Babbs Systems Wars For The Qld Homebrewing Conference

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a small vial of "Extract of Pure Naked Blonde" in my lab coat pocket, stolen from Yatala, which I slipped into my brew, giving it irresistible mass-market-appeal ( remember when I shouted "hey look at that helicopter on fire crashed in the car park" )
:ph34r:

Without going through 13 pages of this thread, can anyone let me know if there is info about the recipes that were used? I know they were all ESB's but was it the same recipe used for each system or was the recipe up to the brewer?

Cheers

4 Identical ingredient packs - all grains vac packed and premeasured hop additions in two cups, were prepared at Bacchus Brewing and handed to each contestant. Pocket Beers will have recipe.

Without going through 13 pages of this thread, can anyone let me know if there is info about the recipes that were used? I know they were all ESB's but was it the same recipe used for each system or was the recipe up to the brewer?

Cheers
The Recipe - Fullers ESB BYO British Real Ale (Wheeler)

Same ingredient pack for everyone - Brewday Target @ 75% Efficiency (20L @ 1052 OG)

4kg Maris Otter Pale Ale, 400g Dark Crystal
Single Infusion Temp Rest @ 66oC with Mash Out
14g Target, 7g Challenger, 7g Northdown @ 60min
10g East Kent Goldings & Whirlfloc @ 10min
5g Gypsum in Mash, 2g Gypsum in Boil
Wy1968 London ESB Ale Yeast fermented @ 19oC
All beers No-chilled, pitched, fermented, cold conditioned and filtered together in temp controlled environment
Approx 32 IBUs & 5% ABV, 27 EBC

Hey did anyone get a shot of Liam's T shirt he wore at the conference? It cracked everybody up :lol:

If not I'll post details shortly.

Thanks. Seems the approach was controlled as best it could have been. This makes for a pretty fair comparison between the techniques.

Well Done guys

I got a very crappy pic on my phone, who would have thought these two would hit it off like that......

conference.jpg

cheers

Browndog

Interesting the differences in efficiency and how these affected the ABV. Would that have been a factor in the taste test at all?

These shirts are already on sale from Bonj's store at Redbubble.com

Cheers,

Liam

Does he still do the "No1 male prostitute" one with pricing?
(Sorry can't be assed looking) :huh:

The results...

System Vol(L) OG MashE TotalE FG AA ABV

3V 20.25 1051 78% 75% 1012 76% 5.1%
BIAB 21.75 1042 70% 66%*1009 79% 4.3%
Braum 20.00 1054 83% 78% 1013 76% 5.3%
Ghetto 20.75 1051 78% 76% 1011 78% 5.2%

The volume stated is the Final volume of wort that was tipped out of the cube.
* Would have been approx 73% if boiled down to hit gravity (somewhere in the vicinity of 3L trub was wasted on the day)

The inaugural BABBs Systems Wars trophy is awarded to:

BIAB

Well Done BribieG and BIAB.

Cheers,

PB (Dave Clarke)

Edit: The full presentation with all the photos and system comparisons will be available on the QHC webpage soon.

Well done to you guys in QLD who put so much hard work into this event. These things don't happen without a lot of very hard work.

It's nice to see BIAB being declared a winner but I'm not sure that it should have been. I'm tempted to start a whole new thread on why but maybe it's best if I let you guys deal with it.

Here's my reasoning....

1. Firstly, the reader should regard me as pro-BIAB. (Iam , but I have good reasons for it.)

2. Even though BIAB 'won', I can see serious flaws in the 'war.'

3. The BIAB efficiency into kettle was way below a normal BIAB. Why?

4. In my thinking, you can't compare beers of different original gravities. The beers should have been measured by several people as many times as possible. (One reading means nothing.) The beers should have certainly been diluted to a common ground of the lowest OG before fermentation.

Whilst I personally know that BIAB is a magnificent way of all-grain brewing, this experiment would do nothing to convince me. I don't see it as a 'win' for BIAB. If the experiment was done in the manner I proposed above I would fully expect BIAB to be a winner but I really think on side by sides, original gravity, carefully measured, needs to be the common ground.

And, even if you get the above right, you need to repeat the experiment many times.

The 'wars' are a great idea, fun and interesting but I think a lot more thought needs to be put into them. BIAB and traditional brewing have a lot of things of value to share and, more importantly, investigate.

Spot!
Pat

I really don't think the point was to actually get a winner, just to show how easy it can be to make beer in a variety of ways.

A winner via "I like this better" is never going to prove anything in a once off event.

As you said it was a bit of fun :).

-- I wish I had a chance to do some tasting myself...

