Slow drip from ball valve on conical fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I don't often use my 50L chronical, and must be out of practice assembling the ball valves because despite doing a leak test with water, it was only when I filled it with 30L stout that I could detect a very slow leak coming through the ball valve. It's the smaller racking port valve, not the dump valve. It's probably a droplet every 30m or so.

On closer inspection, it looks like I have tightened up the bolts with the barrel of the valve off-center. I can see the edge of the inner circular seal showing on one side of the ball when I look into the end of it.

Any tips? I assume this is an infection risk - if stuff gets out, stuff gets in?

IMG_9722.JPG

I was wondering whether to just spray in sanitizer and tie on some gladwrap (this may be wildly optimistic if the leak just fills up with enough pressure to pop the seal). I'm guessing it's probably foolhardy to loosen the bolts very slightly to push the barrel into a better position, given the 30L stout that will be wanting to push its way through any looseness in the system?

Cheers,
B

Hi Bingggo. I've had mine do similar on the odd occasion. Mine is usually the side racking port valve. Not to much to worry about. I clean it with paper towel and spray with sanitiser each day. Never got an infection from it, so i think you will be pretty safe in that regard. Love a good stout!
Edit. Yep, don't go touching those bolts.

Back