Bad carbonation or just impatient

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willbrewry

Reaction score
Opened a 750ml bottle after 2 weeks to see how the beer was going. And it was flat and had no head. I put 2 coppers carbonation drops in each bottle so would of thought there be some head there.

Is because it needs to sit for longer?

Or bad brewing

Two weeks is not enough particularly in this cold weather. What temperature is it where you are storing the bottles? Wrap a couple of bottles up in a blanket or something to warm them and test in a week or two.
Cheers

Coopers drops would be better than coppers,they just drink the stuff.

my back room were I keep my beer is pretty cold so in winter I find its at least 4 weeks till they carb up decently. I worked out th\is winter if I cold crash for a few less days and leave a bit more yeast they carb up a little quicker . In summer I can try one at a week and it will have head

grott said:
Two weeks is not enough particularly in this cold weather. What temperature is it where you are storing the bottles? Wrap a couple of bottles up in a blanket or something to warm them and test in a week or two.
Cheers
Cheers for the advice mate, also it didn't taste to great, not infected taste but quite sorta bland sour. Hope that also improves. I can't see where I went wrong

Will,
Yeah definitely need to condition in 18C+ to get things moving.
It also doesn't hurt to give the bottles a gentle shake (turn upside down once or twice gently) as this will re-activate everything as well. Sometimes all the sediment becomes too compacted at the bottom of the bottle and doesn't activate with the carbonation properly. So giving the bottle a little flip to mix everything again can be quite helpful to getting a better beer. I only do this at the end of the first week in the bottle then leave for a few days to settle down before popping in fridge to drink. Paul (PB2) from Coopers mentioned this to me a while back.
Cheers,
Pete

Gigantorus said:
Will,
Yeah definitely need to condition in 18C+ to get things moving.
It also doesn't hurt to give the bottles a gentle shake (turn upside down once or twice gently) as this will re-activate everything as well. Sometimes all the sediment becomes too compacted at the bottom of the bottle and doesn't activate with the carbonation properly. So giving the bottle a little flip to mix everything again can be quite helpful to getting a better beer. I only do this at the end of the first week in the bottle then leave for a few days to settle down before popping in fridge to drink. Paul (PB2) from Coopers mentioned this to me a while back.
Cheers,
Pete
Deffinatly will give that a go bro

At 15C you are probably looking at 3 weeks minimum...

Latest posts

Back