Babbs Systems Wars For The Qld Homebrewing Conference

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Braumeister is a RIMS Winkle........Chappo should bring his HERMS and we'd have a full set.

<in his best iron chef voice> Today, folks, we have a 6 way vessel brewing battle. Stainless steel chef Bribie-san with his Crown Urn Brew in a Bag system... who gets it, whose beer reigns supreme.

</iron chef voice>

Just sayin' :D

Goomba

"What!
The Sabco!
Nobody's brewing on the Sabco!
I just shampooed the ball valves"

(or words to that effect.)

The shop Sabco looked to be undergoing a refit when I was there last weekend, had no vessels. :eek:
The MaxiBIAB apparatus fits in a car boot with ease (even my tiny beep beep) and the gas camping stove is just enough to boil the kettle. In fact, its much like a Braumeister- sits up proudly in the front seat all strapped in safely while the kids all pile in the back! ;) Anyway, it was suggested and discussed briefly but four rigs seemed to be enough shenanigans for the purposes of the event, however maybe I'll bring it along anyway, knock one out in the car park in protest! :D

Don't forget the resulting beers are intended to be served at the conference later, so the more systems the more mechanics of getting those beers to everyone for a side by side tasting.
Even 4 beers will be a stretch so adding more to the brew day, although fun for all involved, will make things a bit more difficult down the line...

... Anyway, it was suggested and discussed briefly but four rigs seemed to be enough shenanigans for the purposes of the event, however maybe I'll bring it along anyway, knock one out in the car park in protest! :D

Maybe consider it for a future vessel-wars. It'd be fantastic, though I understand that a short-notice organisation makes it difficult. :(

Seriously - it's got to be done. B)

The whole idea of vessel-wars/system-wars is, in part, to show that good beer doesn't always need large amounts of expensive equipment (though said equipment does make brewing easier in a lot of aspects). Also, it shows how theory of mashing, sparging, boiling, hop additions and chilling applies in practice and over a wide variety of apparati (?).

Instead, you have a situation where someone, with $40-$50 bucks worth of readily available stuff (at its most expensive) can knock out a good batch of AG beer. Even Bribie's crown urn, cheap as it is, can't do this (though again, it's easier to use).

If I'm a newbie, this appeals to me, because the ability to select one's entry point (price, and equipment) is a major factor in going toward AG. In fact, I'd be pretty confident in saying that if it weren't for BIAB, some newer 3V brewers mightn't be there. BIAB, especially cheaply, breaks down barriers.

So having the stovetop method/maxi BIAB is another demonstrator that, if you down have $300 to buy an urn and bag, you can still AG. And that the theory and knowledge of how it applies is the most important factor in brewing beer.

Just a couple of thoughts. Either way, I think it's a fantastic idea for BABBs to do and shows the sense of community and openness that we have up here. :beer:

Goomba

The shop Sabco looked to be undergoing a refit when I was there last weekend, had no vessels. :eek:
The MaxiBIAB apparatus fits in a car boot with ease (even my tiny beep beep) and the gas camping stove is just enough to boil the kettle. In fact, its much like a Braumeister- sits up proudly in the front seat all strapped in safely while the kids all pile in the back! ;) Anyway, it was suggested and discussed briefly but four rigs seemed to be enough shenanigans for the purposes of the event, however maybe I'll bring it along anyway, knock one out in the car park in protest! :D

That's what they say. What they mean is "OMG, what if Stovetop Maxi-BIAB wins the system wars?" Bit like America not letting Cuba and Japan into the "World Series". :p

That's what they say. What they mean is "OMG, what if Stovetop Maxi-BIAB wins the system wars?" Bit like America not letting Cuba and Japan into the "World Series". :p

Nick, I'm doing a ghetto brew mashing in a fermenter and boiling in a 20L mayonnaise pail, so I'll be doing a concentrated boil (somewhat stovetop like) they are going to have egg on their faces if I get the gong. Picks of the rig this arvo.

cheers

Browndog

Did you end up getting your kettle element working Tony?

