Babbs - What Are You Brewing With Your Eagle Heights Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkey7

Reaction score
Hi fellow BABBarians (and anyone else reading this),

1. How many KG's of Munich I went into the 500L batch?
2. What was the gravity of your portion of wort ??
3. What is everyone doing with their all Munich wort?
4. Is it to be ready for the 4th Thursday in January - :unsure: Yikes?

It appears as though I drank too much on the day and forgot these bits of information or have killed my brain cells since...

FYI - I'm about to attempt a Doppelbock.. :icon_cheers:

PB

I'm going with an Eisbock which wont be ready for Jan meeting. Boiled down to 12 litres 1.087 and 37 IBU hallertau. presently 1.022.

Biggest problem will be getting temp low enough to take ice off (1st attempt at an Eisbock). Will have to talk to Jye, may need to get some nitrogen from somewhere.

HD

Hi Guys,

Well I was keen split my cube to brew both a Maibock and a Belgian Dark Strong, but unfortunatly mine contracted an infection in the cube and when I opened it, it smelt worst than burning hair mixed with fresh dog shit :icon_vomit:

Anyway the gravity for the batch was apparently 1.053 SG

Good luck with your brew, hope you don't share my bad luck :(

Cheers,

Liam

Hi Guys,

Well I was keen split my cube to brew both a Maibock and a Belgian Dark Strong, but unfortunatly mine contracted an infection in the cube and when I opened it, it smelt worst than burning hair mixed with fresh dog shit :icon_vomit:

Anyway the gravity for the batch was apparently 1.053 SG

Good luck with your brew, hope you don't share my bad luck :(

Cheers,

Liam

I'm underway...I got 1049 with refrac.
Currently boiling 3 pots and loving it.
Betta go

PB

I'm going with an Eisbock which wont be ready for Jan meeting. Boiled down to 12 litres 1.087 and 37 IBU hallertau. presently 1.022.

Biggest problem will be getting temp low enough to take ice off (1st attempt at an Eisbock). Will have to talk to Jye, may need to get some nitrogen from somewhere.

HD

Hey HD,

Check out the EisBock link in my sig for some more details on my Eis. In short I pushed the fermenter up against the fridge element and left the fridge running for about 2 days straight. Ill bring a bottle to the next meeting :D

Just chilling mine.
A little over half went into the kettle with around 4g Southern Cross and was boiled for 4 hours with 200g belgian dark sugar at around 2 hours.
Caramelized 250g dark brown sugar with some sour orange rind and a little of the sour orange juice and into the kettle at around 15 minutes.
35g B Saaz and 2 star anise @5. Remainder of the sour orange juice, around 1100ml total, @5.
Topped up with a little water.

This will be fermented with a belgian yeast.

The remainder was boiled for 60 minutes with around 3g Southern Cross and then topped up with a little water.
This will be fermented with wb06 and then have a pack of frozen Summer Berries and some vanilla sugar added towards the end of primary.

Took me a while to narrow the choices down after reading Radical Brewing which I got for Christmas :)

Your beer sounds awesome Ben,

And you make all those funky beers and you only just got Radical Brewing.

What will we be in for this year......craziness. :D

I've got my Doppelbock fermenting at 10deg...hopefully it'll be ready in time.

I caramelized a portion of the wort also, made some dark candi sugar on the stove and added some dark brown sugar too.

1081 OG, Bittered to 23 IBU Hallertau and did a 600ml starter at 10deg 1:1 wort h20 with s-189.

Can't wait for the January Meeting.

PB

1. How many KG's of Munich I went into the 500L batch?
I've got 125kg in my head for some reason, but I can't say for sure.

2. What was the gravity of your portion of wort ??
I measured mine to be 1051 (@20 degrees C)

3. What is everyone doing with their all Munich wort?
I didn't do anything too fancy with mine. Boiled for 60 minutes down to 17 litres and 1064 SG. Added 30g Perle (8.3%AA) @ 60mins and 47g EKG (4.8%AA) 15mins for roughly 50 IBU.

Fermented with British Ale yeast (WLP005) down to 1018, which is not as far as I wanted, but it didn't seem to want to move beyond that.

Sort of a German/British IPA I guess :)

4. Is it to be ready for the 4th Thursday in January - :unsure: Yikes?
Yeah, I got in early and have been cold-conditioning for three weeks so far. Should be good to go for the end of the month!

FYI - I'm about to attempt a Doppelbock.. :icon_cheers:
Nice, looking forward to trying them all! :beer:
Cheers,
Kris.

Damn, sorry to hear :( . Out of curiosity, how long after the brew day did you open it and find out about the infection?

Cheers,
Kris.

I boiled mine 2 days later with some tett and hallertauer for a bock at around 1.069. Fermented with Wyeast 2633 Octoberfest Blend. Will have lagered for 6 weeks by the time I keg it before the January BABBs.

Cheers - Snow

Remember guys - Bring your kegs/bottles to BABBS next week. Have one bottle labelled up with description (but not your name) for judging by the Eagle Heights Brewery.
There's a very nice prize for the winner, so don't miss out.

The base wort of my Bananaobalma Ale has fermented out - 5kg of sun ripened banana slurry going in tonight along with 110gms of cacao nibs....

Cheers Ross B)

Banana :eek: We are NOT F'n Monkeys........It's not even a wheat beer FFS.

i-)

Yeah, I got in early and have been cold-conditioning for three weeks so far. Should be good to go for the end of the month!

Cold conditioning was a little too effective - I ended up leaving 2 litres of ice behind when transferring to the keg! Not quite an Eis Bock, but certainly moving further away from an IPA.

One week to go!

Cheers,
Kris.

Remember guys - Bring your kegs/bottles to BABBS next week. Have one bottle labelled up with description (but not your name) for judging by the Eagle Heights Brewery.
There's a very nice prize for the winner, so don't miss out.
Cheers Ross B)
What was the outcome? I forgot to ask at the Feb Meeting on Thursday. Or I wasn't listening :huh:

Did the Eagle Heights boys conduct the judging, drinking, fall down session yet?

We need to know if we were all beaten by Ross's chocolate coated Banana-Man beer. :eek:

PB

PB,

They didn't get them tasted in time - winner hopefully announced next meeting.

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back