Bayside Brewers Oktoberfest - Results

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etbandit

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Many thanks to all the judges, stewards and helpers for making this years Oktoberfest yet another success.

Thank you to all entrants for participating and congratulations to all place getters. Below is a summary of results from Saturdays competition.

Full results as well as trophies, prizes and score sheets will be posted shortly.

Many thanks to all our sponsors, Hinkinbotham Winery for hosting and supporting this event, as well as keg King, Grain & Grape, One Stop Bar Shop, Bintani, Magick Brew, BeerSmith and Vicbrew for their generous prizes. Your support of homebrewing is muchly appreciated.

Cheers
Chan

RESULTS SUMMARY: 86 total entries
Best Beer. Marzen-oktoberfest Geoff Daly Westgate
Best Brewer. Geoff Daly Westgate
Best novice: Pending

Wheat:
1st Hefeweizen Bryce Van Denderen Bayside
2nd Hefeweizen Daniel Dainton Inner Circle Brewers
3rd Dunkelweizen Daniel Eate Bayside Brewers

Pale Lagers
1st Dortmunder export. John Killmister Bayside
2nd German Pils Andrew Clark Bayside
3rd Kolsch Matt Daniel Melb Brewers

Dark Lager
1st Marzen-Oktoberfest. Geoff Daly Westgate
2nd Munich Dunkel. Richard Whitebrook. Melb brewers
3rd Vienna Lager Jonathon Finney Bayside

Bocks
1st Trad bock Neil Kay Worthogs
2nd Trad bock Jonathon finney bayside
3rd Maibock Barry roberts bayside

Peoples Choice Award (Festival Day)
1st DarkLager Schwarzbier Bryce Van Denderen
2nd Wheat Dunkel Weizen Daniel Eate
3rd Wheat Hefeweizen Shaun Raymer

well done lads n lasses, congratulations all. C u there next year. @father jack.. did your octoberfest beer score well elsewhere?

well done lads n lasses, congratulations all. C u there next year. @father jack.. did your octoberfest beer score well elsewhere?

Lol, it raises the merits of scatter gunning, 77/150 from memory in Vicbrew although I did feel that was a bit harsh, was a really nice beer other than low level diacetyl.
Only put it in to support the comp wasnt expecting anything out of it after the vicbrew spanking.
Thanks to all the judges & stewards, was up fishing in Eildon so didnt make it down. I'll make an extra effort next year to get there. Just had plans for Monday at Jamieson that fell through & was too late to cancel the trip as only found out Friday & a mate was bringing a boat. 1st time to score with a lager, so really happy with that, I'll have to make a few pale lagers when I get the brew shed up & running. I havent brewed since Apr/May I'm ******* dying of thirst here, I would sell my body for a HB but I reckon it probably wouldnt earn me a K&K

Father Jack...
Congrats Bloke...
Yet another Westgater pulls a blinder with a beer !!
Anyone , thinking of joining a winning brew club , email me about Westgate's Details !
Thanks to Bayside for running another cracking competition.
Cheers
Ferg

Count the number of placing for each club, first, Ferg :lol:

He's just jealous that Bayside are the club to beat ATM, how does tha saying go, jealousy the highest form of flattery or something along those lines.

Great to see some healthy competition ATM, vicbrew was a very close run between 3 clubs, will be good to see all the newer clubs as they get a chance to develop & build their numbers, given the big entriy increases in some of the states this year, homebrewing is the winner, it;s just getting bigger & bigger, soon I will have neighbours who brew! excellent :super:

Nice work Geoff.

You got an underground carpark for all these trophies you keep winning?

Nice work Geoff.

You got an underground carpark for all these trophies you keep winning?

Lol Manticle, I've thought for a while, that the engraved glasses should only be used as 1st prizes, makes them a little more valued, I liked the plaques & medals that beerfest & stout extravaganza did.
Have a mate (not in the club) who's best result was 4th (by 1/2 a point), to prod him along a bit, I keep telling him I'll need to use his trophy cabinet soon.
Bloody big haul for just one beer, the god's must have pissed in the fermenter. that's nearly a years worth of supplies, thanks to organisers & sponsors too, I fell really jammy :)

5kg of grain, wooot! Can make half a beer :) Well assuming its not choc malt or something...

Best Novice has been confirmed.

Congratulations, Daniel Eate from Bayside Brewers.
:icon_chickcheers:

PS: Full results will we be up by Monday.

5kg of grain, wooot! Can make half a beer :) Well assuming its not choc malt or something...

The prizes were listed on the entry form, it appears a little petty to moan, most of the other comps have comparable prizes & Vicbrew & AABC only does trophies. spend your 5kg wisely & you might get another prize out of the produce & have perpetually free beer. The prizes are just an added bonus & by far the least important part of a comp.
IMO the comps are for educating newcomers & oldtimers alike as well as a great social catch up, even the club rivalry is by far a secondary function, it's all about learning & experiencing.

Sorry if you find my response abrasive, it isnt my intention, just tricky to word things tactfully. Good luck with your brewing & competing.

Well done to Daniel Eate on Best Novice

Hi folks,

Attached is the full results from Bayside Brewers 2011 Oktoberfest. Congrats again to all the place getters and many thanks to everyone who helped make this years event (both comp and festival day) the biggest yet.

We will try and get the scoresheets and prizes to you asap.

Cheers
Chan
View attachment 2011OktoberfestFullResults.pdf

Edit: Amendments to peoples choice award: John Killmister 7th.

I'm a bit confused. My beer and the guy who came just above me got 33.7 points in dark lager category.

Somehow we both sit above two other brewers who scored 36 and another who scored 34.

Is this an error with the placings or the scoring?

I'm a bit confused. My beer and the guy who came just above me got 33.7 points in dark lager category.

Somehow we both sit above two other brewers who scored 36 and another who scored 34.

Is this an error with the placings or the scoring?

Thanks for picking that up Manticle. That's a positioning error. You're actually placed lower down, and not 11th. The points are the true indicator of position. I'll have to ammend that.

Cheers.

Thanks for picking that up Manticle. That's a positioning error. You're actually placed lower down, and not 11th. The points are the true indicator of position. I'll have to ammend that.

Cheers.

Heres the updated results. Changes only affect Cat. 3 Dark Lagers. Rearrangement of positions 11 to 15 to reflect their actual positions based on score.

View attachment 2011OktoberfestFullResults.pdf

Latest posts

Back