Bathurst 2005 Results

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about it after we talked though, the good thing about PET bottles is you can squeeze all the air out before carb'ing the beer. That won't be possible with glass bottles. Will probably need to flood the bottle with CO2 first, then fill, then carb, froth and cap.

Thoughts ?

I can't see this being a problem ... if you were to prime a bottle and seal it you haven't flooded the bottle first with Co2.

Either way, Co2 being heavier than air should mean that the air is at the very top ... even with a carbonating cap you still remove it to replace with a normal cap, the release in pressure at this stage will push the air out first ... not unlike burping a keg

chiller said:
Bathurst was such a great competition. The beers were good the people were fantastic and we all had a great time.

Wish I was there. Sounds great

"the scantily clad brew assistant"

Should I ask about this? :unsure:

cheers
Darren

Good Day
I was there and I must have missed it. Hope it wasn't Brian.

Hi all,

I have just received my trophies, certificates and judging sheets. How organised is this competition!!! only 4 days after the judging and I have it all in my hands. I think I will sup from my new mug tonight :beer: .
And to think I am still waiting for the National comp score sheets and such to arrive 4 months later :angry: what is going on there??? has anyone had any feedback from the nationals yet?

Andrew

AndrewQLD said:
Hi all,

I have just received my trophies, certificates and judging sheets. How organised is this competition!!! only 4 days after the judging and I have it all in my hands. I think I will sup from my new mug tonight :beer: .
And to think I am still waiting for the National comp score sheets and such to arrive 4 months later :angry: what is going on there??? has anyone had any feedback from the nationals yet?

Andrew
[post="48590"][/post]​

Andrew, You should have already known that everything takes a long time in Canberra :eek: :party:

Just received mine as well - I can't believe how quick it was. A big thanks to the organisers - Top Darts!

Gonna have to have a big drink from the new mug tonight as well AndrewQLD. It is always really exciting the first time :)

Shawn. :beer:

AndrewQLD said:

Andrew
[post="48590"][/post]​

Nope. I'm still waiting too.
Pointless sending off emails to chase up (I did last year) as they just get ignored. :angry:
From memory I think I got the recipe book for 2003 in Aug/Sept 2004.

I mean FFS. We spend the time to create the brew, pay our money to enter them in a comp and get them through the PO system, only to have to wait an eternity for the results and goodies. There better be some constructive comments on the judging sheets. :(

Doc

I mean FFS. We spend the time to create the brew, pay our money to enter them in a comp and get them through the PO system, only to have to wait an eternity for the results and goodies. There better be some constructive comments on the judging sheets.

I was stuffed around last year too, as was everyone. What I don't understand is how it can take so long to post the stuff back, I know they have a lot of entries, but the Bathurst comp has more and look at their turnaround. I have emailed them twice with no replies. All in all I think it is one of the poorer run comps we have. And considering it is on the National level thats fairly sad :( .

Andrew

All in all I think it is one of the poorer run comps we have. And considering it is on the National level thats fairly sad

... but it always has been.

The short time we were involved with it was enough for us ... delegates in each state sending 1000's of emails, procrastinating about the insignificant issues, forming countless committees, creating a competition that frustrates and discourages brewers.

Many of us that qualified the last couple of years didn't bother entering ... what's the point? Still haven't received judging sheets from the 2002 comp ... must be a communication problem between the "put the sheets in the envelopes committee" and the "lick the stamps committee"

Armstrong said:
All in all I think it is one of the poorer run comps we have. And considering it is on the National level thats fairly sad

... but it always has been.

The short time we were involved with it was enough for us ... delegates in each state sending 1000's of emails, procrastinating about the insignificant issues, forming countless committees, creating a competition that frustrates and discourages brewers.

Many of us that qualified the last couple of years didn't bother entering ... what's the point? Still haven't received judging sheets from the 2002 comp ... must be a communication problem between the "put the sheets in the envelopes committee" and the "lick the stamps committee"
[post="48647"][/post]​

If I qualify again this year, I don't think I'll be entering. I almost didn't last year. The only reason I did was because I took a couple of 1st place in the State comp and liked the idea of bragging rights (if only to the missus) from doing well at a National level. But what bragging rights to you really have when you have no tangible proof other than a little text on an Internet forum or by email (which itself took over a week to get posted).