Well done to you guys in QLD who put so much hard work into this event. These things don't happen without a lot of very hard work.

It's nice to see BIAB being declared a winner but I'm not sure that it should have been. I'm tempted to start a whole new thread on why but maybe it's best if I let you guys deal with it.

Here's my reasoning....

1. Firstly, the reader should regard me as pro-BIAB. (Iam , but I have good reasons for it.)

2. Even though BIAB 'won', I can see serious flaws in the 'war.'

3. The BIAB efficiency into kettle was way below a normal BIAB. Why?

4. In my thinking, you can't compare beers of different original gravities. The beers should have been measured by several people as many times as possible. (One reading means nothing.) The beers should have certainly been diluted to a common ground of the lowest OG before fermentation.

Whilst I personally know that BIAB is a magnificent way of all-grain brewing, this experiment would do nothing to convince me. I don't see it as a 'win' for BIAB. If the experiment was done in the manner I proposed above I would fully expect BIAB to be a winner but I really think on side by sides, original gravity, carefully measured, needs to be the common ground.

And, even if you get the above right, you need to repeat the experiment many times.

The 'wars' are a great idea, fun and interesting but I think a lot more thought needs to be put into them. BIAB and traditional brewing have a lot of things of value to share and, more importantly, investigate.

Spot!
Pat
Happy to hear from you Pat,
That's a short post for you mate :p
Yes it was a lot of work, but was worth it to showcase brewing to the people that came on the day and at the conference.

1) B)

2) You really cannot split the 2 winning systems as the difference is statistically insignificant, but we had to declare one winner. I did as much as I could to level the playing field to make the differences the system and the brewer only. It wasn't perfect. Everything post cubing was me doing it side by side and the recipe packs were identical for all 4 systems.
The only "flaw" I see was in the tasting part....We just asked everyone to vote on their favourite.....this was to make it easy and fun.....

3) Efficiency means nothing unless you have a very accurate volume and measure the gravity correctly. The volume in the BIAB case was an estimate as the original one I was told was a stuff up. I'm not sure what happened on the day. Note that BIAB was the system that also ended up with too much wort at the end of the boil and had to tip "efficiency down the drain." Just not Bribie's day :(

4) OG's - This was discussed and fleshed out in the planing stages. In the end, to make it about the systems (and brewers), I asked everyone to hit 75% efficiency and to target 20L @ 1052. I really did not expect such a huge difference in OG.
What should have happened on the day - BIAB should have boiled down further to get the gravity....not the other 3 systems watered down.
I am a trained laboratory scientist and did all the measurements until I got 3 identical readings with a hydrometer on all the worts post cubing at the different stages. This made it fairer (and ironed out the bravado factor) IMO.

NOTE: If I had been allocating points in the systems wars for time, technique, accuracy, gravity, education, clothing, humour etc .....the result would have been different....and everyone would have said it was rigged (I brewed on the Braumeiser).

It was too much work to do it every weekend......but we will do more in the future to showcase brewing and have fun which was our original intention....

Dave

I got a very crappy pic on my phone, who would have thought these two would hit it off like that......

View attachment 49851

cheers

Browndog

Cup of tea almost went straight up the nose. I couldn't stop laughing :lol: :lol: :lol:

The shirt is funny enough. The fact that Liam is wearing it - even funnier. The fact that Ross is there smiling in the photo is priceless.

Hi Pat
As I said in another thread, I usually make a 23 - 25L batch and on the day we had to do a 20. So using the marks already on the sight tube of the urn I took a stab at what strike water should give me a 20L batch, and I overshot woefully, ended up with 3L of wort left after the cube was filled. Not an option, really, to keep boiling the guts out of it as the day was already dragging over schedule and Ross and the boys needed to clean up and lock up, they were good enough to put in the extra hours for us and it was their afternoon off.

I'm recalibrating my urn properly now with a dipstick calculator that a guy on the forum provided for Birkos, Crowns etc. and in fact I'm going to rebrew to a proper 20L length as I quite liked the beers sampled on the day of the Conference.

Cheers
Bribie G

PS adjusting for the over-dilution in my case, the four systems all came out at around 73-75 % efficiency which was pleasing because it tends to dispel the "BIAB has lower efficiency" thing, well on this one occasion anyway. :)

Cup of tea almost went straight up the nose. I couldn't stop laughing :lol: :lol: :lol:

The shirt is funny enough. The fact that Liam is wearing it - even funnier. The fact that Ross is there smiling in the photo is priceless.

That is funny. Was the shirt real or photoshopped??

Could this be the next range of AHB merchandise?

tnd

Latest posts

Back