Ball Valve Life / Maintenance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
I'm running a fairly standard one piece brass ball valve on my brew kettle.

It took approx one brew to get all loose and floppy, so i'm guessing the nylon insert around the ball went into that first brew.

over a dozen brews in and it still seals, but is still floppy, and i've gotten wondering about whether there needs to be that insert bit?

is a normal valve rebuildable?

with a 3 piece do you replace the insert the ball sits in?

Does it matter if the valve is tight or loose (on your brew kettle!)

cheers

If the insert went into the brew (it can't ) it would would not seal at all. If it is lose tighten the nut under the handle. If you wish to disassemble to clean, look down the bore at both ends, one end will have a slot for a large screwdriver you can unscrew (normal right hand thread) the teflon seat will come out with it. Open ore close the valve ( i can't rember which ) and the ball and the other seat will come out. You will be supprised the crap traped inside.
I have 1piece 2 piece 3piece and sanitary valves they all trap crap and need cleaning. The only advantage i see in the sanitary valve is the stem comes apart easily. Trying to remove the stem on the 1,2 and 3 piece is difficult without damaging the stem seals.
Ball valves survive 100s of hours in industry. With our limited use i can't see us wearing one out.
Hope this helps.
Kev

Latest posts

Back