Yeah, I\'m not part of the organising committee and the event is in their hands, plus I was really planning on coming along as a spectator, so I\'m only winding up in this particular discussion. AFAIK, the focus is really about the brewers and their own skills, not so much the actual equipment, so there\'s an abundance of that lined up for the event. And as browndog points out, ghetto is covered! :super:
However, you\'re right LRG, there\'s loads of folks out there that can\'t drop hundreds of dollars on kit, let alone thousands (I for one know that I can\'t), but don\'t really know where to get started or that there\'s an el- cheapo entry point to get their all- grain shenanigans underway. For a future event, I\'d be chuffed to see Maxi or a kitchen alternative alongside other systems as an awareness and informational resource, hope one day that can eventuate. :icon_cheers:

That\'s what they say. What they mean is \"OMG, what if Stovetop Maxi-BIAB wins the system wars?\" Bit like America not letting Cuba and Japan into the \"World Series\". :p
I love a good, old- fashioned conspiracy theory Nick! But perhaps if that scenario did eventuate (and doofus here actually completed the job without a major spill or SNAFU), really all that would be demonstrated is that Maxi, and by extension just about every damn kitchen the world over, can produce top shelf beer- which has already been established! B)

.... For a future event, I'd be chuffed to see Maxi or a kitchen alternative alongside other systems as an awareness and informational resource, hope one day that can eventuate. :icon_cheers:

Absolutely. Given the whole point of these things is education and sharing of knowledge (rather than making AG brewing an "exclusive fraternity"), it'd be a fantastic idea.

Some people are visual people and would rather see it being done, than read about it (notwithstanding the fact that Nick's stovetop thread has a kazillion hits and has put many on the path).

Goomba

Shaved a couple of hours off the brewday on run No.2 of Braumeister.......
Had a great brewday once I got the crush and environment sorted.

Heading off to taste IPA's all night.... :D Have a cube in the boot.

PB

Future BABBS BIABS War ;)

Braumeister vs 40L Crown Urn BIAB vs Maxi-BIAB 19L pot vs Dual Mini-BIAB 2x19L

Here is the ghetto rig, one fermenter doubles as a mash tun with the piece of conduit drilled with holes as a manifold and one Liam Ahearn signature series 20L bucket of death with a 2400W kettle element as a HLT and kettle. Can't get much simpler than that.

DSC03335.JPG

Bring it on.

Browndog

Nick I could not get the 25L bucket to boil with the 1800W element and so stole Liam's BoD and roped him in to help too.

Here is the ghetto rig, one fermenter doubles as a mash tun with the piece of conduit drilled with holes as a manifold and one Liam Ahearn signature series 20L bucket of death with a 2400W kettle element as a HLT and kettle. Can't get much simpler than that.
Feck it, where do you guys keep getting those authentic Kraft mayo tubs from? I've been after one of those for yonks, searched everywhere! Oh wait, its Liam's own personal BoD, probably only breaks it out for 'special occasions'! :D

do you want to borrow my 9" false bottom for the day?

Oh wait, its Liam's own personal BoD, probably only breaks it out for 'special occasions'! :D

..ahh! so the secret ingredient those boys have been winning all the awards with is plastic! :eek:

hot diggy! im off to smash my glass fermenters...

sim

Thats surprising Tony! I had my HLT with 30 odd L in it boiling on my last brew day (had my temp controller set to 99C for some reason - brain fart most likely!).....

Oh well, as long as it all works. Keen to have a look at all the rigs on Saturday!

Cheers

do you want to borrow my 9" false bottom for the day?

That's way too high tech for us ghetto boys Bribie, but if you could bring your over the side element just in case, that would be awesome.

I'm using my new OTS but I also bought one second hand off Batz, so I'll bring that as well . Now that IS Ghetto :lol:

Back