UK pubs do use hand pull pumps with electric pumps for cask ale, I think it’s more likely what your pump is. Does yours have an electric pump? If not you may just need to get one for it and you’ll have a working cask ale pump, albeit a modern version.

If you want a traditional mechanical pump I would imagine it would be easier and cheaper to buy one complete rather than try to convert what you have.

If you do decide to get a traditional engine or convert the one you have, I would go for a ¼ rather than ½ pint pull unless it has a glycol jacket. Not all engines do especially older models so the ¼ or ½ pint of beer inside the pump cylinder and any beer line outside your cellar or fridge warms up to ambient.

The pump you have may be better in that respect as I would guess it only has a beer line and small pump so less beer outside the fridge at ambient.[SIZE=11pt] I haven’t examined one of the modern electric engines though only seen them used in pubs. Can you post pictures of yours?[/SIZE]

Back