Banana In A Classic American Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopcycle

Reaction score
Well I have just started to taste my kegged CAP and it has one of the telltale signs of underpitching...banana aroma and flavour. I thought I pictched a decent amount of yeast but I think I rehydrated in 1040ish wort and hence probably reduced viability by half. The effect was probably heightened by the relatively high OG of 1055.

I did ferment at approx 12C with S-189 and did a D-rest for 2 days and then chilled etc

Can anyone give me some please give me some reassurance that if I pitch big and cold my issues will solved. :( <_<

I am getting a bit peeved at my attempts at a pils / lager and half just wanting to make big, bad APA's etc.

Lager brewers please pitch in with some advice.

Well I have just started to taste my kegged CAP and it has one of the telltale signs of underpitching...banana aroma and flavour. I thought I pictched a decent amount of yeast but I think I rehydrated in 1040ish wort and hence probably reduced viability by half. The effect was probably heightened by the relatively high OG of 1055.

I did ferment at approx 12C with S-189 and did a D-rest for 2 days and then chilled etc

Can anyone give me some please give me some reassurance that if I pitch big and cold my issues will solved. :( <_<

I am getting a bit peeved at my attempts at a pils / lager and half just wanting to make big, bad APA's etc.

Lager brewers please pitch in with some advice.
Bloke , i'd like to tell you that pitching big will solve your problems , but this is only half the story....
What type of brewer are you ? All grain ? K & K ? Extract ?
If your a grain brewer ,I'm wondering how long your boil was ? Did you do a 90 min boil to help reduce dms ?
Also , you state you rehydrated in wort ( which the fermentis web site says you can do ) but i'm wondering what your process for rehydraation was ?
Did you boil the wort and then cool it before you used it to rehydrate ?..just loooking for possible areas where you could have probs...
I've always rehydrated in water , btw
Why do u think that your rehydration reduced your viability by half ??
How long was your fementation ? was your diacetyl rest done before your fementation finished ( around 1.018)
What is your fementation regime ?
A few more questions to answer...and may help us find you some answers....
Cheers
Ferg

Not sure if it's classified as a CAP, but I know Miller Genuine Draft has a slight hint of ethyl amyl acetate (banana ester) as part of its flavour profile. And that's how it's suppose to taste.

I recently noticed a isoamyl acetate in a lager (not mine). I assume it was from warm fermentation, but it really surprised me. I was expecting the more harsh notes that could be described as fruity, perhaps more like rotten fruit, rather than weizen-ish notes. I guess it is not too far of a stretch to guess that the strains might be related.

What was your pitching rate?

Latest posts

Back