Bb Caramalt Vs Carared

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rough60

Reaction score
Just after some info/opinions from anyone who has used both.
Cheers.

IMO it depends on what beer you're making, I tend to use the caramalt in amber ales and only used carared once a fair while ago in a poor attempt at a scotch ale

Is there a recipe or style you want or just a "in general question"? I don't know about using both in the one recipe if that's what your after? Not to sure what your asking?

i could chomp on uncracked carared anyday of the week. best.

Any one had any success with making a red lager - something along the lines of the red lager on tap at the Macquarie Hotel?

I picked up a kilo of carared - but can't find any definative re: % to get a red colour - weyermanns says can be used up to 25% - which I though would have been a bit much for a crystal malt

Many people had experience with this malt?

Cheers

Edit: Correct original 40% to 25% - Thanks Chappo

Yep Rev

EBC: 40 - 50 (Steep):
Gorgeous crystal malt, full body and aroma, deep red colour.
Red ales and lagers, Scottish ales, Bocks, Alts...
Current batch WM61
EBC 43.0
Caramelisation 90%
Complete specs available on request

ProductEBCLovibondUseRateResultCARARED40 - 5015.6 -19.3
  • Red Ale
  • Red Lager
  • Scottish Ale
  • Amber Wheat
  • Bock Beer
  • Brown Ale
  • Alt Beer
up to
25 %
  • fuller body
  • improved malt aroma>
  • deep saturated color
  • red color

I was just after a light crystal and would preffer to buy Aussie, but if the carared is much better I'd get that.
I might just get a kg of each and do a side by side test.

i've read here that you get more red colour with some black malts too, apparently carared isnt all its cracked up to be (punski) when it comes to getting the red hue in a beer.

i've read here that you get more red colour with some black malts too, apparently carared isnt all its cracked up to be (punski) when it comes to getting the red hue in a beer.

They use roast barley in irish reds..

Carared does give a very rich malt flavour. I used 500g in one brew and that was way too much

Any one had any success with making a red lager - something along the lines of the red lager on tap at the Macquarie Hotel?

I picked up a kilo of carared - but can't find any definative re: % to get a red colour - weyermanns says can be used up to 40% - which I though would have been a bit much for a crystal malt

Many people had experience with this malt?

Cheers
:icon_offtopic: I was thinking/talking about this just yesterday. Interestingly enough Weyermann recipe for a Red lager has no carared. It's mainly Vienna plus a big whack of melanoidin and a small amount of caramunich. I would like to give it a go but I don't have enough melanoidin.

Carared for ales (it is a crystal malt) and Melanoidin for lagers. Both will impart a red hue but different flavours

Wes

Carared does give a very rich malt flavour. I used 500g in one brew and that was way too much

Yup. I've been getting carared in 500g packs, on to my second one. The malt aroma knocks you for six when you open the pack. By comarison the 'ordinary' crystal smells like something you would feed the guinea pigs on. I've been combining it 250g / 250g with dark crystal and getting a nice amber colour (American Amber and Ruddles County style so far).

I agree with buying Aussie how, and migrating much of my brewing to BB and to local crystal, and POR for my lagerales but will buy carared as a luxury item for sure. In fact I have a hunch, based on experience so far, that it will hopefully lift the BB to give UK Bitters on a smilar level to MO based brews without shopping overseas and racking up all those malt miles. Heres hoping :rolleyes:

Edit: oh and I'm also not going to give up my NZ hops, lovely lovely NZ hops. Cheers Reviled :D

Carared for ales (it is a crystal malt) and Melanoidin for lagers. Both will impart a red hue but different flavours

Carared or all Cara malts are a different beast to Melanoiden, Amber, toated malts.

Caras are what they are, caramel malts. Melanoiden, amber etc are kilned malts like Munich or Vienna and are used for malt aromatics and malt flavour (bready) not Sweetness. It cannot be used in the same contest as Munich or Vienna like a base as i believe they cannot convert themselves.

Melanoiden can be used in ales, i dont know why you would reserve it for just lagers. I used a small portion in an irish red in conjunction with carared that turned out well. You could taste the differences between the two.

Melanoiden is a fair sub for malts like amber malt and the notorious US victory malt. Obviously its not the same as those malts but it gives the needed 'toast/baking bread' quality.

I used 250g Carared in an Irish Red Ale and the result was a nice red colour without going too dark.

Ive also used 100g Caraaroma in a Porter and was surprised at the ruby red hue that could be seen in the blackness.

Therein endeth my experience with these :)

Cheers,
Jake

Carared or all Cara malts are a different beast to Melanoiden, Amber, toated malts.

Caras are what they are, caramel malts. Melanoiden, amber etc are kilned malts like Munich or Vienna and are used for malt aromatics and malt flavour (bready) not Sweetness. It cannot be used in the same contest as Munich or Vienna like a base as i believe they cannot convert themselves.

Melanoiden can be used in ales, i dont know why you would reserve it for just lagers. I used a small portion in an irish red in conjunction with carared that turned out well. You could taste the differences between the two.

Melanoiden is a fair sub for malts like amber malt and the notorious US victory malt. Obviously its not the same as those malts but it gives the needed 'toast/baking bread' quality.

Hey Fourstar I can't speak for Wes personally but I think you'll find he knows kinda knows all that. He was the first person to import the stuff into the country about 8 years ago. :)

Some people don't need to be taught how to suck eggs. ;)

Warren -

+1 I brewed a red ale that I really enjoyed. It had a beautiful flavour and aroma but even with 500g of carared, 200g caraaroma and 50g roasted barley malt (for a slight roasty dryness) it still ended up more of an amberish brown.
But, like I said, still areally nice drop :chug:
Cheers!
Jono.

Hey Fourstar I can't speak for Wes personally but I think you'll find he knows kinda knows all that. He was the first person to import the stuff into the country about 8 years ago. :)
Some people don't need to be taught how to suck eggs. ;)
Warren -

I didnt mean for the post to sounds like i was attacking Wes, i was elaborating on what he said as it was quite brief. I just wanted to make sure melanoiden didnt need to be reserved for only lagers. As this is quite a newbie based thread :)

Latest posts

Back