'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nelsons Pride IPA

1x Coopers Pale + 1x Coopers Canadian Blonde
1.5kg DME
250g Caramunich III
200g dex

30g Magnum @ 60 mins
20g Nelson Sauvin @20mins
20g Nelson Sauvin @5mins

Reharvested Nottingham yeast

O.G. 1.074

Didn't taste too bitter when I took the OG yeast fired up and been running for just a day.

Been in the bottle for only a week but by golly it is good.

Coopers Pale and Coopers Canadian together make a very good base for a big bodied beer the taste is a little bit like Coopers Vintage 2010 on the malt side with a fruity hop flavour forward from the Nelson Sauvin.

Recipe as follows.. I cant put it through Ianh's Spread sheet but had this as a rough plan... appreciate thoughts..

First Tucan attempt.

Coopers Draught and Farmland Draught cans
350g Light crystal
150g Carapils
200g DME

3lt steep 2lt sparge
add farmland can
boil 30 min (I know I dont have to but want to reduce the bitterness)
10g Chinook 15 min
10g Cascade 15 min
5g Chinook 5 min
5g Cascade 5 min
add coopers can
top to 25lt @ 24-20'c
harvested US-05

dryhop
10g Chinook @ 4 days
10g Cascade @ 4 Days

Is a bit of an experiment.. I just gotta try one of these Tucans
:beer:

Dont know if boiling the can will reduce the bitterness mate...

Late additions of Chinook and Cascade=Win :icon_drool2:

Looks great mate. It will be bitter but. My first toucan was a real smack in the face considering a short time before that I was drinking Super Dry etc... Now, too much IBU's is not enough. Within reason ;)

Nelsons Pride IPA

1x Coopers Pale + 1x Coopers Canadian Blonde
1.5kg DME
250g Caramunich III
200g dex

30g Magnum @ 60 mins
20g Nelson Sauvin @20mins
20g Nelson Sauvin @5mins

Reharvested Nottingham yeast

O.G. 1.074

Didn't taste too bitter when I took the OG yeast fired up and been running for just a day.

Wow, sounds like a BIG beer! What did the FG and alc content come out at?

F.G. came out at a little over 1.020 which is a bit higher than wanted but tallies up with IanH's spreadsheet.
Gives an indicated ABV of 7.3 estimated seems about right only tested one bottle to check carbonation will improve with age if it lasts long enough. Done 2 toucans now with Pale and Canadian together I like the combo gives the deep flavours I am looking for.

First Tucan attempt.

Coopers Draught can
Farmland Draught can
350g Light crystal
150g Carapils
[edit]1 x BE2
[edit]350g DME
[edit]100g Dex

10g Chinook 15 min
10g Cascade 15 min
5g Chinook 5 min
5g Cascade 5 min
top to 25lt @ 24-20'c
[edit]rehydrated and proofed US-05

dryhop
[edit]15g Chinook @ 4 days
[edit]15g Cascade @ 4 Days

Orig. Gravity 1056
Current Gravity: 1036 @ 4 days
Tasted from Hydrometer reading today, dark amber, not over the top bitter, going to be dangerously nice with the D/hop addition :ph34r:

:party:

Looks like you are going to get a delicious American IPA style beer love the Chinook.

350g of Crystal should balance the bitterness a bit to make it feel not too over the top bitter.

Just picked up a couple of bargains 1 can Brewcraft Belgian and Blackrock NZ draught both for under 20 bucks . :icon_cheers:

Was thinking of doing a toucan with a some be2 and a KG of LDME 300g light crystal steeped.
Bung the lot in the kettle up to 40lt and do some hop additions .
40G Palisade @40min
20G Palisade @10min
Maybe dry hop after a couple of days ferment.

Sound to funky appeciate your thoughts .

Been in the bottle for only a week but by golly it is good.

Coopers Pale and Coopers Canadian together make a very good base for a big bodied beer the taste is a little bit like Coopers Vintage 2010 on the malt side with a fruity hop flavour forward from the Nelson Sauvin.

hi guys,

i got some coopers kits for xmas {mexican, blonde and draught}

am thinking of doing a simple toucan.. no xrta hops but maybe a little dextrose....

any thoughts/hints would be appreciated

aaron

Orig. Gravity 1056
Current Gravity: 1036 @ 4 days
[EDIT] Dry hopped 30g @ Day 4

So update..

Added EC1118 to primary @ day 6 - Reading 1.024
Gentle stir @ day 10 to Rouse yeast
Racked to secondary @ day 11
Gravity @ Day 14 (Yesterday) was 1.014 -

I left this hydrometer sample on the window ledge which gets evening sun so havnt tasted it but the sample has got down to 1.010... I plan on leaving the sample exposed for a few days to see how far it gets down. This beast might be in the fridge for a month at this rate!! Another week to clean, a week to CC.. damn Ive nott got the patence for 1 brew a month :blink:

Its grew a monster krausen too, only stopped about 5mm from the Gladwrap.. it was fearsome :)

:icon_cheers:

Ended up going the US 05 made up to a 22L batch. My first time using grains and boy do they smell good!
Sampled the gravity reading tube and its noticably more bitter than my previous brews so we will see how it turns out, only 4 weeks to go :D

2 x Coopers lager cans
250g light crystal malt (steeped for 30 mins)
500g dextrose
25g Amarillo - 15 mins
25g Amarillo dry hopped
US05 yeasties

Had a few of these after ageing in the shed for nearly a year. Even better than I remember for a k&k brew. Worth trying for something simple and tasty. They were quite good after a few weeks as well but time has definatly helped round everyting out.

