ball valve install issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenJohnson

Reaction score
Hey guys, got a ball valve kit recently (basically like the one pictured) and its giving me grief trying to install the damn thing.
firstly the washer it came with seems too large. the hole in the washer is very large and loose on the nipple, it kinda wobbles about when you try to tighten the cylindrical coupler and looks off center. also the round coupler is a bitch to tighten and easily comes loose. No matter how tight I get it, the whole assembly is not very tight and easily moves.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm doing everything I've seen in various videos, but it ends up a wobbly mess.
where can I get a better more snug fitting washer and maybe a hexagonal (or whatever shape) coupler to tighten it a bit better?

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated :)

p.s. had a look at bunnings but couldn't find a washer the right size

ball valve.jpg

Does the one you have have the brass nut and 2 o-rings that are pictured? If it does, tighten up the female pipe on the nipple (make sure you use some teflon tape) so you have about 2 cm of your threaded nipple poking through the hole in your pot to the outside. Pop your washer and o-ring on the nipple so it sits inside wall of the pot. Once it is seated, tighten the brass nut with the other o-ring facing the outside wall of the pot and use the brass nut to tighten both sides.

Once you've got the piping tight the you can screw your valve on and test for leaks.

Hope that makes sense.

JD

mine comes with stainless everything, its got (from the outside in) the valve, a nut and thin o-ring, fat o-ring the washer and the coupler, and of course the nipple inside all of that. Thanks guys, will try both those ways and hopefully can get it not so wobbly :) its just that darn washer, seems like the wrong size!

KenJohnson said:
mine comes with stainless everything, its got (from the outside in) the valve, a nut and thin o-ring, fat o-ring the washer and the coupler, and of course the nipple inside all of that. Thanks guys, will try both those ways and hopefully can get it not so wobbly :) its just that darn washer, seems like the wrong size!
I dont use the washers. Generally the nut / whatever your connecting works fine.
Each to their own :)

Did you buy from a home brew shop? Because I'm sure they would have supplied you with exactly what you needed and explained the procedure. I bought mine from Craftbrewer and it works fine.

Looking at the photo, you only have one nut, you should have 2.

It should be, on the inside of the urn, nut - silicon washer - urn wall. On the outside, urn wall - flat stainless steel washer - nut.

nope, no inside nut, just the round coupler. An inside nut would be great, could properly tighten it. Well I put it on as per JDW81's instructions, and it looks ok for now. doesn't seem to leek. it's still a tiny bit wobbly if you grab the valve and actually wobble it, so we'll see. but probably ok for now.
would love to just weld one on eventually!

Back