B.a.r. Brew Aug/sep

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't make those dates because of work, and footy will still be on for me.
I have the stout bottled and also a 9 litre keg that I have been drinking from the hand pump. Very nice and smooth.
Cheers

Should we be looking at early/mid October given the footy scenario with quite a few of you?

Local footy (ie-Central Highlands) finishes on the 10th September so I would be ok for the 11th September, now that I have checked my calender.

Yep, Central Highlands does finish on the 10th, but that is the Grand Final, I think you're being a little optimistic there Billygoat! :p

I vote for September the 11th.

So you guys are going to be right to drink beer the day after the grand final? Sure? :rolleyes:

I do the running for the magoos, and if we get a couple of players back we may be thereabouts. The seniors have no hope. Plus my daughters netball team will be playing finals. I go to the grand final anyway, even if we don't have any teams playing on the day.

I do the running for the magoos, and if we get a couple of players back we may be thereabouts. The seniors have no hope. Plus my daughters netball team will be playing finals. I go to the grand final anyway, even if we don't have any teams playing on the day.

Was just stirring you mate re the Grand Final. I would certainly much rather your team in there than some of the others, especially that one that starts with 'H'.

Any day (although the sooner the better as I might not have any left if we wait too long) and anywhere is fine by me. Not sure my place is ok for a cold day, especially after Billygoats set up has put me to shame. Although If you are happy having it outside, with a bonfire I am happy to have it at mine.

(although the sooner the better as I might not have any left if we wait too long)

Going down allright is it Beastie?

Haven't tried mine yet, only bottled 6 days ago.

September 11 is a goer for me.

Yep Vic45 quite nice, trouble is I am running out of other beers and might end up with nothing other to drink. It never got below 1020 though, bottled it about 3 weeks ago and still fairly under carbonated.

September 11 is fine by me as well.

All in favour of Sep 11?

Aye...

Beastie: my 1968 only got to 1.020 but my 1084 version (same batch - mashed a double) got to 1.014. Billygoat got his down to 1.012 or something. I put it down to my 1968 starter coming from an older sample thus I should have built it into a larger than normal starter.

sept 11 works for me. Might be off to see the saints play but won't know that until the week leading up to it. In other news I FINALLY ordered the rest of the stuff I need for this beer and I'm brewing it at the end of next week. So it will be very young for the swap, but . ah well, what can ya do!

Looking forward to catching up fellas.

I can make Sept 11. I will probably only just have the Oatmeal Stout in bottles by then due to my own lack of time. Never the less, we can always do the swap for sampling at a later date.

Have we decided on a location? I may have missed it in the thread.

Mesa

No venue confirmed as far as I'm aware. I can offer up my double garage. It's colourbond so maybe a bit cold but I might be able to get one of those 'Spitfire' jet heater things from the old man (if it's cold) and I've got one of those patio heaters as well. Got some carpet I can roll out, it's not red though ha ha.

I have 2 bottles of co2 so plenty of gas if anyone brings kegs. Will have a few beers on tap, but sadly no hand pump :(

Anyway if anyone doesn't have any better ideas I'm willing to lock it in.

I live near Sovereign Hill.

I can make Sept 11. I will probably only just have the Oatmeal Stout in bottles by then due to my own lack of time. Never the less, we can always do the swap for sampling at a later date.

Have we decided on a location? I may have missed it in the thread.

Mesa

Sounds great Herbo - I'm happy to host here also but I must admit your shed set up is a bit more hospitable than my shed or my backyard and my lounge room struggles with more than 4 or 5 cos of the friggin dog haha.

okay, so this post isn't related to the thread but figured it was the best way to give you all a heads up. Vicbrew is now taking entries and I think B.A.R neds to put in a good showing this year. Related thread is HERE. There are some good brewers amongst us and I got a lot out of entering last year. Think I've got about 6 beers to enter this year.
When doing the entry form, make sure you list 'ballarat & region (B.A.R)' as the club and that gets listed next to your name when results are published (a great way of spreading the word about the club too)

So I brewed this Oatmeal Stout up on Sunday. Got a little more efficiency than expected (75%) so I ended up with 24L at 1.058.

Pitched starter made from 2 x 1.5L starters made with some a split of Lecterfan's starter. The starter was looking like a lava lamp when I pitched it. 1968 is funny like that.

It's already fermented to 1.024 in less than 48 hours avg 18C. Still bubbling away. Keep you posted.

okay, so this post isn't related to the thread but figured it was the best way to give you all a heads up. Vicbrew is now taking entries and I think B.A.R neds to put in a good showing this year. Related thread is HERE. There are some good brewers amongst us and I got a lot out of entering last year. Think I've got about 6 beers to enter this year.
When doing the entry form, make sure you list 'ballarat & region (B.A.R)' as the club and that gets listed next to your name when results are published (a great way of spreading the word about the club too)

Good thinking! I can muster the beer, just need to think about how many to enter in regards to mustering the entry fee haha. I'll definitely throw in one or two though.

okay, so I FINALLY brewed this beer today. Seemed to hit all the numbers so happy with it at this stage. Currently no-chilling and the yeasties are getting it on in the flask so will pitch in the next day or so. Gonna be young for the 11th but I will have beer there!

Back