The rant continues......

Beers,
Doc

PS, Armstrong. How are the Castle Hill Show prizes and judging sheets looking ?

Andrew/ Doc/ Armstrong (Shawn?),

Just a note to say that not everybody is experiencing the problems you mention.

I received 2004 AABC feedback + certificate not long after I posted the message below to Oz Craftbrewers.

I didn't have any probs with AABC 2003 feedback either. Got that too.
Yes the booklet came much later, but then that required more work and they are volunteers (who isn't?) after all.

Has the stuff got lost in the mail?
Has filtering on the email stopped your messages getting through?
Are your ISP's not allowing their messages through?
Have you tried writing a letter or speaking to someone in person?

I can understand your frustration, but slagging the comp or organisers off here or boycotting the comp is not going to solve anything. What it might do is disuade others from competing. Do we really want to do that?

All the best,
Pete

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, 8 December 2004 9:55 AM
To: Peter Wadey
Subject: RE: AABC results postout

That's fine by me although not all entrants are necessarily on OZCB.
When I say everything I'm referring to score sheets only,
not the trophies which will be sent out separately.
Cheers
Richard

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, 8 December 2004 9:41 AM
To: Richard Pass

Thanks Richard.

May I fwd this on to OzCb for the information of other entrants?

Regards,
Peter

Sent: Wednesday, 8 December 2004 9:31 AM
To: Peter Wadey

Hi Peter
I've got everything ready to go but I'm waiting on the printing of the certificates.
I hope to have them out in the next few days.
Cheers
Richard Pass
Sent: Wednesday, 8 December 2004 8:44 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: AABC results postout

Dear Richard,
Just wondering if you have an ETA on the mailout of AABC 2004 judging sheets?

Regards,
Peter Wadey
Eastwood, NSW

I can understand your frustration, but slagging the comp or organisers off here or boycotting the comp is not going to solve anything. What it might do is disuade others from competing. Do we really want to do that?

Well Peter, we are all entitled to our opinions, and that entitlement includes expressing them. This is an open Forum in which it is possible some of the organisers frequent.

I received 2004 AABC feedback + certificate not long after I posted the message below to Oz Craftbrewers

This is the point, why should entrants have to chase the organisers for their results?

And as far as 2003 comp goes, 4 months after the competition I was still waiting for trophies and the reason given after numerous emails was " waiting for them to arrive from overseas". That must have been dissapointing for all of the winners who turned up at the function for the presentations ;) .

I would not discourage other brewers from entering this comp as the feedback is very helpful.

And as far as posting this sort of thing to this forum, if I can not get a response after several emails to the organisers then I think I have every right to raise the issue here in the hope that they will see the thread and respond.

I will now try to email them again in the hope of some results :blink:

Regards
Andrew

Yes Pete ... Armstrong = Shawn, Beavis = Buz

Your lucky Pete ... Beavis hasn't got anything from 2002 yet ... you think it's in the mail? lol

Castle Hill is coming from the Show Society ... we passed it all on for display at the show ... will chase them up Monday.

Pete ... nice Schwartzbier ... any surplus bottles will be gracefully accepted. lol

Hi Armstrong,

It was Doc that was asking when the prizes would be out, not me.
I move at a much slower pace than Doc. :)

No I don't expect it's all a mail problem, just that sometimes shit happens.
Local rag recently reported an Aussie Post subbie that got caught with a garage full of mail from before Christmas. All addressed to Ryde region. Christmas presents included. Unusual, but it can happen.

As for the dark lager, yes i have just a few spare.
Tell Beavis the grist composition was from the Weyermann recipe sheets.

Will you be at Thornleigh for the Demo?
Might take the train up and bring an assortment of 'poison'.

Will call closer to the date.

Rgds,
Pete

Latest posts

Back