Batch Sparging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazy

Reaction score
G'day Guys. My mash tun is a converted eski with braided hose in the bottom as my filter. My question is when do I add my batch sparge water. Should I wait and completely drain all my first runnings or wait till the level is well under the grain bed(leaving some wort in the mash tun). Have made two all grain brews and they are fantastic but am concerned I may be adding the batch sparge water at the wrong time/slash volume.
Thanks in advance

Mash-out, drain and recirculate till clear and no grainy bits, drain fully then add sparge water is how I do it.

i add my 1st sparge water ontop of the mash liquor and then drain 3/4.

I then add my final liquor and fully drain ending up with my final volume of wort in the kettle. The only reason i do this is to reduce spashing as i pour from a pot into my cooler esky.

:ph34r: Yes... hot side aeration!

What I do....

As Manticle said, Recirculate until clear - then fully drain.

Depending on rig size, as in if you need another 20L but can on fit 10L then do 2x 10L sparges..

Add first sparge water, let sit for 5-10 minutes and reticulate, again, and drain fully etc...

It would seem everybody does things differently and it would also seem everyone has different rigs! Work out what works best on yours.. Yep, may take some trial and error but you will still get beer as you go! :)

2 c.

same as manticle only reason I mashout is for 2 equal runnings for me I find 2x 17 is ideal for 25litres with all my losses.

yep try and get the equal runnings. for me its drain first runnings (30litres), sparge with 30Litres then drain and sparge with another 30litres then drain, getting 90litres pre boil into the kettle.

Back