Bathurst 2005 Results

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have probably missed something here but,
Any ideas on how they worked out the most successful exhibitor?
On a closer look it seems Barry C's name appears on that list ALOT.
Don't wan't to rain on your parade Simon, Just curious.
Maybe they have divided the number of points by the number of beers entered

Yep, I just had a look and came to the same conclusion. I was hoing nobody would notice. Even if there arent enough entries for a category to be judged the score still goes to the total. Either its a mistake, or they disqualified a bunch of his entries cos they are sick of him winning!

I will check with Brian, but I think it is the total score for all your bottles divided by the total number of entries. With a minimum number of entries to qualify.

All prizes and judging sheets are going in the post tomorrow.

looking at the results i would have to say barry got the grand champion beer because his dopplebock scored 130.5
but then again pol is more than likely spot on. :D

:beer:
big d

Congratulations Simon! I am sure that the quantum chiller played a role in this :ph34r:

Congrats to all the others looks like a great result for many members of AHB!

Congrats GL and to all the other members that placed.
AHB rocks.

johnno

Have confirmed about the "Most Successful Exhibitor."

Minimum of three entries to qualify. The score from every beer entered by an exhibitor is added up, and the total is divided by the number entries.

This stops someone with one really good entry winning, and the entrant that puts in 26 mediocre beers from winning.

All certificates, awards and judging sheets will be in the post tomorrow. That means Big D may see his by the end of the month.

is it the end of the month yet
is it the end of the month yet :D <_<

big d

Doc said:
Bit dissappointed with my entries. I had them ready about seven weeks before the comp (for entry at Bathurst and the Castle Hill show). I entered them in Coopers PET bottles, and the feedback from the Castle Hill comp was they were lacking carbonation. I dear say by the time they made it to Bathurst, they were under carb'd. Looking forward to the judging sheets to confirm. Lesson learnt (and passed along. Don't use PET bottles for comps).

[post="48018"][/post]​

This was something I had always wondered.
When you post in your entries (or anywhere else for that matter)

Do you gas the beer in a keg and just tap off the bottles and send this in or would you bulk prime the whole batch and bottle?

Providing of course you have both options available to you.

hi sluggerdog
my beer for comps(all two of them now :p )have been bottled into coopers pet bottles and primed with sugar.
doc has a very valid point about lessons learnt using pet bottles however sending glass from my end of oz isnt an option due to the likely hood of breakage and the very high cost that comes with weight via aust post.therefore mine are pet entries.
helps reduce freight costs.
my entry that recieved a 4th place was a scottish 80/- and was bottled into a coopers pet in august 04.so i guess the doors open and the juries out for comment on glass vs pet.
fwiw if i lived closer i would use glass.in my mind beer in glass is all class.beer in plastic is not so fantastic :blink: :lol:

big d

Until this comp I've always sent entries in glass bottles. Until the last round of comps they were always bottle conditioned entries.
Last years comps were entries in glass that were filled using a counter pressure filler. I had good success last year.
This year I used PET bottles and a carbonation cap because the beers were in secondary after my big Xmas brew up. I really wanted to enter them and that was the only way.

In the future it will be all glass and counter pressure filler.

Beers,
Doc

Hi Doc,
Perhaps it was the carbonation cap that caused your problem, I always use PET for comp entries and have never had a problem with them losing gas, mind you I do prime them, not CPF and I am very carefull to seal very tightly. In fact I have a pils that was bottled last year, September, and the bottle is still rock hard, I opened my second last one 2 weeks ago and it was perfect :p
Andrew

:beerbang: Congrats to all the placed members at this comp and good luck next time to those who missed out.. :chug:
:beer: fnqbunyip

Bathurst was such a great competition. The beers were good the people were fantastic and we all had a great time.

Peter and Julie Fitzsimons and Bronwyn and myself travelled over from Adealide again this year. We tested the water last year and had no qualms signing on to judge again this year.

The organisation of the competition is excellent - as a judge everything and I mean everything is catered for.

Pint of Lager and the scantily clad brew assistant provided the most sensational 10 star very isolated accommodation prior to the main competition. No connected utilities but solar power, wonderful drinking water and of course a seemily endless supply of amber nectar. A very good Santiam American Pale Ale. A Vienna that didn't last very long and other beers to prime the palate.

