2015 ESB Homebrew Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colbatt said:
Thanks to Judges and stewards and especially ESB for their sponsorship. Absolutely thrilled with the result but I think Michael Ward is the real hero of the comp!
And you get best of show again!

Brett did pretty well too, with a pair of firsts. Even if one of them was a collaboration that I did 70% of the work on :p

Colbatt said:
Thanks to Judges and stewards and especially ESB for their sponsorship. Absolutely thrilled with the result but I think Michael Ward is the real hero of the comp!
...but don't tell Michael Ward that, that guy is a complete tosser.

Thanks again Peter for an enjoyable comp, ran smoother than an aged Porter

Congrats Col for Best in Show

Korev said:
Well you would know being the originator of that rumour! Totally baseless and without any foundation whatsoever.

P1
still won't stop me from spreading it though. i have 3 witnesses that saw you acknowledge that esb would run the states.

Thanks to all the people who make these comps possible. And congrats to winners :) i was wondering. Are these aub categories all combined and its simply highest score wins?

moodgett said:
Thanks to all the people who make these comps possible. And congrats to winners :) i was wondering. Are these aub categories all combined and its simply highest score wins?
Yep, thats how it works. I would really like to see placings for each style, but I dont volunteer, so wont complain.

Also, do I really want to see that the best Cali Common only scored 25 ?
I'd like to know how many Australian Pale Ales were entered for example. Seeing as Aus Pale (and Belgian PA) are up against American Pale Ale and they has so many APA entries, there wasnt much chance of either of those being in the top 3. (Only speaking statistically, of course they can make it)

Note - I didnt enter either Aus PA or Belg PA, but if I did, it would still be cool to know if you brewed the best Aus Pale at the show, even if there were 3 American Pales that were better.

Being different styles I always wonder if you're not really comparing apples with apples.
Can a Belgian Pale Ale be better than an American Pale Ale?

Anyway, I dont know and I dont help out, so cant criticise.

Thanks to everyone who does. Your effort is appreciated. These are just my rambling thoughts.

Each beer is scored on its merits against the BJCP specification. This considers Aroma (out of 12 points), Appearance (3 points), Flavour (20 points), Mouthfeel (5 points) and Overall Impression (10 points), so a max score of 50.
So within each style the beers are directly comparable but you are not comparing one style against another.
For the Best of Show a Saison that scores 45 will beat a Stout (ie totally different category) that scores 44 but you are not directly comparing such radically different beers
Hope this helps

Yep, I understand that. I have been a judge in the past. What I am saying, is that brewing some styles is easier than others. Its for that reason, all bitters are lumped together and all pale ales etc, but not a good idea IMO.
I do believe its easier to make a good Kolsch than a Cali Common. I dont know if any Cali's were entered, but the results reflect that too.
Thats one reason I'd like to see 1st 2nd and 3rd for every style and what they scored.
The other reason is judges (well used to, imagine its still the same) only judge one style on the day. So you have differences there.
The best Bitter wasnt even as 'good' as the 3rd best Pale Ale?
I find that hard to believe, so why not just place every style judged instead of categorising them?

Hi Guys,

Will the score sheets be mailed out to us? Is there a spreadsheet available now by any chance to see how I did?

Thanks!

The score sheets and gift certificates will be mailed out in the near future.

Most - if not all - score sheets for those not winning prizes have already been sent. Last I heard, gift certificates were being finalised before being sent out with their respective score sheets.

Got my results back last night. I knew I submitted one decent beer and one quite average beer. I got the results back and couidn't believe how poorly my average beer scored. I sat down and read the scoresheets while I had one of the average beers. They're right, it's a terrible beer, but more importantly the judges were able to tell me exactly what was wrong with it, I googled for answers and have had an "Aha!" moment and now realise the stupid thing I let creep into my process - I've started mashing out at a high temperature as I thought I was saving time and causing no harm while possibly allowing me to get extra sugar out. I think this is causing astringency issues. I'm glad I entered this bad beer now. Thanks to the judges for being able to tell me what I couldn't put my finger on!

Got my feedback sheets last night so thanks heaps for that :)

Just wondering with the overall total is it an average between to two scores you receive? My APA got 32 and 36. Just curious

Cheers
Moodgett

yes it would be if its out of 50.

Great feedback for me too. I'm gonna need to add a lot more hops to my styles!

SixStar said:
Great feedback for me too. I'm gonna need to add a lot more hops to my styles!
Me too! I look over my recipes with score sheets and comments in front of me and drink one (from tap though) if I have one.
One recipe has 0.75g/L @ 20 mins, 1gL @ 10 mins and 1.5g/L dry hop for 3 days.
Comments:
Aroma: No hop aroma
Overall impression: More dry hopping and more late hopping. !
Not sure I'd actually like that 'style' myself, seeing as IMO its bursting with hops on tap.

mckenry said:
Me too! I look over my recipes with score sheets and comments in front of me and drink one (from tap though) if I have one.
One recipe has 0.75g/L @ 20 mins, 1gL @ 10 mins and 1.5g/L dry hop for 3 days.
Comments:
Aroma: No hop aroma
Overall impression: More dry hopping and more late hopping. !
Not sure I'd actually like that 'style' myself, seeing as IMO its bursting with hops on tap.
What style was that beer ?

Back