Babbs 2011 Mash Paddle "pumpkin Beer"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Putting the finishing touches on my recipes with a view to brewing them this weekend.
Ordered some more rice gulls just in case...

Well,

I've made a Pumpkin Pie spiced ale.

I've tasted another members spiced Pumpkin ale.

I've spoken to 2 other brewers from the club who have had a crack too (no details on their style direction).

All 4 brewers tried different ideas and techniques (and amounts) of Pumpkin to reach there final beers.

We should be able to fire up a reasonable conversation about what we have learned, throw up some photos of the brewdays and or final beers.

Or are you all hiding your secrets to take out the Mash Paddle? :ph34r:

I'm sure PPL are sick of hearing from me.....but if noone else bites...I'll have to hit you with my 90 photos :lol:

Anyone?

PB

Edit: I'm planning another one soon. Maybe a Darker beer...or wait....Pilsner......
Following what most people have done I plan a cereal mash, or something similar, and I'm definitely using rice gulls.
Both beers will have pumpkin in the mash, and at least one will definitely have it in secondary as well, maybe both.

I'll try and remember to take some photos...

I've decided to go a little left field on this, although I still may make a 'traditional' style pumpkin pie beer at some point because I do want to...

I'm making a 'Pumpkin Scone' Beer and a beer that I will be calling 'Pumpkinickel' (TM :)...) based on the ingredients in pumpernickel bread.

Basically a pumpkin wit, using flour and sugar (I'll keep the eggs out I think) as per pumpkin scones.
The other will be a dark rye/wheat beer, molasses, possibly a little spices.

No idea if I'm going to pull it off but I have reasonably confidence in the base beers so we'll see :)

So the Pumpkin Scone Beer (a pumpkin wit) is fermenting away.

I roasted up the pumpkin before hand and added some to the mash.
View attachment 44775

I'll also go some in secondary.

Recipe: Pumpkin Scone Beer
Brewer: Mooshells
Asst Brewer:
Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 16.00 L
Boil Size: 21.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 16.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1000.00 gm White Flour (5.9 EBC) Adjunct 29.41 %
1500.00 gm Bohemian Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 44.12 %
500.00 gm Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 14.71 %
30.00 gm Strisslespalt [3.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.4 IBU
1500.00 gm Pumpkin (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
400.00 gm Raw Sugar (3.9 EBC) Sugar 11.76 %
1 Pkgs Safwheat (DCL Yeast #WB06) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Almost Cereal Mash
Total Grain Weight: 3000.00 gm
----------------------------
Almost Cereal Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Beta Glucan Add 5.64 L of water at 49.6 C 45.0 C
30 min Protein Rest Add 5.01 L of water at 68.5 C 55.0 C
45 min Sach Add 4.38 L of water at 84.5 C 63.0 C

Here's what a gummy flour, pumpkin and rice gull beta glucan mash looks like
View attachment 44776

The Pumpkinkinckel Dark Rye/Wheat beer is about to go on the boil

Recipe: Pumpkinknickel
Brewer: Mooshells
Asst Brewer:
Style: Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 16.00 L
Boil Size: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 38.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 24.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
500.00 gm Bourghul - Cracked (5.9 EBC) Adjunct 13.16 %
1150.00 gm Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 30.26 %
1000.00 gm Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 26.32 %
950.00 gm Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 25.00 %
100.00 gm Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) (482.7 EBC) Grain 2.63 %
100.00 gm Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (817.6 EBC) Grain 2.63 %
10.00 gm Northern Brewer [11.40 %] (60 min) Hops 18.2 IBU
20.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [5.20 %] (10 min)Hops 6.0 IBU
200.00 ml Molasses (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
2300.00 gm Pumpkin (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs French Saison (Seasonal) (Wyeast Labs #371Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 3800.00 gm
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 12.00 L of water at 71.3 C 66.0 C

Racked mine to secondary today as there was a lot of stuff at the bottom, above the tap level...

Both are nice tasting and I think will be good once carbed but definitely not a lot of real pumpkin character perhaps.
The pumpkin in secondary imparted almost no colour to the 'Pumpkin Scone' Beer, I might have to resort to colouring :)

Much the same result here, very little colour contribution, but I like the spice, balances things nicely.

Screwy

Much the same result here, very little colour contribution, but I like the spice, balances things nicely.

Screwy
You guys mustn't have used 6kg of pumpkin.....orange beer.
IMG_2687__Large_.jpg

PB :icon_cheers:

Holy shit, 6KG?! I've been looking at using a min of 2KG in a single batch and can't work out how I'll get everything to fit in my 33L tun. What size batch are you running, PB?

Holy shit, 6KG?! I've been looking at using a min of 2KG in a single batch and can't work out how I'll get everything to fit in my 33L tun. What size batch are you running, PB?
Bum, I only have a converted 30L fermenter as a mash tun and I got 2.3kgs for a 18L batch in easily.

6kg grain + 6 kg pumpkin (3 varieties) = 22L of 6.8% Triple Pumpkin Pie Ale (100L mash tun so plenty of room)

PB

6kg grain + 6 kg pumpkin (3 varieties) = 22L of 6.8% Triple Pumpkin Pie Ale (100L mash tun so plenty of room)

PB

Geez, makes the 1 kg I used look very lame....

Bum, I only have a converted 30L fermenter as a mash tun and I got 2.3kgs for a 18L batch in easily.
Ah, cool. I was just picturing the pumpkin, about 5kg of grain and a fair whack of gulls making for a pretty stiff mash.

These brews are really interesting, guys. Keep the posts coming.

Ah, cool. I was just picturing the pumpkin, about 5kg of grain and a fair whack of gulls making for a pretty stiff mash.

These brews are really interesting, guys. Keep the posts coming.
You'll see the picture above of my first one. It had flour, grain, pumpkin and rice gulls, and very little water as I did a step infusion mash for my different rests...
Mixing that first one was a bitch as it was just wet enough to gum up but not wet enough to really stir easily...

Racked a Brown Ale onto cooked and roasted pumpkin last night... considering adding some spices tonight, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar... but a bit tentative.

Pumpkin Beers are due at the April meeting on the 28th......

There's still just enough time to brew one if you forgot.

The winner of the BABBs 2011 Mash Paddle will be announced at our May meeting after we do the Pumpkin Beer mini-comp.

Bring along a spare bottle of each of your Pumpkin Beers to the April meeting and we'll make sure they get posted and entered into the home-brewed beer competition at the Goomeri Pumpkin Festival.

Goomeri Pumpkin Festival Linky

Cheers

PB (Dave)

PS - Here's what I did tonight....... Should I make Soup or Beer?

IMG_3053__Large_.jpg

NickB and I sampled a few of my version last nite, hopefully Nick caught the last train home or he'll still be walking B)
Verdict - alright but not fantastic.

Tried mine Friday... If i didn't know, i'd have no idea there was pumpkin in there at all. Should have added more and spiced a bit heavier.

Tried mine Friday... If i didn't know, i'd have no idea there was pumpkin in there at all. Should have added more and spiced a bit heavier.

Thanks to the BABBS boys for including this style, quite obviously some of us brewers need to expand our boundaries. This is probably the most brave step I've made in brewing, bit of a mainstream old fart :lol:

We have a lot to learn when it comes to brewing pumpkin beers. Really keen to see what some of the others turn out!!!!!!! Especially the ones who are keeping................ weeeeelie weeeelie qwiet!

Screwy

Back