Hi all, newbie here just on to my second brew :) My first brew was the standard Coopers lager that came with the kit plus 1 tin of the coopers light malt extract (did not use the BE1) and 15g of Cascade pellets that were added when the fermenter was filled. I forgot to take an OG, but left it for 10 days before bottling and the FG was 1.006. It has only been in the bottle for a week now and I will leave it another week before tasting, but I can't wait!

For my second brew I have used a can of Coopers Pale Ale and a can of Coopers Canadian Blond, with both the included yeast sachets. I did not add any extra sugars. I have some Cascade pellets that a friend gave me and I plan to add them on day 4, after steeping for 15 - 20 mins. I was going to add only 15g but my friend gave me 20g, should I add it all or will this overpower the flavours and aromas of the hopped extracts?

OG was 1.046 and I plan to leave it for a good 10 days before bottling. Current temp is 26C but I am trying to get it down by putting a few bags of ice from the servo in a bucket next to the fermenter - my brew set up is in a tiny room under the stairs so I'm hoping it will be enough to cool the whole space and thus bring the brew temp down a bit too. The tasting from the OG sample was quite nice so I have high hopes for this brew, but as it is only my second attempt I know I still have a lot to learn :)

Hi all, newbie here just on to my second brew :) My first brew was the standard Coopers lager that came with the kit plus 1 tin of the coopers light malt extract (did not use the BE1) and 15g of Cascade pellets that were added when the fermenter was filled. I forgot to take an OG, but left it for 10 days before bottling and the FG was 1.006. It has only been in the bottle for a week now and I will leave it another week before tasting, but I can't wait!

For my second brew I have used a can of Coopers Pale Ale and a can of Coopers Canadian Blond, with both the included yeast sachets. I did not add any extra sugars. I have some Cascade pellets that a friend gave me and I plan to add them on day 4, after steeping for 15 - 20 mins. I was going to add only 15g but my friend gave me 20g, should I add it all or will this overpower the flavours and aromas of the hopped extracts?

OG was 1.046 and I plan to leave it for a good 10 days before bottling. Current temp is 26C but I am trying to get it down by putting a few bags of ice from the servo in a bucket next to the fermenter - my brew set up is in a tiny room under the stairs so I'm hoping it will be enough to cool the whole space and thus bring the brew temp down a bit too. The tasting from the OG sample was quite nice so I have high hopes for this brew, but as it is only my second attempt I know I still have a lot to learn :)

hi ploto,

welcome to the world of home brew..I like you am fairly new to brewing and the forum. this place has been great for help/ideas.

your temp sounds a bit high from what ive read. it should be around 18degrees (for ales) if you can get it down to that. the ice sounds like a good idea. maybe also try a wet towel wrapped around the fermentor. have a little search on temperature control. there are plenty of posts with loads of different methods.

your 2nd brew sounds good and along simliar line to what i was thinking of. i was planning a coppers mexican with a coppers blonde. i was hoping to get some feed back from fellow brewers here but havent had any as yet.

keep me posted on your brew as im keen to here how it goes

:icon_chickcheers: aaronR

Hi - I haven't noticed anyone trying the Coopers Australian pale Ale as a toucan? I put down:

2 x Coopers APA
10 g Saaz (1 min)
20 g Hallertau (1 min)
1.5 x Kit yeasts

It's now three weeks old and I cracked one last night - best homebrew I've ever done. Slightly on the bitter side but FAR better than the bottled conditioned APA Coopers sell. Seriously. I'm so GD pleased with myself and I highly recommend this to others. I will be doing again but with a heavy dose of cascade as dry hops (to my taste this requires not further bittering), without the Saaz and possibly including some carapils steeped.

Toucan = way forward.

Hi - I haven't noticed anyone trying the Coopers Australian pale Ale as a toucan? I put down:

2 x Coopers APA
10 g Saaz (1 min)
20 g Hallertau (1 min)
1.5 x Kit yeasts

It's now three weeks old and I cracked one last night - best homebrew I've ever done. Slightly on the bitter side but FAR better than the bottled conditioned APA Coopers sell. Seriously. I'm so GD pleased with myself and I highly recommend this to others. I will be doing again but with a heavy dose of cascade as dry hops (to my taste this requires not further bittering), without the Saaz and possibly including some carapils steeped.

Toucan = way forward.

Very convincing, i'll add it to my to-do list :icon_chickcheers:

I have only done one toucan which is the stout/dark ale, I used 25g of fuggles at 5mins, 200g light dry malt and nott yeast. It came out bitter at the start but has mellowed to a really nice stout.

For my second brew I have used a can of Coopers Pale Ale and a can of Coopers Canadian Blond, with both the included yeast sachets. I did not add any extra sugars. I have some Cascade pellets that a friend gave me and I plan to add them on day 4, after steeping for 15 - 20 mins.

fwiw this combo turned out very nice. If I were to do it again would probably just dry hop rather than steep.

fwiw this combo turned out very nice. If I were to do it again would probably just dry hop rather than steep.

I agree on the dry hopping recently dry hopped 20g cascade and 20g amarillo to some thing similar and is very refreashing now after 6 weeks in the bottle.

Jan

Gday Guys im going to do a Dark Ale/ Stout Toucan... When planning a recipe for the brew would it basically be the 2 cans and both yeast and 23L of Water? Any other worth while additions?

Latest posts

Back