B.a.r. Brew Aug/sep

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heya all,

I'm back from the land of ladyboys, humidity and ridiculously cheap beer, with all morals still well intact (although the bucks night is remembered a bit like the night club strobe lights - in flashes with nothing in between :beerbang: )

I've not even thought about this beer until now. Pretty sure I have all I need except the yeast, so I might get a cube done over the weekend. Lecterfern, you happy if I swing by with a vial for a couple of ml for me to step up??

Lecterfern, you happy if I swing by with a vial for a couple of ml for me to step up??

If not and no stores open I have some small vials from the latest starter thanks to Herbo.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Morals intact :lol:

Yep, well I've built up a reasonable starter that is starting to show some signs of vigorous activity today - I can easily draw off some of that for you (as I am building up another 500mls of it today probably). I will be home most of today and all of Sunday (when I will be brewing the stout)...tomorrow becomes a bit trickier though.

I have a couple of hundred mls sitting aside for mesa99 also so I'll just draw some off for you also (or if you want to take up BP's option let me know - ).

Good to know you are back safe and sound...now need to rest the body for the 9th haha!

Cheers.

Thanks Lecterfern, if you can put aside a bit for me I'll collect on Sunday just after mash in :lol: . Will text you before hand.

BP - thanks for the offer :icon_cheers:

I'll collect on Sunday just after mash in :lol:

I'll be in reg grundies and a singlet - that'll be 7.30am or something haha!

All good, I'll be home all day and cracking the first ESB around noon I'd reckon...

I've had to sub in some golden promise instead of all maris otter as the base....yep, I've used up my first 25kg bag of maris otter! Such a proud moment in a young mans life...now I need another bulk buy

oops - I hit 1.060, ah well...alls fair in love and war. Half of the batch was done to specification, the other half done to a higher IBU with wy 1084 instead, this way I get a double comparison: yours vs min vs mine to see what the differences are...

Any of you guys got a final gravity on this yet?

Mine has been in the fermenting fridge for about 12 days now and I can't seem to get it any lower than 1.022. Have been rousing the thing by swirling and a gentle stir every day for the last 4 or 5 but can't get it any lower.

Anyone manged better than 1.022 with this recipe?

These were the grains I used:
Roasted Barley (Simpsons) 4.1 %
Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) 4.1 %
Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) 7.0 %
Chocolate Malt (Simpsons) 7.0 %
Oats, Flaked (quick oats) 9.7 %
Pale Malt, Maris Otter 68.2 %

Made a 1 litre 1968 starter.

Bring the temperature up to 22 and stir at least twice a day as it is a give up the ghost floccer that just wants to drop out of suspension. Attenuation is on the low side at 65-67-70. What was your OG?

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Mine is still at 1022 as well. Started at 1060. I cant raise the temp without removing the lid, so I will just let it sit.

Bring the temperature up to 22 and stir at least twice a day as it is a give up the ghost floccer that just wants to drop out of suspension. Attenuation is on the low side at 65-67-70. What was your OG?

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Pete, OG was 1.056, so I've got about 60% attenuation at the moment. Will ramp up the stirring until the weekend and do another hydro test then.

Mine (double batch) started at 1.060 - 1968 brew currently down to 1.022, 1084 brew down to 1.018. Primary ferment is over but I've given the 1968 another swirl today so it should get down to 1.020 at least (and I reckon the 1084 will pull down another couple of points as well).

I'm shitty with myself as on day two I ramped up the temp a bit and I think I let it get a touch too warm (fridge at about 20c ambient but with the sizzling yeast activity I suspect the brew itself probably got to at least 22c or 23c) as there are some fruitier esthers that aren't particularly unpleasant, but not as clean as I was hoping for.

Anyways, I'm happy to wait this one out, the yeast will clean up after itself a bit no doubt and a few weeks in the bottle should see it turn into a decent (but not spectacular) beer.

Hello Herbo,
My stout has been in the fermenter 6 days. OG was 1.058 and I just measured it now and it is 1.016. I used a 1 litre starter I made from some slurry left over from the ESB I brought along to the Gong. I haven't roused it at all. I pitched the starter when the wort was 17C and it has been at a constant 20C since.
Cheers
billygoat

Hello Herbo,
My stout has been in the fermenter 6 days. OG was 1.058 and I just measured it now and it is 1.016. I used a 1 litre starter I made from some slurry left over from the ESB I brought along to the Gong. I haven't roused it at all. I pitched the starter when the wort was 17C and it has been at a constant 20C since.
Cheers
billygoat

some good stats there billygoat. I wish mine went like that, 1.016 would be just fine with me. I was sick of rousing and stirring after day 1!

I did one rouse and that was it. Not looking for any more involvement than that :lol:

Seriously, I'm not stressing as most of my gear including hydros, refractometers, kegging gear, etc. are all packed away still. I'll have to dig out the bottling tree, caps and capper so I can get something to bring.

I have lost some of my aquarium heaters. I only have the one which is dedicated to this brew. That leaves my stir plate out of action waiting for 2 new ones from China to come.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

mine still hasn't been brewed :( Looking like it will be at least another week and a half before I'll get a chance to as well. Not too fussed as I think I still have time on my side!

mine still hasn't been brewed :( Looking like it will be at least another week and a half before I'll get a chance to as well. Not too fussed as I think I still have time on my side!

You are not on your own mate, none of the 3 Buninyong brewers have started theirs yet :ph34r:

For those that haven't started a reminder to adjust water for cooking oats if you pre geletanise them. I had visitors over looking, taking photos, asking questions and being distracting but in a good way and I am pretty sure now that the wife grabbed and cooked the oats trying to help out. No idea how may litres of water she used.

My non oat stout wort came out of the boil tasting nice but has not been fermented yet as I'm currently building up 3 yo Scottish Ale on the stir plate and its 1/2 a week away at the earliest to pitching.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Can't remember if we made a specific date for this?? Reckon we should make a date. I'll go out on a limb and suggest August 27, 28 or Sept 10 or 11. Footy is done for me by then, looking forward to it.

Do these suit?

I don't think we have a venue yet either, do we? Going to be very hard to top the Billygoat bar that was the last venue! My place is better for summer, house is very small and cold everywhere else.

I think my oatmeal stout is ready to crack open, might try the first one this weekend.

Can't remember if we made a specific date for this?? Reckon we should make a date. I'll go out on a limb and suggest August 27, 28 or Sept 10 or 11. Footy is done for me by then, looking forward to it.

Do these suit?

I don't think we have a venue yet either, do we? Going to be very hard to top the Billygoat bar that was the last venue! My place is better for summer, house is very small and cold everywhere else.

I think my oatmeal stout is ready to crack open, might try the first one this weekend.

BUMPING this sucker up - lets make a date fellas. Any of them is good for me, I don't care where it is, I offered my joint but only to share the load, I can get a fire cranking in the backyard or whatever (more than happy to go anywhere else though). I think the later the better so that everyone has a chance to brew and bottle and then let it carb up a bit so we can actually taste a few on the day. I have both the 1968 and 1084 versions of this bottled now so in 4 weeks (mnm) I will have a good comparision of yeasts also....

Latest posts

Back