Oh and believe it or not a sensational satelite internet connection.

This year the comp was held at the Sundowner motor inn and hosts Peter and Karen did a great job.

On the return journey to the civilisation of South Australia we stopped off at the new Mildura breweery.

Very pretty. Much SS -- much dollars.

The beers were very well presented [ a sample tray of the tap beers] so the tasting began.

The low alcohol job was really nice [the style sheet says SAAZ but my guess is Amarillo -- guess only though]

The next two beers were fairly mainstream beers with good balance and probably good market acceptance.

Next was a honey wheat beer and this wasn't a good beer at all. The honey was over the top and the wheat character was missing.

The brewery had a promotion beer called Cod tail ale -- an American ale done with Cascade.

The aroma was wonderful, the initial flavour was very good and the finish was typically sour grapefruit Cascade.

Suffice to say on our return from a delicious pizza or two we all had the low alcohol.

It is a great micro so if you go through Mildura drop in.

One of the benifits of the week away was the isolation but it is nice to get home and find little chores needing to be done ..................... such as cleaning out the boiler from a brew with the Drunk Arab before going to Bathurst. I did say I would clean the kettle, just wasn't specific as to when :)

Steve.

AndrewQLD said:
Hi Doc,
Perhaps it was the carbonation cap that caused your problem, I always use PET for comp entries and have never had a problem with them losing gas, mind you I do prime them, not CPF and I am very carefull to seal very tightly. In fact I have a pils that was bottled last year, September, and the bottle is still rock hard, I opened my second last one 2 weeks ago and it was perfect :p
Andrew
[post="48117"][/post]​

Hey Andrew.
I don't have any probs with the ones I carb up and drink here. It seems to be the ones that travel that I have more of a problem with, particular to Singapore and NZ.

Anyho, bottles it will be in the future for me.

Beers,
Doc

Hey Doc,

Did you have any success getting those ginger beer bottles I told you about?

Armstrong said:
Hey Doc,

Did you have any success getting those ginger beer bottles I told you about?
[post="48131"][/post]​

Armstrong,

Will be looking out for them this week to give a trial run.
Thinking about it after we talked though, the good thing about PET bottles is you can squeeze all the air out before carb'ing the beer. That won't be possible with glass bottles. Will probably need to flood the bottle with CO2 first, then fill, then carb, froth and cap.

Thoughts ?

Beers,
Doc

Well done to all those that got a prize. Your shed is producing award winning beers, do you now offer it to the brother in law that has always looked down his nose at your brews, whilst sipping his Crownie??????
Plastic Bottles- Your Grand Father never drank out of them so why should you?
Of course you don't send a treasured pick axe handle bottle of to a comp, but beer in a brown glass bottle is the way to go.
Cheers
Gerard

Doc said:
Thinking about it after we talked though, the good thing about PET bottles is you can squeeze all the air out before carb'ing the beer. That won't be possible with glass bottles.
Thoughts ?

[post="48133"][/post]​

Interesting some of these comments about the brown PET bottles. I used them for some time after I first moved to Japan. I haven't had any particular problem with them losing carbonation. But I did feel that they did not store beer well over a longer period. Can't say what the magic number is, but up to six months seems OK, longer than that and I reckon they can start showing signs of oxidation. I had one batch of weizen that was very nice when it was young, but gradually deteriorated and, most tellingly, darkened considerably over time. But they have their benefits: no bottle caps, ability to squeeze out the air, and low weight especially.

These days I have a few 11-L kegs and use them as much as possible. For left-overs I tend to use 500-mL aluminium bottle-cans. They are a home-brewer's wet-dream: no oxidation problem, completely opaque, re-sealable like PET, perfect one-serving size. Plus, it just looks like soft drink on the outside, so you can take them to the footy (or J equivalent). The only drawback is you can't see the bloody fluid level when filling them. So the dream, or at least the floor, really can become a bit wet if you're not careful. If anyone is interested, I could rustle up a photo and post it, just for curiosity's sake.

Steve

Doc,

If the problem seems to be in beers you ship overseas for comps then maybe the plastic is affected by pressure variations when the plane flys at altitude, If thats the case then glass bottles are the only way to go, but I think you have already worked that out ;) .

Cheers Andrew

Latest posts

Back