B.a.r. Brew Aug/sep

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just let me know. Otherwise I'll store them away for my own future use!

I'm good for 1968 at the moment, cheers.

I will be getting a 1084 and a 1272 (when my obsession with reculutured coopers ends - one more batch using chinook instead of POR methinks) soon though, so I extend the same offer to everyone...

I will be getting a 1084 and a 1272 (when my obsession with reculutured coopers ends - one more batch using chinook instead of POR methinks) soon though, so I extend the same offer to everyone...

1084 sounds tempting been meaning to do an Irish Ale.

Lecter, you seem to be brewing everyday lately. You're a machine :drinks:

I think your hobby may be turning to an addiction :ph34r:

1084 sounds tempting been meaning to do an Irish Ale.

Lecter, you seem to be brewing everyday lately. You're a machine :drinks:

I think your hobby may be turning to an addiction :ph34r:

Haha -no, it's been a minimum of once a week for the last few weeks. Part of the problem with having all this grain lying around...

I'm thinking for this stout of doing a double batch, but using 1084, some cocoa and a higher IBU in one of them so I effectively can get two (slightly) different stouts.

And since being a full time Uni student and devoted beer drinker I've discovered AG brewing isn't a hobby, it is a lifestyle choice. :beerbang:

Guys,

I will soon have a Wyeast 1968 liquid yeast. When using these I split them in 3 and use a third for the brew I'm doing immediately (stepping it up to a one litre starter), the other 2 thirds I pour into sterilised jars for later use.

If anyone's interested in using the same technique we could go thirds, saves on the cost of yeast <_<

Just let me know. Otherwise I'll store them away for my own future use!

herbo I will go thirds, that would be great.

Righto Vic45 and Brewer Pete, I'll let you know when I have the yeast on hand. All going well it should be ready to go this Sunday. I think I'll have a crack at this stout then.

BP, if you end up not needing any 1968, I'll just save it - so no probs if you find an alternative.

Dam, I missed out on some 1968.

Sept is better for me as I've usually slow going.

I think I grabbed the latest list and didn't cut any one off.

1. 2 bottles for tasting on the day
2.Wakkatoo
3.vic45
4. Lecterfan - still happy to host but not fussed - aiming for late Aug/early Sep
5. billygoat
6. herbo
7. Beastie
8. Mesa99

Young feller me lad there will be plenty of 1968 flying around the place. I'm going to step mine up so I can step it up to 2L and you can take 500mls to build up of your own if you're desperate!

I'm going to do a double batch of this one so I can try a different yeast and different hop in one.
:D

Made the wort for this on the weekend, BIAB style. Have been using a BIAB "sheet" for a while now rather than a bag. Learnt on the weekend why a bag might be a better idea. One edge of the sheet fell into the wort and about two thirds of the grain bill escaped into the boiler. Had to spend a good 45 mins scooping it out with a strainer :angry:

Might have to redesign the sheet, not a fan of stitching though so might just add some loops.

Managed to salvage it I think. Lost a litre or two because I couldn't squeeze out the grain, still almost managed to fill the no-chill cube. OG was 1056 on the refrac, but I don't trust that all of time so might do a hydro before a add the yeast. It's pretty dark wort, certainly the darkest I have made.

The 1968 pack has swelled and I'm just about to split it into 3 into sterile jars.

So does this make Sept the next meetup? That seems like ages away. Bloody ages in fact.

No, it makes the stout swap'n'sample in September.

July and August lay open before us like an eviscerated cadaver...waiting for someone to suggest something.

Hi gents, just brewed up my batch on Saturday. Its busy bubbling away but no sign of krausen. Has anybody else had this issue with this brew? and will it be a problem?

I don't know yet. I have been building up 1968 from Herbo in my stir-plate system and have not pitched yet. SWMBO was at home during the day and said the stir-plate flask had krausen in it, but that's a highly oxygenated environment.

If I get time tonight (prays) I will be able to sanitise the fermenter and set up a heat system in the garage and get it up to temp and pitch the yeast and give it go to make it in time for bottling.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Hi gents, just brewed up my batch on Saturday. Its busy bubbling away but no sign of krausen. Has anybody else had this issue with this brew? and will it be a problem?

1968 is notorious for flocculating out really quickly, when I was building the starter for this one I could clearly see much larger flocculated pieces of yeast than normal.

My Oatmeal Stout had Krausen one day and then gone the next, you might have missed yours?? 1968 seems to often get stuck at 1.020 gravity, last time I used it I was giving fermenter a bit of swirl every day to get the yeast back into suspension again, that got the gravity down some more. I've been doing the swirl thing this time, haven't taken a hydro sample yet though.

My advice would be to take a hydro to see where it's at and if it's not low enough give the fermenter a gentle swirl to get the yeast into suspension again.

Thanks Herbo,

Will do that when I get home and post the result.

Just checked and hydrometer reading is 1024 down from 1060. It tasted ok as well, very thick though. :)

YOu fellas are making me feel slack.

I've taken the starter yeast out of the fridge this morning, but won't build it up until tomorrow. I suspect I'll be putting this one down this weekend now that exams are behind me.

Don't be afraid to rouse 1968! I usually "double drop" with this one now as well, but as I'm doing a double batch I will just give each fermenter a good hard thrashing 12-16 hours after first pitching, and then a gentle rouse every 24 hours or so after that. I'm interested to see side by side how 1084 and 1968 behave in the same beer in different fermenters.

And they're off!
IMG_4728.JPG

1968 London ESB Ale all farmed up and pitched :)

1728 Scottish Ale settling out and patiently waiting for me to get a spare fermenter from Bunnings (only place open tomorrow night after I get off the train) so it will get pitched tomorrow.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

And they're off!
View attachment 46760

1968 London ESB Ale all farmed up and pitched :)

1728 Scottish Ale settling out and patiently waiting for me to get a spare fermenter from Bunnings (only place open tomorrow night after I get off the train) so it will get pitched tomorrow.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Hey Pete,
at the risk of getting a "derr, Scottish ale" sort of answer, what do you generally use the 1728 for? And how does it behave? (say in comparison to British top croppers or wy1084 for eg)...what else could you get away with using it in?

Yes, I can read the wy website but anecdotal brewer experience is more fun...

Its all I had at the time, got it from a neighbouring farm! So it was on the list, its good for any high gravities in your ale recipe books and gets all up in the esters with warm temps up at the 23s range and is good flocculation. Of course, Scottish Ale is good for any Scottish Ale recipe :p 1968 needs a rest/rousing so it should be a lot less work.

I drank the original left over starter wort before I found my stir plate and got it out to build a big fresh starter as seen above in the picture. I liked it so I will use it a bit more and see how it goes.

I did originally try to play Jesus with some WLP300 from 2009. If I had the week to spare with the stir plate I could have witnessed the resurrection and see water turned into wine...erm beer! but I needed the stir plate so I'll just wait until I can find some 3068 or more WLP300 from somewhere and start to farm on it.

EDIT: If you look at the picture, the wort content was originally 2L. So that gives me 50 billion yeast cells. If you trust Mr. Malty then I really should be using 203 billion cells for the pitching or in other words I basically need a 10L flask or my two 5's and 2L of actual yeast cells :blink: if that isn't a sell for large flasks and powerful stir plates ;)

Note: Assuming a safe 10^8 cells per mL, if I get close to 275m/mL with 25C and full stirring aeration then I am not far off my mark, only by 60 billion or so.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Don't worry Lecterfan, I can't put this on for at least a couple of weeks. I've some pre-crushed grain for a Vienna lager from G&G that I must use up before I do the stout.

I have time.... right? right!

Latest posts

Back