Babbs Systems Wars For The Qld Homebrewing Conference

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkey7

Reaction score
Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers will be battling it out for Ultimate Glory on the 8th October 2011 in a Brewing Systems Wars.

We'll be brewing an ESB on 4 different systems concurrently while discussing all things beer and brewing.

There will be a short presentation and wrap-up of the day and the systems/techniques used at the QLD Homebrewing Conference and of course "The blind taste-off" and result review.

If you can't make it to the conference on November 5th or you are just curious about all the systems or want to get involved on the day, you are most welcome to show up at Craftbrewer/Bacchus Brewing @ Unit 1, 2 Christine Place Capalaba.

We plan to mash in at around 10am, so we'll be going until 3-4pm ish.....

Representing in the 4 corners we have:

BribieG on BIAB
Bradsbrew on Traditional 3 Vessel
Ross and PocketBeers on the Braumeister (thanks for the instructions Florian)
Browndog on a thrown together bits & Pieces Ghetto System

Should be a fun day :p

Who will take out the Systems Wars???

PB

No HERMS..... You guys are so biased!

You need some assistants Brad?
Daz and I can 'help' :)

You need some assistants Brad?
Daz and I can 'help' :)

Wouldn't be a brewday without your 'assistance' Winkle. You can help Ross clean my mash tun. :p Should be a good day.

Cheers

The fly sparging 3V guy maybe. I'm thinking Bribie will be done by 1.30. :ph34r:
We'll probably all be done by 2 with everything setout, weighed, cracked and heated.......but I reckon we might need a buffer 1 or 2hrs in case of any mishaps :lol:

We'll probably all be done by 2 with everything setout, weighed, cracked and heated.......but I reckon we might need a buffer 1 or 2hrs in case of any mishaps :lol:

What, like boil-overs - that'll never happen. B)

I think this will work out perfectly for me. I have been meaning to go out and buy a BIAB setup from Ross. This will give me a good chance to watch the various approaches and confirm that BIAB is the one for me. Given that the guys will likely be too busy to deal with all my questions about BIAB on the day I might have to buy one more FWK while I'm there and then go out the following Saturday to purchase. What a pity - another 2 trips to CB. :lol:

Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers will be battling it out for Ultimate Glory on the 8th October 2011 in a Brewing Systems Wars.

We'll be brewing an ESB on 4 different systems concurrently while discussing all things beer and brewing.

There will be a short presentation and wrap-up of the day and the systems/techniques used at the QLD Homebrewing Conference and of course "The blind taste-off" and result review.

If you can't make it to the conference on November 5th or you are just curious about all the systems or want to get involved on the day, you are most welcome to show up at Craftbrewer/Bacchus Brewing @ Unit 1, 2 Christine Place Capalaba.

We plan to mash in at around 10am, so we'll be going until 3-4pm ish.....

Representing in the 4 corners we have:

BribieG on BIAB
Bradsbrew on Traditional 3 Vessel
Ross and PocketBeers on the Braumeister (thanks for the instructions Florian)
Browndog on a thrown together bits & Pieces Ghetto System

Should be a fun day :p

Who will take out the Systems Wars???

PB

Carn 3V :beerbang: :party:

As the day approaches, and my lab coat is at the cleaners, a couple of issues (might as well make these public - transparency and all that)

Will the water be treated appropriate to style, or should I bring along some salts? I suppose it should be equal across the systems.

As part of my process I use BrewBright as the kettle floccer. Now it's not an ingredient, as it won't be in the finished beer, it's part of my floccing process. I regard it as analogous to other guys' processes that might involve "forming a grain bed" or "halting sparging at 1010" whatever. If there's any grey area here I'm more than happy to bring along enough for the other brewers as well.
I realise everyone has their own pet procedure - just offering.

:icon_cheers:

Carn 3V :beerbang: :party:

With the kids and misses up the Bunya mountains for a couple of days thought I might take some time to practice. I normally do triple batches so its like learning how to use my rig all over again :huh: . Add in the fact that I have just added a second pump and some dodgy plumbing.
Can't guarantee it will be pretty but hopefully it should produce a good beer for the conference.

Cheers

Can anyone attend this or do you need to be a BABBs member? Also, can I make an online order and pick it up on the day?

As the day approaches, and my lab coat is at the cleaners, a couple of issues (might as well make these public - transparency and all that)

Will the water be treated appropriate to style, or should I bring along some salts? I suppose it should be equal across the systems.

As part of my process I use BrewBright as the kettle floccer. Now it's not an ingredient, as it won't be in the finished beer, it's part of my floccing process. I regard it as analogous to other guys' processes that might involve "forming a grain bed" or "halting sparging at 1010" whatever. If there's any grey area here I'm more than happy to bring along enough for the other brewers as well.
I realise everyone has their own pet procedure - just offering.

Bribie I am pretty sure Dave has added some salts to the recipe for the day. We all have to stick to the same ingredients so it comes back to the method used when the beers are blind tasted.
I am happy to use what ever, as long as we all use it.

Cheers

Can anyone attend this or do you need to be a BABBs member? Also, can I make an online order and pick it up on the day?

No, Bacchus brewing will be fenced off with razor wire and a temporary machine gun tower in the corner of the car park :eek:

If you get in during normal trading hours I'm sure you'll be fine. We're just going to be like the clowns or petting zoo at the shopping mall, stroll over and have a look at what's going on :p

No, Bacchus brewing will be fenced off with razor wire and a temporary machine gun tower in the corner of the car park :eek:

If you get in during normal trading hours I'm sure you'll be fine. We're just going to be like the clowns or petting zoo at the shopping mall, stroll over and have a look at what's going on :p
Electricfied razor wire is even better

The more the merrier!

Anyone welcome to come down for a chat a sticky-beak and a laugh :)

ALL ingredients will provided..Gypsum + Redlands water, grain, hops yeast, Whirlfloc, yeast nutrient etc...

Just bring your systems, your experience, your enthusiasm and your humour.

Cubes provided, but you may need to BYO a fermentor.....

Should be a top day....

PB

I'm a tentative yes to come down and help heckle watch on the day. I would imagine my attendance will hinge on how much trouble Oktoberfest brings this Saturday... <_<

Cheers

Let's throw a FWK in just for fun :eek:

Paul

Latest posts

Back