Base Malts For Ales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice answer manticle :lol: Care to elaborate?

When I say "does it really matter what base malt you use", I don't mean any old malt, just does it really matter if I use an expensive one like Maris Otter or could I get a similar tasting beer with a cheaper NZ malt? Especially if it's quite a hoppy beer.

I'm not trying to brew a competition winner, just a nice beer.

I am fairly predictable. Maris Otter for most ales.Weyermann or Castle malts for lagers, Castle pale malts for American and possibly Aussie pale ales IMHO. Again my experience and view.

Don't you blokes who exclusively use one base malt ever get bored? Or do you generally cycle through the same recipes so you aren't looking for any variance between batches?

Will depend somewhat on how defined your palate is. I can't taste the difference between Weyermann and Joe White, so for me Joe White wins based on price.

I am sure others have more sensitive palates and can taste the difference. I should point out I brew mainly hoppyish ales.

Probably also depends on consistency in the brew house.

Don't you blokes who exclusively use one base malt ever get bored?

No.

A Belgian dubbel with 1214 and Weyermann Pils; and a German Lager with Hallertau and Weyermann Pils; and an IIPA with 75 IBUs of Amarillo and Weyermann Pils; and a Hefe with 50% Weyermann Pils; and a...

...drinking right now, a 3.5% Simcoe Ale with __________ as the base malt. It's not mousepiss aussie crap either if you're guessing.

Nah, simcoe and VB don't sound like good bed partners to me.

I see the point you're trying to make but what I'm hearing is "I can't taste malt".

I'm hearing is "I can't taste malt".

Oh, I can taste it alright. It tastes like Weyermann Pilsner.

That's the whole point. A sweet, bready, grainy basemalt that provides a great counterpoint to hops in bitter beers, to wheat in hefes, to noble hops in lagers and to esters in Belgians.

All the other beers I think are crap and they don't exist. :ph34r:

Ha! Fair enough then.

Some brewers can use cheap malts and make great beer , other's can use expensive malts and make average beers.
Most Micro's will be running cheaper Aussie malts and producing winning beers.
More about the brewer than the malt. I do use Euro malts for EU beers etc but I do have a cool room full of different malts so its not a money issue for me.
I believe in a blind taste test very few will be able to pick the different base malts or identify where they are from, maybe in a Pils its possible to taste the difference.
Nev

Base malts change batch to batch anyway! Pick a couple of base malts which suite the beers you brew most and stick with them. No matter what the base malt a brewer can use other malts, adjuncts, mash schedule, yeast strain, fermentation regime etc to achieve a desired outcome.

Screwy

Will depend somewhat on how defined your palate is. I can't taste the difference between Weyermann and Joe White, so for me Joe White wins based on price.

I am sure others have more sensitive palates and can taste the difference. I should point out I brew mainly hoppyish ales.

Probably also depends on consistency in the brew house.

Is it just a matter of taste, or do they also have other different properties like head, mouthfeel etc?

My palates is not sensitive at all. I have pretty much no (or at least very little) sense of smell, so I guess that if it's just a matter of them tasting a little different, that the cheap one would be the same as the more expensive ones to me. I haven't tried back to back recipes that are the same except the base malt, so maybe I should give that a go before doing a bulk buy.

I'll go with the same as I've posted in the other 10 threads within the last year asking this exact same question

Try the NZ malt :)

Should be fine, will be cheap.

Is it just a matter of taste, or do they also have other different properties like head, mouthfeel etc?

My palates is not sensitive at all. I have pretty much no (or at least very little) sense of smell, so I guess that if it's just a matter of them tasting a little different, that the cheap one would be the same as the more expensive ones to me. I haven't tried back to back recipes that are the same except the base malt, so maybe I should give that a go before doing a bulk buy.

Wbosher,

There is nothing wrong with NZ malt. Differences are subtle & are flavour. By your own admission you have a poor palate & sense of smell, so i think you have answered your own question. You're trying to save money, so buy NZ malt & if you're brewing practises are sound you should make excellent beer.

Cheers Ross

Nice answer manticle :lol: Care to elaborate?

When I say "does it really matter what base malt you use", I don't mean any old malt, just does it really matter if I use an expensive one like Maris Otter or could I get a similar tasting beer with a cheaper NZ malt? Especially if it's quite a hoppy beer.

I'm not trying to brew a competition winner, just a nice beer.

It matters in terms of the fact that each ingredient you add to your beer has an effect. I find 250g of biscuit makes a discernible difference so 6kg of Maris Otter compared to 6kg of BB or somesuch will matter' in that regard.

How much of an effect will be beer dependent, ingredient dependent, brewer dependent and palate dependent so only you can really work out what you prefer.

I used to use a lot of Joe White and made what I thought was lovely beer. I now mainly use Weyermann, Dingemans and Simpsons and think the beer is better for it.

It matters to me but you should be able to make beer you like with malt you choose. There are more important things to worry about when starting out - go with the cheaper, when you have nutted out a decent recipe and brewed it a few times, change the base malt and see for yourself.

Thanks for your help guys. I'll give the cheaper NZ malt a shot and go from there. :)

Thanks for your help guys. I'll give the cheaper NZ malt a shot and go from there. :)

Your beer will taste like Lion Red, bro!

But seriously - I wonder what Steinlager has as its base malt?

Lion Red is vomit inducing crap :icon_vomit: as is most mass produced NZ beer.

I used to drink Tui, says its an East India Pale Ale...yeah right. :lol: Never go there again after getting back into home brew.

Gladfields are another local NZ maltster worth considering. They produce good quality base malts and a few specialties.
I reckon they're good as a base malt for the everyday beer (most styles) if you're happy to add flavour using specialties.
Having said that I tend to stick to English malts for my Bitters and Euro malts for Pils/Belgians.
As with any ingredient you need to know how to treat them to get the best out of them - check out this thread on the Real beer NZ forum for a recent discussion on clarity and break material.
Horses for courses but a good, cheaper, local alternative.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back