Bayside Brewer's Oktoberfest Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mialee

Reaction score
banner2.jpg
Oktoberfest is our annual homebrewed beer competition organised and run by the Bayside Brewers.
Entries are open for all German style beers in the wheat, pale larger, dark larger and bock categories.
Entries are open to all Victorian and interstate independent and club-affiliated amateur brewers.
The attached link is your entry form and the closing date is Saturday 1st of October.
Entry Form / Details
Information about our public festival on Sunday 9th October will be post soon.

Hi All,

This is a call for judges for the Bayside Oktoberfest Homebrew Competition.

When: Saturday 8th October (Arrive 10.30am for a 11am start)
Where: Hickinbotham Winery 194 Nepean Highway, Dromana VIC 3936
The competition is BJCP registered and a sausage sizzle will follow after judging.

Categories include: Wheat, Pale Lager, Dark Lager and Bocks.

If you are interested in judging, please pm myself or email [email protected]

Also, a reminder that entries for the comp are due Saturday 1st Oct (12pm) at all drop off venues. Competition is open to all states.

See above post for entry forms and details

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Hi All,

Just a reminder that entries for the comp are due next Saturday 1st Oct (12pm) at all drop off venues.

See above post for entry forms and details

Cheers

Quick question - sorry if I've missed it.

I see that altbier slots into dark lager but in the aabce there is a distinction between Dusseldorf alt (bitter ale) and north German alt (dark lager or strong lager - can't remember which).

Anyway can I enter a beer as Dusseldorf alt in the dark lager category?

Quick question - sorry if I've missed it.

I see that altbier slots into dark lager but in the aabce there is a distinction between Dusseldorf alt (bitter ale) and north German alt (dark lager or strong lager - can't remember which).

Anyway can I enter a beer as Dusseldorf alt in the dark lager category?

Sure can Manticle.

The other categories (Wheat, Pale Lager and Bock) won't suit it well.

Cheers.

What I mean is

This comp is judged according to aabc guidelines.

The guidelines place dusseldorf alt in Category 8 (Bitter ale - 8.4) and there is no bitter ale category at Oktoberfest.

North German alt is in category 4 (amber and dark lager, 4.4) which is in the comp. Can I enter my alt as a dusseldorf, rather than as a North German, even though the category suggests I can't and will it get judged as such?

4. AMBER & DARK LAGER p. 8
4.1 Oktoberfest/Marzen
4.2 Vienna Lager
4.3 California Common Beer
4.4 North German Altbier
4.5 Munich Dunkel
4.6 Schwarzbier

8. BITTER ALE p. 16
8.1 Australian Bitter Ale
8.2 English Best Bitter
8.3 English Extra Special/Strong Bitter (ESB)
8.4 Dsseldorfer Altbier

You can enter either AltBier. Just make sure you tell us which one it is as they both have different standards. We will judge either Alt according to its own standard.

Hope that helps. BTW, I also have an Dusseldorf Alt to enter and we will have a keg of it on tap for visitors to taste on Sunday (along with another 9 different German beers - Pilsner, Dortmunder, Schwarzbier, Kolsch, Munich Dunkel, Dunkleweizen, Hefeweizen etc). Why not come on down for the visit and bring some friends.

Barry

[

quote name='manticle' date='Sep 26 2011, 03:14 PM' post='820105']
What I mean is

This comp is judged according to aabc guidelines.

The guidelines place dusseldorf alt in Category 8 (Bitter ale - 8.4) and there is no bitter ale category at Oktoberfest.

North German alt is in category 4 (amber and dark lager, 4.4) which is in the comp. Can I enter my alt as a dusseldorf, rather than as a North German, even though the category suggests I can't and will it get judged as such?

4. AMBER & DARK LAGER p. 8
4.1 Oktoberfest/Marzen
4.2 Vienna Lager
4.3 California Common Beer
4.4 North German Altbier
4.5 Munich Dunkel
4.6 Schwarzbier

8. BITTER ALE p. 16
8.1 Australian Bitter Ale
8.2 English Best Bitter
8.3 English Extra Special/Strong Bitter (ESB)
8.4 Dsseldorfer Altbier

[/quote]

Bump

The Oktoberfest public day is on this Sunday at Hickinbotham Winery, Nepean Highway, Dromana. Starts at 11am.

Lots of good German beer on tap for all punters to try.

One of the beers on tap will be a Dusseldorf Altbier that won the Bitter Ale category at VicBrew with 120 points.

Come on down for lunch and a few beers and maybe continue one to a winery tour (or two).

Cheers
Barry

Bumper

quote name='Barry R' date='Oct 5 2011, 07:24 AM' post='823589']
Bump

The Oktoberfest public day is on this Sunday at Hickinbotham Winery, Nepean Highway, Dromana. Starts at 11am.

Lots of good German beer on tap for all punters to try.

One of the beers on tap will be a Dusseldorf Altbier that won the Bitter Ale category at VicBrew with 120 points.

Come on down for lunch and a few beers and maybe continue one to a winery tour (or two).

Cheers
Barry
[/quote]

would have loved to be there, hopefully it turned out to be a good day and the weather wasn't a major issue.

Back